2024 Vikings

• Wildlifeguy

Texas Tech, Wyoming, BYU (and I as a Packers fan STILL am not sold), Arkansas, Fresno St, Oklahoma by way of being booted from Bama, and Mr. Irrelevant himself. All but Hurts fits into #2. Of those I’d call 3 franchise players. There’s 32 teams last I checked.

Tlazer

I know Wilson isn’t the QB he once was, and not a long term answer, but last year he ranked 21st in QBR and ranked 8th in QBR throwing outside the numbers and is costing Pittsburgh a measly $1.2M. He could have been a good bridge QB next year until Vikes can find their next starter, and think what they could have done with the cost savings having Wilson at QB.

CaptainMusky

Ryan Leaf cough cough or whoever that other dude was who was supposed to be the coming of Namath and was terrible.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Pace yourselves boys, lots of time to debate the quarterback situation.

DANIEL BERGER

Texas Tech, Wyoming, BYU (and I as a Packers fan STILL am not sold), Arkansas, Fresno St, Oklahoma by way of being booted from Bama, and Mr. Irrelevant himself. All but Hurts fits into #2. Of those I’d call 3 franchise players. There’s 32 teams last I checked.

A Packer fan and doesn’t know Jordan Love went to Utah State???

Wildlifeguy

I honestly thought it was BYU, must be the purple rubbing off living in Viking world

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

My prediction after the signings today:

Vikings sign Darnold to a 2 year deal.

I think the Vikings will stay put at 11 as it costs a ton of capital to move up even just a handful of spots…not go QB (top 4 will be gone), and may trade back up ay the end of the 1st for Nix or Pennix if they stick around.

I also think Darnold could be solid in that offense. His career consists of being on a dumpster of a team with no weapons and questionable coaching, and then being relegated to a backup.

Other options that I don’t think will happen:

Justin Fields (Chicago isn’t trading him in the division)

Flacco (that’d be a disaster waiting to happen)

Zac Wilson (he’s proven he can’t be productive in the NFL even with some weapons and a good Defense)

Wildlifeguy

Were I the Vikings front office, I’d move heaven and earth to move up, draft capital be damned, if they believe that one of the QBs is worth it. Look at it this way, it’s a copy cat league, and what is the latest template? Cheap big-arm QB who can create, a clear #1 wr with speed, a dominant TE to create mismatch opportunities, a serviceable, cheap RB, and an average, but competitive defense and O-line. This being the Chiefs template of course, one does need to consider scheme, but as of now it could be argued that the Vikings, as much as it pains me, have a good number of those pieces, or are in the process of acquiring them in free agency. It all comes down to QB, and whether there is anyone available that has the potential for Mahomes like talent in even the outer realm of possibility. If they believe so, they should give up whatever it takes, if not, they should blow the whole thing up and get as young as possible until one comes along. The other pieces exist nearly every season, be it through draft or FA, the QB potentially only once in a regime’s tenure. Whether or not this crop of QBs contains that player, and whether there’s any possible way to get there, is an open question.

Wildlifeguy

Well the Darnold era should last about as long as O’Connell and Kwesi’s Vikings run should they find themselves unable to move up for a QB. The only question now is do they get fleeced worse than Ditka, or only as bad as the Panthers? Oh boy is the KFAN slate gonna be a riot today…

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I started out as a non fan of cousins, but came around on him some. My knock on him was he was not a big game kind of QB. One playoff win. Now as an aging, non mobile, coming off a rather serious injury, QB he was just not worth the price he was looking for. Had they signed him and JJ this team would have been unable to sign free agent talent for a long time. At this point I’m not sure it’s even worth signing JJ. Unless the Vikings trade up into the top 5 there is not likely going to be a good QB in the draft. By our current pick at least 4 and maybe 5 QB will be gone. I think the Vikings made a mistake in not taking a hard look at Wilson. I think he still has some game left in him and could have came at a rather decent price. Although Chicago is not likely to let Fields go to a division rival I think fields is also worth a look. I think he is a better player than he looked in Chicago. My prediction is the Vikings will be around 5-12 next year and last in the division. Might as well spend the next year improving that Def. And worry about the off. And a great QB down the road

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I see that Aaron Jones is expected to sign with the Vikings. Maybe the Vikings think they get a few great rush blocking linemen and some good RB’s it won’t matter who they have at QB

KP
    Hudson, WI

Aaron Jones is a great pick up by the Vikes and I think he has still has it if he can stay healthy. Sounds like the Packers wanted him to take a over 50% pay cut to stay.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Aaron Jones is a great pick up by the Vikes and I think he has still has it if he can stay healthy. Sounds like the Packers wanted him to take a over 50% pay cut to stay.

Yeah, looks like the Packers offered 6 million, and he signed with the Vikings for $7 million.. Vikings should get Favre outta retirement and your set.

Jerry K
    Coon Rapids

Thus far I’m liking some of these moves for the Vikings to be competitive this year, realistically I think they should unload Danielle Hunter, while he’s good this team has been cash-strapped for long enough especially considering the money wasted on the cousins experiment.

