Winterizing costs???

• slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

How much should a guy expect to pay when winterizing a boat with a 4 stroke motor? upgraded this year where previously my boat was 24 years old and a two stroke oil injected simply used to change the lower unit fluid and run it out of gas. I got a new boat end of summer and didn’t want to risk messing something up. Had an oil change and winterize on a 90hp mercury 4 stroke. Cost Me $280. is that a fair deal or did I overpay? had to take prop off to change lower unit fluid surprised me.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

It seems like a lot to me considering how easy it is to work on an outboard. What did they do when they “winterized” it?

I outsource the winterization of my I/O pleasure boat because it’s a PITA to run anti-freeze through it and you have to stand on your head to change the filter. It’s messy and time consuming and the whole service including lower unit is $350.

An oil change, lower unit lube change, fogging, and run-dry on an outboard would take me about 30-45 minutes. I’ve never been concerned about running anti-freeze into outboards, but even if a person did want to do it, that would be another 15 minutes and a gallon of anti-freeze.

Grouse

Dan Baker

It seems like a lot to me considering how easy it is to work on an outboard. What did they do when they “winterized” it?

I outsource the winterization of my I/O pleasure boat because it’s a PITA to run anti-freeze through it and you have to stand on your head to change the filter. It’s messy and time consuming and the whole service including lower unit is $350.

An oil change, lower unit lube change, fogging, and run-dry on an outboard would take me about 30-45 minutes. I’ve never been concerned about running anti-freeze into outboards, but even if a person did want to do it, that would be another 15 minutes and a gallon of anti-freeze.

Grouse

+1 for Grouse

I have an I/O and it’s just a shade north of $300 including an oil change. I would love to pay less, but I don’t trust myself and I really don’t want to screw it up and crack my block.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Strange design that requires removing the prop to change lower unit fluid. I change my lower unit and engine oil myself on my Yamaha and I’m the least mechanically inclined guy you’ll find. In the future, make these DIY services. Fuel injected motors don’t really require much to Winterize.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

Yeah, what TFG said.

Shop rates are in around $100 per hour.
    $25 for a gallon of oil.
    $8 for lower unit oil
    $13 for an oil filter

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

We are right around $170 to do that engine at the Chippewa store. That includes,
    filter
    oil
    lower unit
    stabilizing fuel
    greasing engine
    fogging cylinders

And yes some merc’s have the l/u drain plug behind the prop. That is not uncommon.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

That is something that you should look into doing yourself. Very easy and the specialty tools/equipment are pretty cheap.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Do it your self’er here about $60 in parts:filter, oil and lower end grease. I also put a $8 can of sea foam in also. About 2 hours maybe on my time. Plus it gives me a chance to go over everything else while I am doing it.

buschman
    Pool 2

I have always done all the work on my Yamaha.. I cost me about 85.00 the last couple years but run all Amsoil product for lube and wicks gold filter.. Seafoam with no oxy fuel and have never had a problem. My boat is an 05.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

The places around me charge $200 up to $240 last time I checked into it. After I saw how it was done, I do the engine oil and lower unit myself. The first year cost me $100, its now only $50 each time (first time was higher as I needed to buy the tools (fittings and hoses for draining engine oil and pumping in lower unit oil)

Search you tube on your motor

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

You can do it yourself and have the parts cost. If something goes wrong just find the mirror and chew out the guy who messed up the job. Or, you can pay somebody else and look for them and their insurance if it gets messed up.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

If everybody did stuff themselves where would our service industry be?

If questioning the price, tells me perhaps they didn’t do everything as expected? Always worth calling around if available, its busy season for winterization I’d assume so prices may be inflated.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Seems high to me. Last year I paid around $550 to have my outboard and kicker winterized, my boat shrink wrapped, and outdoor storage in a secure facility for 6 months. Shop around. This was in the metro I paid for this but typically the further out of town you go the cheaper the prices.

mojogunter

Maybe they ran antifreeze through the live well pumps and bilge pumps. I have heard of some places doing that as part of winterizing.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

just picked my boat from getting winterized. anything over a 30 horse was $90.00 and $40.00 extra for a 4 stroke. $280.00 seems excessively high

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

It is very nice to get to know your motor. By doing it yourself you can get to know how your motor works and be better prepared to troubleshoot issues in the future. Examples online for all motors on youtube. Dig in you wont regret it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.