Another round of name changes in Wisconsin

• big_g
    Isle, MN

In nature, the strongest and fastest survive best… the world can be cruel that way. Homo Sapiens were also like this, until we became “civilized” The rates at which we geographically became civilized, could be decades and even centuries apart. It is a matter of fact. The Masonic Order would definitely be considered “civilized” but the fact that it was gender specific, did not sit well with those excluded. We have come a long ways and there will always be those who want to go further faster. I wonder how long Garrison will be Garrison ? crazy

stevenoak

Wonder if Chris Rock would permanently trade places with someone that works outside 90+ in the summer, below zero in the winter 48 hours a week to try to make $60,000 a year till he’s 65 years old. To be any color he wants. As far as those horrible Masons. Why would anyone want to join a group of like-minded people with the same thoughts and set of values? Have meetings and goals that you all agree with for the most part. Wonder what my chances of getting a job on “The View” would be?

MX1825

Why would anyone want to join a group of like-minded people with the same thoughts and set of values? Have meetings and goals that you all agree with for the most part. Wonder what my chances of getting a job on “The View” would be?[/quote]

Oh No!
    Don’t get started on the View! There are a couple of them on there I would like to hold their head under water! doah

stevenoak

Thats the point. Don’t think they would accept me in their group.

castle-rock-clown

White men bad??? From what perspective are you talking? I as an individual have never taken advantage of anyone as in having power over them. What one culture perceives as proper and beneficial to them may conflict with another cultural perspective. Here is a question to ponder deep within Han individuals heart. Are you, whatever race or culture you are more American than someone who is not your race or culture? Taking into consideration these individuals are born on US soil.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I would say it depends.. if 2 individuals are born in the USA.. one is totally hung up on their “heritage” and wears the garb, eats the food, speaks the language and looks down on the USA… and the other, doesn’t actively try to live like their ancestors did, in the old country and loves the USA.. yeah, one is more “American” than the other.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

My pronouns are Chalupa and Carnita

buschman
    Pool 2

Are you, whatever race or culture you are more American than someone who is not your race or culture? Taking into consideration these individuals are born on US soil.

Absolutely not! That’s the whole point here!! One may be more patriotic and appreciate their country more but no one is excluded from the rights and privilege we were given. We all received these right because of our history and the people that fought or died for it!!

This country allows anyone to make a choice and express views as they please. That’s the beauty of it. We also have to stand by the same laws, regulations and even live in the same town and fish in the same waters with equal rights.

However, there are some that believe we can rewind the tape and pick fights about something that never happened to them. So many today want to erase history because it offends them or they are in some rabbit hole where they are told it should offend them. These people want it both ways. They want their freedoms and choice protected but also want to restrict, change or cancel the views of others. Its very common today for some people to think this is ok.

To believe anyone has more or less opportunity today is funny. Its just an excuse and what I believe Castle implied earlier. This will get people nowhere!! Same with changing names of towns, sports teams or even a lake. I would love to know how that changed anything. Instead it just leads to more changes. For the people doing this there is never enough. This is usually because the previous name change or fallen statue did NOTHING to help them.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

A while ago I predicted that every pro sports team with some sort of native american language or mascot would be changed to something “non-offensive.” As it turns out, some of them have now. Redskins and Indians are gone. The Braves, Chiefs, and Blackhawks are next.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Seminoles ? Yankees ? White, Black, Red Sox ? Reds… You know somebody is offended by all these… where does it end ?

stevenoak

I wonder after all the names and references are all removed. Next, they will bitch because their people aren’t represented or recognized enough.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Seminoles ? Yankees ? White, Black, Red Sox ? Reds… You know somebody is offended by all these… where does it end ?

Your answer is as good as mine.

The sad thing here is that native americans generally aren’t offended by this either. The University of North Dakota was the Fighting Sioux for how many years, and even with the blessing of the two local tribes, they were stripped of that.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I would say it depends.. if 2 individuals are born in the USA.. one is totally hung up on their “heritage” and wears the garb, eats the food, speaks the language and looks down on the USA… and the other, doesn’t actively try to live like their ancestors did, in the old country and loves the USA.. yeah, one is more “American” than the other.

I think you need to define what it means to be American than. I think for most it means you have the right to wear whatever garb you want, eat whatever food you want, speak whatever language you want, and look down on the country if you want. None of that makes you less of an American than anyone else born on this soil.

Patriotism and assimilation of approved by the masses mainstream culture doesn’t = more American. IMO to think that it does, is the opposite of what it means to be American. As a fellow American you are entitled to disagree and you arent wrong

big_g
    Isle, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>big_g wrote:</div>

I think you need to define what it means to be American than. I think for most it means you have the right to wear whatever garb you want, eat whatever food you want, speak whatever language you want, and look down on the country if you want. None of that makes you less of an American than anyone else born on this soil.

