2024 Vikings

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

If someone drafts Mccarthy higher than 11 they are an idiot and should be fired immediately.

If he last till we take him are they a idiot and should be fired as well?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Let’s say the Vikings do trade up and can take one of the 3 top QB’s. What do they do then. Plan on him being the starting QB and pay Darnold 10 Million $ to be a 1 year backup? Or plan on Darnold being the starter and have the highly drafted QB that they gave up a ton of draft picks to get riding the bench and hopefully learning? Neither makes sense to me. There are a ton of so called experts that believe Minnesota’s plan is to bundle the First round picks to move up to get a QB.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Let’s say the Vikings do trade up and can take one of the 3 top QB’s. What do they do then. Plan on him being the starting QB and pay Darnold 10 Million $ to be a 1 year backup? Or plan on Darnold being the starter and have the highly drafted QB that they gave up a ton of draft picks to get riding the bench and hopefully learning? Neither makes sense to me. There are a ton of so called experts that believe Minnesota’s plan is to bundle the First round picks to move up to get a QB.

Before you were born back-ups use to sit 5 years to learn and hone their craft. Sitting wouldn’t hurt one of these guys Williams included. McCarthy will be serviceable as a starter but he needs to sit and learn behind somebody.
    $10 million for Darnold to play while somebody sits a year is cheap, especially if the guy sitting turns out to be good.

People expect far to much out of 1st year players.

JoeMX1825
    MN

How about they draft the best 2 players available with their two 1st rounders and play out the season with Darnold. If they suck, they’ll pick high next year and can then grab the best QB available… imo that’s better than spending multiple firsts on a position that has alot more misses than hits…

I realize its kicking the QB can down the road another year, but the prices teams pay to move up in the too3 to get a higher % pick is just crazy imo… 1st rounders are too important to give away in the future…

Wildlifeguy

How about they draft the best 2 players available with their two 1st rounders and play out the season with Darnold. If they suck, they’ll pick high next year and can then grab the best QB available… imo that’s better than spending multiple firsts on a position that has alot more misses than hits…

I realize its kicking the QB can down the road another year, but the prices teams pay to move up in the too3 to get a higher % pick is just crazy imo… 1st rounders are too important to give away in the future…

Because KAM and O’Connell would like to be employed beyond next season. The reason no one sits their draft picks, or “loses and waits for next year’s class” is because very few owners are willing to play along. There’s a reason the Packers are among the few that have done so, no owner to appease. It ain’t 1985, win now, or they’ll find somebody who will (or can sell them the best line of BS about why they will).

Wildlifeguy

Here’s my last one for you Vikes fans, (sorry the Pack’s draft is gonna be boring as usual). Shock the world, package the 2 firsts, snipe Harrison Jr., trade JJ, use that raft of picks to move back up for Penix, Nix et al, 3 (mostly) quality skill starters on rookie deals for at least 4 more years, spend the savings on O Line and defense.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

it will cost too much to move into the top 3. after Caleb Williams, it is anyone’s guess who will be the best out of the rest. stay at 11 and if your guy is there, then make the pick. Kwesi will unfortunately do the opposite of rational and try to trade up and get desperate.

if you miss out on your guy at 11 its BPA. also have the option to take a QB at 23. I mean we have two brilliant QB minds in KOC and McCown, so no reason to think that a second tier QB can’t be successful in this system and won’t require a trade up.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I think Eyeguy’s approach and mine would be similar. Take McCarthy at 11 if he’s there, and if not go BPA in an area of need (which is probably anything but WR). Then at 23 you could revisit your scouting evaluations if Nix or Penix are there. If they want to go up much from 11, that #23 overall pick is just the beginning of what it will take.

Darnold was 100% signed to be a bridge guy. He’s starting Week 1 and likely most or all of the season. If things go well, great. If things go South, let it ride and don’t throw the rookie to the wolves. If you punt on Darnold Week 5 and throw a rookie out there who also struggles…you’ve shown all your cards and any stud players you have (JJ) along with the fanbase will see that a rebuild is going to be years in the making. It’s exactly how some of the dumpster teams have handled things and then end up stuck.

Wildlifeguy

Because KAM and O’Connell would like to be employed beyond next season. The reason no one sits their draft picks, or “loses and waits for next year’s class” is because very few owners are willing to play along. There’s a reason the Packers are among the few that have done so, no owner to appease. It ain’t 1985, win now, or they’ll find somebody who will (or can sell them the best line of BS about why they will).

I think Eyeguy’s approach and mine would be similar. Take McCarthy at 11 if he’s there, and if not go BPA in an area of need (which is probably anything but WR). Then at 23 you could revisit your scouting evaluations if Nix or Penix are there. If they want to go up much from 11, that #23 overall pick is just the beginning of what it will take.

Darnold was 100% signed to be a bridge guy. He’s starting Week 1 and likely most or all of the season. If things go well, great. If things go South, let it ride and don’t throw the rookie to the wolves. If you punt on Darnold Week 5 and throw a rookie out there who also struggles…you’ve shown all your cards and any stud players you have (JJ) along with the fanbase will see that a rebuild is going to be years in the making. It’s exactly how some of the dumpster teams have handled things and then end up stuck.