CaptainMusky

I dont hate the Darnold signing, but it barely moves the needle over Mullens IMO. Maybe a little. We will see what KOC can do to elevate his play. Jones is an upgrade over Mattison. I like the moves on D though.

toddrun

Just like Minneapolis is turning into a baby San Francisco, the Vikings are turning into a baby 49rs.

Shanahan believes his offense does not need a top QB, but they lost the SB because of poor QB play, and got beat by the current best QB.

O’Connell is copying Shanahan. Unfortunately, other than JJ, every player on the Vikes is 2nd rate to the same player on 49rs.

Vikes will eaily take last place in the North this year.

Brittman

Darnold and Jones are intriguing signings.

It is fairly certain that 2 (or more) of the top 5 QBs drafted in the 2024 draft will be the next Sam Darnold in five years.

In theory Darnold has a higher ceiling than what we have now.

Pick (draft) wisely … it is key to how this team will perform in 2024.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Just like Minneapolis is turning into a baby San Francisco, the Vikings are turning into a baby 49rs.

Shanahan believes his offense does not need a top QB, but they lost the SB because of poor QB play, and got beat by the current best QB.

O’Connell is copying Shanahan. Unfortunately, other than JJ, every player on the Vikes is 2nd rate to the same player on 49rs.

Vikes will eaily take last place in the North this year.

You really think that San Fran lost the super bowl because of poor QB play? They lost the SB because of their defense. Brock Purdy, the last pick in the draft last year, took San Fran into OVERTIME against the best QB in the game right now.

Tlazer

I think the Vikings are more a baby GB. Every year it seems like they are signing GB’s castoffs. Jones is a good player when he is healthy, and that’s the problem. He missed or was limited in over half the games last year, and couldn’t be a full time back in all his years in GB. Had 5 good games to end his season last year, and at 30 years old that could have been his last good games.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Jones should be solid for the Vikings, but he has to be used correctly. He gets better as the game goes on and has a real reactionary running style that seems to find creases naturally. He’s also going to be a + in the locker room and lead with the best of them.

The issue is at his age, size, and recent uptick in injuries…it’s pretty risky to utilize him in more than a 60/40 split for snaps played. Although he’s “listed” at 205#, last season it was rumored that he was much closer to 190# by mid season. There’s not a lot of frame there to handle 20+ touches.

Ripjiggen

Thus far I’m liking some of these moves for the Vikings to be competitive this year, realistically I think they should unload Danielle Hunter, while he’s good this team has been cash-strapped for long enough especially considering the money wasted on the cousins experiment.

He’s a FA he has already been unloaded.
    He is not coming back.

Ripjiggen

Were I the Vikings front office, I’d move heaven and earth to move up, draft capital be damned, if they believe that one of the QBs is worth it. Look at it this way, it’s a copy cat league, and what is the latest template? Cheap big-arm QB who can create, a clear #1 wr with speed, a dominant TE to create mismatch opportunities, a serviceable, cheap RB, and an average, but competitive defense and O-line. This being the Chiefs template of course, one does need to consider scheme, but as of now it could be argued that the Vikings, as much as it pains me, have a good number of those pieces, or are in the process of acquiring them in free agency. It all comes down to QB, and whether there is anyone available that has the potential for Mahomes like talent in even the outer realm of possibility. If they believe so, they should give up whatever it takes, if not, they should blow the whole thing up and get as young as possible until one comes along. The other pieces exist nearly every season, be it through draft or FA, the QB potentially only once in a regime’s tenure. Whether or not this crop of QBs contains that player, and whether there’s any possible way to get there, is an open question.

They have already moved on from their oldest players. Hunter Cousins Hicks Smith.

There oldest starter is Brian O’Neil at 28. Well now Aaron Jones for 1 year.

Ripjiggen

I still think they will be looking at drafting a QB fairly early in the draft.

Gitchi Gummi

Hope the cousins haters are ready for some major growing pains.

I was about to say the same thing. All the Cousins haters got their wish!

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Wildlifeguy wrote:</div>

They have already moved on from their oldest players. Hunter Cousins Hicks Smith.

There oldest starter is Brian O’Neil at 28. Well now Aaron Jones for 1 year.

They dumped Smith, or are you speculating?

Ripjiggen

Not speculating. As stated he is a FA if they bring him back it will be short term at a fraction of the cost.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Love me some Kirk but even I wouldn’t use the Wilfs money to sign him for those numbers and cripple the rest of the team. Kirk is a business/family man first and foremost. But if the option is to give him the bag or JJ, no one will fault the team for going the route they did including me.
    I hate Shanahan and how everyone kisses his rear for what? Now having to watch Darnold makes me want to puke a little bit.
    You can almost bet Kwesi will try to wheel and deal in the draft. I don’t trust he makes the right pick whether its QB or elsewhere.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

So Purdy was the reason the 49’ers lost? Excuse me while I laugh my ass off. jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester :jester

Carry on.

queenswake
    NULL

Cousins getting that kind of an offer with his age and coming off of that kind of injury just shows you have few good QBs are out there. All the teams are competing for the same small pool of them. Cousins is not a championship QB. He improved big time with the Vikes over his time with the Skins but he was never the Mahomes or Brady who could just make it happen in clutch moments and carry the team.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 181 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.