Work Sharp Knife Sharpener

• happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

I was looking at purchasing this unit, but want to be able to sharpen my fillet knife with it as well. It’s saying that it only sharpens at a 25 degree angle, but my research is telling me that fillet knifes should be honed to a 17-20 degree angle. Does anyone use this unit with their fillet knifes? Thanks!

Ryan

Timmy

I have the ken onion edition – it adjusts down below 25 deg. I sharpen my fillet knives with it all the time – works great.

ThunderLund78

Yup, my Work Sharp comes with a detachable blade guide to switch between Kitchen knives and outdoor knives – different angles of attack to the belt. That thing is great. I’ve done everything from fillet knives to serrated kitchen knives to scissors to butchering knives. It’s like having a new knife every time.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Yup, my Work Sharp comes with a detachable blade guide to switch between Kitchen knives and outdoor knives – different angles of attack to the belt. That thing is great. I’ve done everything from fillet knives to serrated kitchen knives to scissors to butchering knives. It’s like having a new knife every time.

+1.

Had one since they first came out many years ago. Careful, knives be sharp!!!

haleysgold
    SE MN

It works great.
    The FW cuts her finger everytime I sharpen the kitchen knives like clock work!
    Haven’t found much it won’t sharpen except the lawn mower blades.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

yep have one too and echo what everyone else has said!!!!!!!

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

It works great.
    The FW cuts her finger everytime I sharpen the kitchen knives like clock work!
    Haven’t found much it won’t sharpen except the lawn mower blades.

haha, I just watched a video on it and the guy sharpens lawn mower blades with it.

CaptainMusky

Does it work for serrated electric fillet knives?

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

+2

You should also consider a good sharpening steel like a F Dick Sapphire Cut steel. https://www.amazon.com/Dick-7598330-Dickoron-Sharpening-sapphire/dp/B001G8QN92/ref=sr_1_11?crid=X4UB8SCLLEWO&dchild=1&keywords=f+dicks+sharpening+steel&qid=1605806391&sprefix=f+d%2Caps%2C226&sr=8-11
    Once you establish your edge on a good knife with the Work Sharp this will keep it perfectly honed and you won’t be grinding your knife away every time you need it sharp. A few gentle passes, a couple backwards before a couple going against the edge, your knife will stay razor sharp. They are not cheap but a sharp knife is always worth it.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Work sharps wreck good knives by taking off way too much metal with each sharpening. A good set of water stones and a strop puts a razor edge on anything and you could sharpen for years without removing the metal that one sharpen with the grinder tool will.

I was just sharpening the deer gutting knives last night. Takes 5 minutes per knife if the edge hasn’t been totally wrecked. 600 grit, 1200 grit, strop. Done.

Save the grinder for the lawnmower blades.

Grouse

tswoboda

Work sharps wreck good knives by taking off way too much metal with each sharpening.

Grouse

AGREED! Would not recommend a work sharp for high end knives or any knives with stainless blades.

But that’s why I use cheap knives with good carbon steel blades for high use stuff like cleaning a pile of perch or bluegills. Same for the kitchen knives I use everyday. I don’t want to spend the time to constantly stone sharpen them so the work sharp gets put to use.

Beast

If you are wrecking knives you may be using too aggressive belt to begin with, watch some of the youtube video’s on it, they address many of the mistakes people tend to make.

ThunderLund78

I don’t really have high-end knives, I guess. I suppose if I did I’d be a little more concerned. And I’ve used my worksharp for a few years now (maybe run the heavily used kitchen knives through them 2-3x year and they don’t seem to be getting any smaller or worse. It gets used most on my standard Rapala fillet knife. I’m OK replacing that every 5 years or so anyway – heck I’ll probably lose it before then.

I have heard good things about the Sapphire steels metioned above. And I agree, a good hone is all you need most times.

Eric Miller

I’ll add it doubles as an ice auger blade sharpener… Works great on my Lazer blades.

Beast

I’ll add it doubles as an ice auger blade sharpener… Works great on my Lazer blades.

I have tried it on my lazer blades with no luck, you have a trick to pass on, are they the blades that have a curve to them?

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I have one and use it on my top of the line chef knifes. It saves me time when I want to reshape my edges on all of my Wüsthof and Henckels.
    As a retired Chef, I can use pretty much use anything and get a fantastic edge.
    Can you damage your knifes with one? Sure if you are not careful.
    Your number one reason for dull knifes…. Dishwashers

haleysgold
    SE MN

I don’t use the Work Sharp every time.
    I use one of the hand helds and a steel to keep it somewhat sharp.

