Aaron – Uncut Angling fall thru ice…loses everything and almost his life

• Coletrain27

I watched that last night. Lucky he got out and Crazy how he was able to get his stuff back!

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

That Panoptix is incredible! HB have anything like that yet. Wonder what still works that he got back?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

What was the value of the stuff he lost originally? Are a handful of Crappies worth the risk, not to mention your life?

Love the shows but it’s just plain negligence to go out there and then produce a video about it. What are you showing / teaching the younger crowd? Will the take-away by the kids be, gee he could have died, or cool, you see how he got that stuff back.

Not a fan of the first ice thing.

munchy
    NULL

Saw that yesterday as well. Incredible how he was able to lock right in top of everything and pick it all off one by one. Looking forward to the second part.

I do agree with Dutch though, this early ice stuff is just not worth it. He did say it was his fault for not being as safe as he should have been.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Some people fish for fish. Some people just fish for #attention.

Slabhunter

Agree to a point but Aaron does not post many vids throughout the year but when he does they are top notch…and he’s very educational…I’m sure he’s quite embarrassed. Also, there are some people who seem to know him and they elude to some issues he’s having and Aaron skirts around it with some comments…wonder if he has an ailment or some family issues of some sort…personally he’s my fav YT’er.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I watched that this morning. I watched his previous video and was thinking this guys going in…..sure enough.

I love his videos but he wasn’t exactly being smart.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Uncut Angling fishes so he can make $100,000s a year doing it…..I’d do the same thing if I was as good as him. Bet you would too.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

He sure ain’t fishing as much anymore since settling down with his gal. Funny how that works. It’s only a matter of time before he gets back after it, especially when you’re as big of a diehard as him.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I went in late last winter. I was checking ice, 3 steps out – jump, 3 more steps – jump, 3 more steps – jump. Went thru, waste deep. That’s a real eye opener. Got real cold the next couple of nights and I made it out one last time. Hammered the Crapppies.

I don’t think I would try day fishing though in those conditons.

Or last ice. doah

Chris Norlock

He still fishs a TON I vet just doesn’t make videos since its not a priority for him since starting a tackle business. I see guy that’s honest in showing an embarrassing F up and demonstrated to people EVEN CHECKED ICE IS NOT 100% SAFE .

Ripjiggen

I watched that this morning. I watched his previous video and was thinking this guys going in…..sure enough.

I love his videos but he wasn’t exactly being smart.

You mean walking out to deep water that was open in the first video where he even eluded to taking longer to freeze because it’s deeper water. Then going out when it’s 60 degrees solo after punching the spud/axe through several times. Then instead of trying to get out safely he swims around for a bit to try and save his stuff.
    Yeah not real smart.

Cameron white

Would have been easy to not put out the video at all, but he did anyways. If you ever met Aaron, you would know it’s not in his nature to put out a video just for likes.

DTW

Love the video. Not something I would do in this stage of my life with having Grandkids. However, 30 years ago, yes for sure. The technology now is amazing. I would hate to be a fish these days.
    I found it funny that he had fish marked above his equipment when he first got out to that waypoint. I would have fished first, Recovered equipment later!
    It really shows that any type of structure, no matter how small, will attract fish. Am I correct on what I saw on his graph? I don’t have that type of electronics so I am making an educated guess.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Jay’s video he just put out was one I enjoyed. Catching brookies in 5 fow with the Livescope. I don’t think I could ever lug around all that gear and still enjoy ice fishing, but it is cool to see those fish come up and hit the lures.

SW Eyes

He’s discussed in many videos in the past how he’s prepared himself for that scenario. He’s practiced going in and getting back out. I’ve heard him discuss the importance of controlling your breathing, shedding some clothing, etc.

He’s a young guy in good shape that can swim and get himself out. Has safety gear. A good understanding of the situation. Not saying it’s totally safe and not scary, but it’s not like he’s sticking his head in a crocodile’s mouth. It’s not some overweight drunken schmuk in a pair of hunting bibs.

The pearl clutching and condescension in this thread are a little overblown in my opinion. Guys push limits in all sorts of things without the same reaction. Stretch way into the back country on hunts, BASE jumping, free diving. If you are prepared and know what your are doing, it’s not a suicide mission like some are making it sound.