If things go South it won’t matter, because both the GM am coach are gone and they won’t care about the future. Neither are under contract past next season is my understanding? I guess in your scenario are you finding an interim to tank the rest of the way? What guy is gonna do that when it’s potentially his one shot?

Dan
    Southeast MN

If someone drafts Mccarthy higher than 11 they are an idiot and should be fired immediately.

You realize a bunch of people with more experience and expertise than anyone on this fishing website are thinking he could go before 11 right?

CaptainMusky

Hard pass. Darnold isnt going to do anything they could get a generational QB with that pick. Who knows if it pans out but I’d rather roll the dice

CaptainMusky

You realize a bunch of people with more experience and expertise than anyone on this fishing website are thinking he could go before 11 right?

They’re not smart obviously

Ripjiggen

Caleb will not be the best QB from this draft.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

It’s been written that McCarthy might be the most Pro ready of the class. He ran a pro style offense, took snaps under center and played in the biggest games college ball has to offer.

Does he have the talent of the other top picks? Probably not but it takes more than raw talent to win in the NFL. By draft day the guys who don’t need a QB will have traded back, the needy will have moved up to where guys are still available.

McCarthy will be long gone by 11, if he’s your guy you best be moving up.

Dan
    Southeast MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dan wrote:</div>

They’re not smart obviously

Hahahaha I have no follow up.

To Dutch’s point….Caleb Williams didn’t take any college snaps under center. Not saying a guy can’t adapt but it’s variables like that that can matter at the next level that don’t show up on stat sheets or win/loss columns.

Ripjiggen

Caleb will be a bust. Yup I said it.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Define bust. Mayfield was a bust. Ponder was a bust. Smith was a bust.

Expectations far exceed the talent of some of these kids pre-draft.

Ripjiggen

You just did. I don’t think he will be better than the list you posted.
    Not sure what Smith you are referring to however.
    Ponder is on a different list however too because he was not projected to be a star and did not go first overall.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

He will only be as good as the talent around him. Oh, lets not forget he is a life long SoCal kid who will be experiencing winter Chicago weather right on the lake.

Ripjiggen

Yes and no more to it than talent you are playing with at that position.

Wildlifeguy

Peete was a bust, Marinovich was a BUST, Rob Johnson was a bust, Matt Leinart was a bust, Mark Sanchez was a bust, Matt Barkley is a bust, and Sam Darnold is a bust. I didn’t list the never weres. Kid’s gotta hope Carson Palmer didn’t use it all up I guess?

Tlazer

IMO you really want to start your rookie QB as early as possible, to benefit your roster from the huge salary implications from what the better starting QB’s make which is currently over $40M a year. That being said waiting and not putting the starting pressure their first year in the league isn’t a bad way to go either. The Pack benefited from sitting Love because he wasn’t ready the first couple of years to start. If he keeps going like he did last year they were wise not to throw him in the game before he was ready. I don’t think McCarthy will be available at 11, and will be gone by pick 10. Next years crop of QB’s isn’t as good as this years, so waiting to me wouldn’t be a good idea either, plus the fact no guarantee next year or the year after the QB you draft will work out either. Better to try to find your franchise QB as early as possible since many teams have been trying for years and many drafts to find theirs. Look at the Jets for example, how many top 3 picks have they used on a QB, only to trade for a 40 year old QB named Rodgers. I also don’t think Williams will be the franchise QB many predict.

Tlazer

Just some thoughts on what the Vikes may be thinking about the draft. First they could possibly use the two first round picks this year to move up to picks 4-6 to draft McCarthy which should be available at those spots. Second option would be to add more draft capital and try to move into the top 3, but you better like all three of them because you don’t know who will be available plus he better work out or you just wasted a bunch of draft picks. Third option, and the best option IMO would be to take the best player available at 11 and use the later pick to draft either Nix or Pennix. I watched several games Nix played in this year and I think Nix looked better than Williams looked. Without the pressure being a high draft pick and playing right away, you can let either of the QB’s you picked to learn and play when they are ready. I think there will be teams looking at trading back into the back half of first round for Nix or Pennix since they would have the benefit of the 5th year option of a first round pick.

Dan
    Southeast MN

To your point Tlazer about the pressure of a very high QB draft pick- that pressure also typically comes along with playing on a bad team. They’re picking at the top because they were awful last year. Which is why it’s hard to really evaluate what a guy like Bryce Young can do, or really any Jets QB because the overall team is so bad.

The Vikings have a decent roster assembled for a QB to go to. Colin Cowherd said that after Caleb Williams, his prediction for the QB who turns out the best is whoever KOC gets because of the situation he’s getting drafted into.

Ripjiggen

Wow fields to Steelers for a sixth round pick.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Caleb will be a bust. Yup I said it.

your crystal ball tells you huh? Caleb is about as much of a can’t miss QB as I have seen in a long time. He would have gone first last season too.

Ripjiggen

Just a feeling. We will see…

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Wow fields to Steelers for a sixth round pick.

thats a great move and i dislike Fields mostly

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Lets not forget many here said Bridgewater would be the franchise quarterback the Vikings needed. Don’t bother saying he would have had he not gotten hurt. Prior to the injury there was nothing special about him. He was decent but nothing special.

The best thing about Bridgewater was he was a likeable guy. I’m glad he made some money in the NFL.

Viewing 30 posts - 151 through 180 (of 181 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.