Then after a few times using the knives, I use the Work Sharp.
    Keep in mind the Work Sharp may take a little more metal off but it returns the knife to the correct angles.
    I’ve seen knives that wet stoned and angles not anywhere close to being right.

Sliderfishn – Do you mean just washing them in a dishwasher dulls them?

tornadochaser

I have the worksharp ken onion edition. Variable speed 15-30 degree angle.
    Once I “rehab” blades to the correct angles and get them sharp, I rarely ever use any belt other than the 6000 grit polishing belt.
    from $5 chinesium deer hide knives to $150 commercial fillet knives.

And if you’re like me, you’ve had fun arguments with the wife about putting knives in the dishwasher. and yet there’s you’re kitchenaid commercial knives in the silverware basket time after time. flame

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Yes, the power of pounding water, high humidity, hot temps and the detergents are all terrible for your knifes.
    The high pressure gets water in the handle rivets, there weakest part, causing rust.
    The detergents are like sanding paper hitting that edge you are trying to keep. Break a pod open, it is a lot like gritty sand.
    99 percent of what you cut does not stick to your knife blades, take 20 seconds and handwash them. Your knifes will last longer, not discolor, and you will not have to sharpen them as often.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>haleysgold wrote:</div>

Yes, the power of pounding water, high humidity, hot temps and the detergents are all terrible for your knifes.
    The high pressure gets water in the handle rivets, there weakest part, causing rust.
    The detergents are like sanding paper hitting that edge you are trying to keep. Break a pod open, it is a lot like gritty sand.
    99 percent of what you cut does not stick to your knife blades, take 20 seconds and handwash them. Your knifes will last longer, not discolor, and you will not have to sharpen them as often.

interesting!!!!!! waytogo

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I received a Work Sharp for Christmas. The Combo edition with the set 25 degree guide

Can I use it on my kitchen knives? Fairly nice Wusthof set that hasn’t been sharpened in about 5 yrs other than occasionally using the honing rod that came in the block. They are getting pretty dull

Scott Gergen
    Hastings, MN

@lindyrig79 – YES! I use mine on our Wusthof set. If you have Santuko knives, they are a different angle – don’t use it on those. However, you could buy the Ken Onion vesion that has an adjustable degree.

Scott

buck-slayer

Ask my kids to get me this sharpener for Christmas after seeing this post. Worked great on my very dull filet knife.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Can I use it on my kitchen knives? Fairly nice Wusthof set that hasn’t been sharpened in about 5 yrs other than occasionally using the honing rod that came in the block. They are getting pretty dull

I wouldn’t. At least not until you’ve tried it on some cheap knives you don’t mind wrecking.

Just my opinion, but IMO Worksharp is way too aggressive for fine knives. Great hatchet and lawnmower blade sharpener.

I guess I just don’t find hand-sharpening with water stones or my new quick favorite, the EZ Lap diamond sharpeners to be difficult. Match the angle by feel, work through the grits, strop. Done. I’m fussy about sharp knives, but even a dull knife takes maybe 5 minutes.

The proper use of a strop is a game changer as far as getting things REALLY sharp.

Hand sharpening seems to have become this mystical thing to guys where it’s been made out to be way (or for some reason they think it is), way harder than it really is. I started because I needed to sharpen plane blades and chisels. I figured it out on my own, but later watched some Youtube videos that made it faster and even easier.

Also, guys seem to worry way too much about angles. Match the angle that’s on the knife or blade. Easily done by feel. No need to overthink it.

Grouse

James Almquist

If my filet knives start to feel dull I hit them with the 6000 grit belt a couple of times on each side. Next I change over to my leather strop made for the WS and hit each side again. I have never used the course belt on anything and rarely use the 220 grit belt.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>

I wouldn’t. At least not until you’ve tried it on some cheap knives you don’t mind wrecking.

I did just that today. Took some very old Chicago Cutlery knives that were very dull and it made them very sharp in short order. I was impressed.

Agree about the fear part. That’s what’s keeping me from sharpening my Wusthof knives….. need to get over it.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Agree about the fear part. That’s what’s keeping me from sharpening my Wusthof knives….. need to get over it.

I have my Wusthofs sharpened by a knife shop. Yeah, I could probably do them myself, but at $2/knife every year or two, I just let them do it.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>sliderfishn wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>haleysgold wrote:</div>

interesting!!!!!! waytogo

X2

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Work Sharp should probably make a tool that’s designed for finer edges and less metal loss.

coffee

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I use my work sharp for everything including filet knives and Wusthofs. You don’t have to drag it slowly across the grinder taking off too much material. I have a lot of knives and I love it.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.