Wilson Lake

• jason-cyboron
    Lincoln, NE

Walleye4, what can you tell me about the smallie action on Wilson? I don’t really want any specifics. I like to learn that stuff on my own. I have a Bassmaster Series Tournament down there on Sunday and I’ve never fished the lake before. I’ve fished Milford quite a bit. What can you tell me about size limits. I’ve always heard you catch a lot of fish there, but they are small. Do spotted bass have a shorter min. length? I do my best fishing when I don’t really prefish. Anymore prefishing for me is just driving around marking my gps with offshore structure and cover and looking for good shoreline structure to fish. Right now my plan is to find couple good points and start there.

Jason

walleye4
    On the Water

Jason,

I am not really sure on the size limits for bass at Wilson. We have never kept any. That lake is nothing but ROCK and MORE ROCK. Basically the whole lake shore has some sort of rock whether it be rock bluffs or rocky points. The smallie action has been good all season as my buddy from Russell has been telling me. Lots of smaller fish but nice keepers are available. As far as the LMB go, they are there but are out numbered by the SMB. Scott usually catches all his while fishing walleye. I could spend a whole day chasing nothing but smallies. We always have our best luck on SMB on the north side from around the ROck Island on west and up in the Marina cove and Marshall’s cove around the bluffs. I would love to fish that lake with you sometime too. I would like to learn some of the more finer points of fishing the smallmouth.

If you need any other info just let me know!

Good Luck,

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

If this is the right Wilson Lake it looks like the answer is 15″

walleye4
    On the Water

Not the right Wilson James. Wilson Reservoir is in Russell county about 25 miles ENE of Russell. I will look in some of my records here and see if I can find the length limits.

walleye4
    On the Water

Looks like the limit is 15″ Jason.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Right answer, wrong lake. Thanks for setting the record straight. I should have known some thing was up when the info on the lake failed to mention much for smallies and you guys talk about how good the smallie bite is.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.