YAMAHA PROBLEM

• nord

I have a 2019 Yamaha 90 SHO. The first time I start it each day it runs for about 2 seconds and kills. It will start right back up and run the rest of the day just fine. This summer I would pump the bulb 6 or 7 times and that seemed to help. This fall that didn’t work either. I’ve had it into LaCannes two or three times with no success. Called Yamaha and they said to have them call their master service rep, apparently they didn’t want me to talk them. Any one else ever have a problem like this with their Yamaha?

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Mine kinda does this , I figured it was a little cold blooded or maybe I had the manual rpm adjusted to low. I just restart it and ease the rpm up a tad . I never seen it as a problem.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Just to understand the problem…
    When its cold out and only upon the days initial start up, it will start and run for 2 seconds and die.
    Then you just have to turn the key again and it starts and keeps running just fine. You only have to restart it once a day?

If thats so I guess I dont really see that as a problem. Pretty easy to turn a key…

nord

Mark-bruzek,it also does it during the summer, not just when it’s cold. I want to know why???? Yes, I’m able to turn the key again. Maybe I’m just too fussy.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Are you pumping the bulb before or after it dies? My old yamaha would have an issue with fuel back draining into the tank. I went through a number of primer bulbs and eventually added a separate anti siphon inline. That made a big difference for me. You may have a small air leak in the system that is allowing something similar.

basseyes

Are you pumping the bulb before or after it dies? My old yamaha would have an issue with fuel back draining into the tank. I went through a number of primer bulbs and eventually added a separate anti siphon inline. That made a big difference for me. You may have a small air leak in the system that is allowing something similar.

Any chance you got a pic or link to what anti siphoning device you used? Thanks.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Interesting Nord,
    I bought a leftover 2018 G3 17 Angler last year with a 2019 115 SHO… No issues whatsoever. I ran a 2001 FV115 for 17 years w/o a hiccup. This SHO is even better!…Hope your dealer comes through.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I have a 2020 Yamaha 90 SHO. No issues for me. It sounds like the gas is draining back a little and there’s not enough to keep running. On restart you then have solid fuel all the way from the tank.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Maybe tilt your motor up or down prior to starting and see if it changes?

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

I suspect a slight kink or fuel line/ delivery issue…. It shouldnt be doing that at all.
    The challenge is getting it to duplicate itself while at your service shop.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>SuperDave1959 wrote:</div>

Any chance you got a pic or link to what anti siphoning device you used? Thanks.

Something like this:

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Is that carb or EFI?
    …Just googled my question,its EFI

I suspect it may be a low fuel pressure issue.
    The system most likely does not hold pressure overtime or lower temp and can not rebuild the needed pressure quick enough upon or before initial fire.

Musky Ed

Try just turning the key to on, and not all the way to start for a few seconds first, then to start. I’m not sure, but I don’t think you should have to pump the bulb, as most of these new engines have an electric fuel pump. Should prime on its own with the ignition on, I haven’t even had a primer bulb for my last two Yamaha main engines. If this works, I guess you could look into why it is loosing prime.

nord

Dean Marshall, at first LaCannes said it was a pinched fuel line. They replaced it, but it didn’t help. Dave, I pump the bulb prior to putting the boat in the water. Going to the river Wednesday and Thursday, so I will try and pump the bulb ten times to see what that does. Will also try turning the key on for awhile before starting it. Thanks everyone for your advise. Will let you know next Friday. I also had a 115 Yamaha before this, never any problems.

slawrenz
    Twin Cities

The only time I have ever pumped the bulb on my Yamaha is after I change the separator cartridge, once every spring, go all summer without touching it again and I use it every weekend, all weekend, since 2013.

Musky Ed

I wouldn’t even mess with the bulb, and just try turning it on for 3 or 4 seconds first before starting. The only bulb I have is on my kicker. Good luck, I guess you could also pump the bulb a few times if it is flat, but if your 90 works similar to my last 250 and current 300, not sure why you even have a bulb. Might very well be a difference in how they work though. Good luck fishing, at least your engine always does end up running.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

All different, but my Harley with fuel injection you leave the key on for a couple seconds before turning it over for this exact reason. Let it build up a little pressure. Guessing that would be the likely cause? I always turn my key on, pause, three seconds for my Yamaha 115. It does seem to make difference there as well. I never touch the ball.

billy03z71

My 2020 90hp sho does the exact same thing as well when colder out side.

basseyes

Thanks SuperDave1959!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.