Patriotism and assimilation of approved by the masses mainstream culture doesn’t = more American. IMO to think that it does, is the opposite of what it means to be American. As a fellow American you are entitled to disagree and you arent wrong

You have proved my point and I need to define nothing.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

[/quote]

As usual always a pleasure to engage with you Big_g. Good talk

big_g
    Isle, MN

[/quote]

That’s what makes this country so wonderful and why so many come here legally and otherwise… and the country even allows people to leave it if they want !!! waytogo

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<That’s what makes this country so wonderful and why so many come here legally and otherwise… and the country even allows people to leave it if they want !!! waytogo

Yep. You are allowed leave without any problem, but I doubt many other countries would welcome you with the welcome mat that the US welcomes people from other countries. That includes those coming here legally and otherwise. I liker to see how Mexico would treat the same # of us citizens illegally entering their country. My guess is not near as well as we treat theirs.

buschman
    Pool 2

[/quote]

I see it different. Being patriotic just makes you a better American for the others around you. You do not need to be patriotic to be an American. You still get the same rights as others being an American.

Patriotism is not hard to define. I treat it similar to how you treat or view your work, family or favorite sports team. You have to have some pride within all above and should want to see all above do well for yourself and the others around you.

The people who look down on the county and try to tear it apart are still American. They are just POS Americans that do no good for the majority of the people around them in this country.

castle-rock-clown

Many cultures have their own definitions as to what they believe is “American”. Culture wars are on the horizon. Usually the majority wins those wars. But from a statistical standpoint the gaps are closing. The future will be interesting, one can only hope they enjoy the results.

Here’s another interesting point. In the 1800s a group of now long dead men made laws in Wisconsin that still stand to this day telling a woman what she can or can’t do with her body regarding reproductive health.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Here’s another interesting point. In the 1800s a group of now long dead men made laws in Wisconsin that still stand to this day telling a woman what she can or can’t do with her body regarding reproductive health.

Guessing your saying “recently reinstituted” laws in Wisconsin, since the Supreme Court (men and women) decided the federal government shouldn’t be making those sweeping decisions.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Many cultures have their own definitions as to what they believe is “American”. Culture wars are on the horizon. Usually the majority wins those wars. But from a statistical standpoint the gaps are closing. The future will be interesting, one can only hope they enjoy the results.

Lol you really reach pretty far. It’s humorous

castle-rock-clown

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>castle-rock-clown wrote:</div>

Lol you really reach pretty far. It’s humorous

I’m not saying it will be the same in blueprint but look at what apartheid did in South Africa, even to an extent Poland solodarity movement. The French are even due for a revolution. Putins back is against the wall, if he doesn’t complete the takeover of Ukraine he may very well face a revolt akin to the Bolsheviks. But hey, nothing to worry about in rock solid USA….January 6th was just a sit in. Thankfully I love Mexican food, muy bueno.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

January 6th was what? 10,000 dip schmits doing exactly that, being dips schmitts. I dont think that’s a thing to really judge off of. Unless you judge them directly. But that’s so far off topic, I’m trying to figure out how you go from a decent debate about native names being changed to Jan 6th lol 😆

castle-rock-clown

January 6th was what? 10,000 dip schmits doing exactly that, being dips schmitts. I dont think that’s a thing to really judge off of. Unless you judge them directly. But that’s so far off topic, I’m trying to figure out how you go from a decent debate about native names being changed to Jan 6th lol 😆

The connection is core values of groups. In the Jan 6 case it was a group of people representing a larger group of people who were unhappy about an election outcome so they tried in a way they thought best to change it.

As far as place names called squaw you have a group of people unhappy with that term being used, so they organized and decided on the best way to change it.

So the connection is groups organizing to achieve a desired outcome. Our nation was founded on that premise. A group of people lead by our Founding Fathers deciding that they were not being treated properly by England and deciding to do whatever it took to achieve the change they desired.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Guessing your saying “recently reinstituted” laws in Wisconsin, since the Supreme Court (men and women) decided the federal government shouldn’t be making those sweeping decisions.

The Supreme Court did not decide that the federal government should’t be making those decisions, it decided that the individual does not have the right to. It decided that the states now have that right and not the individual.

castle-rock-clown

The Supeme Cory decided that Roe v Wade was a flawed decision stating the Constitution does not address in a nutshell a woman’s right to her own body. With the current makeup of the court for a woman to have these rights constitutionally protected it would take a US Constitutional Amendment.

That being said, since the Supreme Court took a hands off approach, it reverts back the the individual states to address a woman’s right to her own body.

Sylvanboat

IMO Jan 6 was not insurrection against America but protest against a corrupt Congress. Why do you think they hate Trump so much? He is not one of them.

Umy
    South Metro

Biggill – women still have bodily autonomy. The state has the right to determine if it can happen within the state.
    What about the draft? Selective service is still only men, how is that “equitable”?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Biggill – women still have bodily autonomy. The state has the right to determine if it can happen within the state.
    What about the draft? Selective service is still only men, how is that “equitable”?

What’s the difference? The state now has the relight to decide over the individual.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘Another round of name changes in Wisconsin’ is closed to new replies.