Cleat follow-up

• Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

It’s taken me more time to get the pics off my phone and post this than it did to actually make the change .

I know it has been discussed on here a few times – by myself included – that the standard “T-style” cleats on Alumacrafts have a nasty habit of breaking rods. Well, thanks in part to a post by Mike W and some exchanged PM’s, I was off in a new direction and don’t expect to break any more rods on the cleats in my boat

Like others, I did not want to drill 1″ holes in the 3.5″ gunnel of my boat to install pop-up style cleats besides the cost of them. I was excited to these flip over cleats being discussed and after a few messages and a call to Bay City Hardware I had a set on order and being shipped to my home. Thanks Missi

Here are some before and after pics of the cleats. I had previously bought a pair of used pop-up cleats (over a year ago) and decided to try one of these on the bow deck – I like it I’ll be installing the other one on the opposite side in the near future.

I still have the back cleats to deal with but I’ll wait a bit and test these out but I think I’ll be buying another set to finish off the boat.

The install was was easy. Just drill out the rivets for the original cleats and drill (2) 1/4″ holes to install the new anchors. The screws do stick out the bottom a bit but it’s not an issue for me. I suppose you could try to rivet these on and not drill all the way through the gunnel.

Thanks everyone for the comments and the help.

jim-bailey
    Clinton County Iowa

Neat conversion. Can you supply any info for a website to order them? Thanks in advance.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I ordered these from Bay City Hardware & Marine – one of the site sponsors here – they were great to work with!

Bay City Hardware & Marine

Phone: 715-594-3118
    Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30 – 5:00
    Saturday 10:00 – 3:00 (Oct. – Feb)
    Email: [email protected]
    [email protected]

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Looking forward to getting mine installed but need to wait until spring. To dang cold to stand out side and do this.

Jeff Bennett
    Lake Puckaway Wi.

Those look pretty nice! On my lund I have broke a few rods on the cleats also. Great idea.

lonewolf
    La Crosse, WI

Do you have a part number for the cleats and do they cover the old holes completely?

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Sorry I don’t have the part numbers from these and if you look at the 3rd pic you can just barely see the original holes so no, they don’t cover them 100%. I was thinking about using a rivet to seal the original holes or maybe using some rubber gasket material as backing or just some silicone to seal them but will wait for warmer weather.

If you contact Bay City Hardware and Marine they can help you out . I ordered the parts form them over the phone and they shipped to my home.

I guess I did not ask if there was a larger size.

Dave

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.