22long rifle target gun

• Tom schmitt

Looking into a target rifle for 22 long rifle.
    Any suggestions for a tack driver for under $800.00

ajw

CZ

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Looking into a target rifle for 22 long rifle.
    Any suggestions for a tack driver for under $800.00

Okay, to cut the inevitable chicken off at the pass, just say NO to 10/22s. I have never understood the attraction some have to this poorly-shooting, badly made, and just plain butt-ugly rifle. Of course, as everyone on the internet will tell you, if you just replace the stock, trigger, action, and barrel with high-end, bling-bling, tacticool male jewlery, you can make a 10/22 shoot pretty well. Yeah…

AJW is right, a CZ 457 is certainly worth a look. Ignore old reviews from before about 10 years ago. CZ “updated” this classic and many things like the safety and a very high bolt lift angle have been updated, taking away all the negatives and leaving all the goodness.

Tikka makes the wonderful T1x and IMO this is an even better deal than the CZ at around $600. The T1x shoots TIGHT with no mods whatsoever.

Want something that isn’t what everyone else has? How about the Lithgow 101. Geographically-challenged posters on the Internet often wrongly say Lithgows are Austrian, but they are in fact made in Australia. Kangaroos, not Choir Boys. This may be the most accurate .22 out there unless you go well north of a grand.

Some vintage target .22s come up here and there, but it’s not worth really spending a lot of time talking about them because first you have to find one, and then it has to turn out to be now what it once was back in the day. Some of these vintage trainers were heavily shot with the old corrosive-primed ammo and so bores and chambers may have taken a beating in addition to just the wear and tear of thousands of rounds going down the tube over the decades.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Ok, I’ll be THAT guy. Can you add one more zero to the budget??? An Anshutz biathalon is so sweet. Had the opportunity to shoot a couple, just not the bank roll to own any.

I agree with the Tikka option Grouse posted. Great rifle

Tom schmitt

Yea Randy another zero is never going to happen, unless I win the lottery.
    Grouse that’s some great info. I was leaning towards the tikka until I saw one. Unless it was a youth model and I didn’t notice it is awful small.
    Even compared to the cz it was small.
    I will have to look into the lithgow.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I have the ruger precision in .22lr and it is a great shooter. I do see savage came out with one similar too that i bet is close to or even better. If you really had some dough though those gun works vudoo are the big ones in the long range .22 field.

wkw

My Henry 22 mag hits everything I’m aiming at.

Musky Ed

I have two CZ heavy barrels. Bought them to play with, and hand down to my two sons. One son moved to Colorado, sold all his guns, so don’t need two now. One is a synthetic stock 455 with some simple trigger work, spring change out, that can be changed back if wanted. Other is a 455 thumbhole stock, heavy fluted barrel, with an aftermarket trigger that is extremely light, and somewhat of a collectors item. Both have scopes mounted if I remember right, and Both will shoot about the same groups, and are tackdrivers.
    Probably have to keep the thumbhole stock one, as my son likes the look of it, and I think with scope would be over your budget. Haven’t looked lately, but should easily be able to sell the other with scope under your budget. PM me your phone # if you want a pic or to talk about it.

Don Carlisle
    Aitkin mn

X2 on the ruger precion is a tack driver I put a suppressor on it what a bast to shoot

Duke M

It is a little more money, but I could hardly be happier with my Bergara B-14 trainer.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

10/22 is a fine gun with a nearly unlimited aftermarket. I run a marlin 795 with ghost ring sights, because I’m not doing anything out more than 100 yds with a .22lr. it is more than adequate, very light, etc.

If I were looking for a new precision .22 I’d go with the Ruger Precision Rifle, however I’d probably go with a more interesting caliber like .17hmr

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

My Marlin 39 mountie is the most fun and accurate 22 i have. As a lefty, I am kinda limited, but i have a lefty cz 452 that i’ve knocked down a lot of squirrels with and a savage 22 stainless with a laminate stock that is a squirrel zapper as well, and has probably been used the most by me. I think the savage accu-trigger was one of the best hunting triggers ever and that 22 has accounted for lots of death to arboreus rodents devil

Musky Ed

Here is the Cz I was talking about. I has an 8×32 target scope on it and included. Under your 800 budget.

Attachments:
    1. 20221025_121854.jpg

404 ERROR
    MN

I’ll duct tape the head back on Petey. I love 10/22’s and won’t let anyone tell me otherwise. There isn’t a more versatile and reliable semi-auto .22LR rifle in history.

However, I’ve got a CZ 457 and absolutely love it. Seems to be a better fit if you’re looking for strictly “long” range target shooting. Mine is a WMR, but LR’s are built the same.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

I like my 10/22 but the action is from the early 1980’s with a Fedderson barrel on it now. A lot of variances in rimfire ammo to find something super accurate. When I reload for my centerfire 17HH I use a scale that is accurate +/- 0.02 grain for powder charges and it shoots 3/8″ groups at 100 yards from a crappy bench

Tom schmitt

Thanks for the offer Musky Ed but your bolt handle is on the wrong side for me.
    That damn left handed thing can be a pain

Ryan Scholl

I own a Tikka T1X MTR in 22 LR and it is a tack driver. My dad recently bought a Bergara BMR (steel barrel) and I think it might out shoot my Tikka. I think the Tikka feels better in hand and the bolt is smoother. Factory trigger goes to the Tikka, but the Bergara can be upgraded to a Rem 700 trigger so it has a ton of options.

I wouldn’t call either of them a true target rifle though. They are both pretty light weight rifles. The Tikka weighing in slightly heavier. Tikka does have a target option, the T1X UPR, but I’ve never seen one in store.

We both spent a lot of time researching 22 LR before purchasing. I was debating on a CZ, but settled for Tikka. He wanted the Bergara because reviews were good and I have had good luck with Bergara centerfire.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

If I had known how well the semi-auto Marlin Glenfield I bought in my teens was going to hold up I would have bought two.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.