This lake…

• curt
    Winnebago, MN

This lake drives me nuts… It doesn’t act like it should hahaha except for the amount of fish that user the reeds and rushes. I keep getting sucked into the reeds and rushes and find myself head scratching about the deep fish. Don’t get me wrong. The shallow bite for bass can be incredible but I’d like to get into the deeper fish. Any clues about the deeper smallies or largemouth would be appreciated.

Curt

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I’m heard a new theory about so called deep bass, it seems at times smallies can be a couple feet down in deep 30+ fow, I don’t know anthing really about times and conditions the influence the fish to do this, but I thought it was an iteresting theory, told to me by Al linder, whos friend fishes tourney bass. In case you totally bored, and not catching much, it might be something to play around with.

curt
    Winnebago, MN

Its actually on my to do list Nick hehe. I’ve seen them do that on Okiboji. Where they keep the same depth in the water column no matter how deep the water actually is. I’ve seen them suspended where the depth is 12 feet but they are at 9ft and no matter how far off shore I went the pods were still at 9 ft. I haven’t tried that on Minnewaska… I usually fish Minnewaska in late July or mid August and the water clarity fluctuates so much on that lake that it requires picking em out with electronics hahaha but I really would like to figure those really big smallies out. I’ve taken alot of fish out of the reeds and rushes but so does everyone else. I’ve popped a few out on the flats and on coontail clumps but I havent really gotten into the large smallies… so… I’ll be out there again for a week in August trying to figure out what they’re doin and where they went.

Thanks for posting that!

Curt

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Find the deeper Milfoil and run Rapala DTS over the tops of the weeds. We caught a few while trolling in front of the High School. This came from a guy who does it all the time and that’s what he told me.Hope it helps!

curt
    Winnebago, MN

Thanks Chappy!!

Curt

scottsteil
    Central MN

Minnewaska is a funny lake because you have 3 tiers of cover.

1) Reeds
    2) Inside weed line
    3) Deep weed line

After lunch time I usually target smallies on the deep weed line. All 3 spots hold fish but the 3# plus seem to spend a lot of time on the deep weedlines. Oh, one other thing, just because they are on the deep weedlines doesn’t mean I fish them deep. I think you guys are on to it when you talk about 2 feet down over 30 FOW. The deep weed line on Minnewaska is the one that runs from 10-13 FOW.

curt
    Winnebago, MN

Thanks Scott!!

Curt

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.