Ripjiggen

Would have been easy to not put out the video at all, but he did anyways. If you ever met Aaron, you would know it’s not in his nature to put out a video just for likes.

Fair enough.

SW Eyes

Is fishing and putting it on YouTube really any different than fishing and talking about it on a message board?

He’s at least doing it to make a living.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Jay’s video he just put out was one I enjoyed. Catching brookies in 5 fow with the Livescope. I don’t think I could ever lug around all that gear and still enjoy ice fishing, but it is cool to see those fish come up and hit the lures.

That’s what I thought as well, a lot of stuff.
    At some point you owe it to your loved ones to not risk your life over some fish.

Charles

I hate to say this, but I feel like its part of commercial the way he ended is last video.

He is actually posting more now, since he is married now lol.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

My observation was this……there are lots of kids who because dad watches Uncut Angling they watch Uncut Angling. I don’t know that videoing retrieving fishing stuff out of a lake because you fell through is the best thing for the kids. It was mentioned elsewhere that the video almost seemed like a promotional thing for the Livescope system. I won’t go there but it’s strange the way the whole video plays out. I understand things are edited in and out.

Maybe I’m off base and people don’t let their kids watch the videos. I don’t know.

Aaron is very good and I enjoy watching his work mostly. Where I have problems is when any of these guys promote unsafe conditions which this video clearly did.

Not that big a deal I guess, I apologize if I ruffled feathers.

mrpike1973

Pretty foolish if you ask me. Last time I went threw lost it all never could retrieve any of it. I don’t watch him I have given up on the infomercial videos. I would rather watch IDO. Also all that money in equipment and an ax? Really spend the 20 bucks get a spud bar and do a how not to fall in the ice video oh wait they are out there already? nuff said. If I recall when I decided to learn to ice fish the first thing I bought was a spud bar and cleats and ice picks.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I went in late last winter. I was checking ice, 3 steps out – jump, 3 more steps – jump, 3 more steps – jump. Went thru, waste deep. That’s a real eye opener. Got real cold the next couple of nights and I made it out one last time. Hammered the Crapppies.

I don’t think I would try day fishing though in those conditons.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

Or last ice. doah

Jumping on ice to check it is not a great idea. I could only imagine it lol

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Aaron has done more ice safety videos than anyone I’m aware of. He’s gone thru on purpose numerous times to show how to get out and what to watch for. And if you know anything about him, money and fame are pretty low on his wish list. He’s a nerd dirtball (I mean that in a good way) fisherman that likes the tech/camera stuff almost as much as fishing, and really came together at the right time for him to make a career out of it. If it all went away tomorrow, he’d be back sleeping in his truck and fishing 24/7. I don’t know him personally, but I know way more hardcore fisherman than I that do know him and attest to his authenticity and devotion to fishing.

Also, wanted to point out, that Aaron mentioned a couple times about going through some things in this video. He’s been pretty open about Mental Health and some of his struggles previously, so I hope he’s doing well and wish him nothing but the best.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

He’s discussed in many videos in the past how he’s prepared himself for that scenario.

Agree! And if you missed some of the past vids, this first one is my favorite – absolutely hilarious!!

This second one has a ton of good info. Obvious he has no problem dealing with being cold!

-J.

Pan Handler

Reading between the lines and doing a little sleuthing…sounds like Aaron’s marriage to Michelle is on the rocks unfortunately. Guessing that is what he was referencing with the “going through things”. I agree that it was not a wise video to promote going out on such poor early ice but a good lesson for all! I have doubts any of that stuff he recovered will work any more.

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

I don’t watch him I have given up on the infomercial videos. I would rather watch IDO.

LOL! IDO is as much, if not more of an infomercial than anything out there.

hnd

my belief is that he wasn’t planning on this happening but I also believe he was very unlikely in any danger when he fell in. he knows what to do when you fall in and likely easily pulled himself out, and then the rest of the video was just a genius way to promote that livescope.

When he attached (barely survived) to the video i was kind of like ooookaaayy…even though thats not his MO.

mojogunter

I know nothing about go-pro cameras. If he had any footage he should have all footage from the morning wouldn’t he? I would think that he would have shown the footage of going through the ice if it was a public service video more so than a infomercial. I hate that I think this way, but it seemed staged to me. It was a good infomercial though for Garmin.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.