Another New Boat

• Drew Engelmeyer
    Lakeville, MN

Here are the pictures of the new rig. A Competitor 185 in black.

New Boat Photos

Accessories:
    – TraxTech tracks (2×36 rear gunnal, 2*18 front gunnal)
    – 1198 for the dash and 788 for the bow (the 1198 that the dealer ordered wouldn’t power on out of the box so they hooked me with the 998 until they could get another one in)
    – 4 Folbe Rod Holders and 6 Folbe bases (4x pedistal for the tracks, 2x flush for the transom)
    – Yamaha 90 Tiller
    – Yamaha 9.9 kicker
    – Terrova 80 w/ iPilot
    – Wave Wackers
    – Custom Snap Cover
    – Troll Master for the kicker (getting installed this week)
    – MinnKota MK330 Charger
    – Custom Tuff Coat EZ Loader Trailer (gotta have it for the winter)

My Boat Buying Experience
    I said that I would report back with any issues. I wish I could say that there were none, but unfortunately things did not go as smooth as I would have hoped. For starters, to learn of Richie’s (kroger3), and to have Alumacraft tell me that all issues except the fuel tank could be chalked up to someone not doing their job was very disappointing. This is because my new boat has all the same leaking problems that his had. Lucky for me, my dealer said that they would take care of it so I won’t lose my boat to Alumacraft. I guess 2 boats with leaky storage units doesn’t mean 100% that all their boats have this problem, but I would guess that they have a design flaw here.

Also, after a week of being told by Alumacraft that my boat was just about ready for delivery, I learned that they ran out of the 2012 dashboards for the Competitor series and it would be 10-14 days until they could get more in. They tried to blame it on their supplier, but I call bs. It seems like poor inventory management to me. Lucky for me, my dealer had just had an order cancelled for my exact boat so they hooked me up with that boat.

The New Boat
    Other than those items, I am in love with the new boat. I fished out of it for over 20 hours this past weekend, and it was glorious. It rides and fishes very nice. On Sunday, I had over 600lbs of guy in the boat and was impressed with how well the 90 handled itself. When I am by myself it is a heavy in the back and light in the front, but I think a couple bags of sand on either side of the bow should fix that. Having a kicker with a tiller handle is something that I will never go without again. It is so nice being able to get the boat to troll down to whatever speed I wish. I think that this boat will keep me happy for several years!

-Drew

big_g
    Isle, MN

Nice looking rig Gotta get me a Swing tongue one of these days

ryan_mcneil
    Dodge Center, MN

Perfect rig and Beautiful boat

kruger
    Metro,mn

Looks Awsome!!

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Nice looking rig.

I suggest that you replace the Carlisle tires when you are able to. The sooner the better. Those things make a mess of the trailer fenders once they blow out and seperate at 60+ MPH.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Sweet. I like those rims on the trailer.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Nice looking ride Drew!

kroger3
    blaine mn

Looks nice Drew! Hey couple questions. Was the seat base on the rear deck an added option? Also I see one centered on the lower floor and once again notice that in the catalog but inline with the other 2 and it is not in my 2012 competitor! Yet another thing missing from my boat!

scott-k
    Red Wing

She’s a beauty! You mentioned that it might be a little “light in the loafers” if you are alone…I am often alone in my Warrior 1890 tiller and granted mine is heavier, but try filling your front livewell right away. That water weight may solve your issue. Hauling extra stuff around gets old in a hurry.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Saw- frikken- weet!!!! Congrats man, looks like fishing machine. Love tillers!!

joe-bauman
    Rochester, MN

Very Nice Andy! When are we getting together?

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Congrats Drew…I’m jealous…can’t wait for a ride in her.

jp

jakeh
    White Bear Twp

Nice rig!

Pretty sure that boat turned my head on pool 2 last night.

mfreeman451

Did you mount that GPS puck or did they?

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

with the wheels on that thing, you better put a lock on that spare tire, or that will end up walking away on you at the ramp one day.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

You got all of that and what???

No 360?

Very Nice my man!

Drew Engelmeyer
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

I suggest that you replace the Carlisle tires when you are able to. The sooner the better. Those things make a mess of the trailer fenders once they blow out and seperate at 60+ MPH.

Yeah – I thought that the tire choice was suspect. I will give them a year or so. I looked online and there are a lot of reviews that say the carlisle tires blow early.

Quote:

You mentioned that it might be a little “light in the loafers” if you are alone…I am often alone in my Warrior 1890 tiller and granted mine is heavier, but try filling your front livewell right away. That water weight may solve your issue. Hauling extra stuff around gets old in a hurry.

The problem is that I am using the front livewell for storage. Otherwise, I would certainly give that a shot.

Quote:

Whats the top end speed?

Sunday was the only day that I went WOT, and I had 600 lbs of people in the boat + gear for each. I had it going 36 MPH down stream without being trimmed up. Still breaking her in. I would guess that I will be getting close somewhere between 40-42 when I am byself, and can trim her up.

Quote:

When are we getting together?

Whenever you want big guy! I am usually out every weekend, and 1-2 times during the week! Just give me or my dad a call. We will figure something out!

Quote:

Did you mount that GPS puck or did they?

LaCannes did all the initial rigging.

Quote:

with the wheels on that thing, you better put a lock on that spare tire, or that will end up walking away on you at the ramp one day.

I did not even think about that. I will have to do that for sure! Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:

No 360?

I’ll save that 3k purchase for never. I have enough to play with already!

Drew

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Nice looking ride.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Very nice looking rig – I have the Navigator 175T and LOVE IT. Nice job with the add ons too, looks like you took your time and thought through them.

Enjoy the ride

Adley

Your boat has great specification.

MasterBruce
    Florida, USA

I bet you’ve had a massive fun on this boat. I’d like to buy this boat but a month ago I got a plate alloy boat.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.