Why the different receiver styles on the Savage 110 models?

• Reef W

I was looking through the different models of Savage 110 rifles and was wondering what the purpose is for the difference in receiver design around the bolt. On some, like the Timberline below, the receiver wraps around the bolt on one side. All the other ones though, like the High Country below and most other 110 models, the bolt is uncovered on both sides.

Why is the Timberline different and is there any utility to it or reason to prefer one style over the other?

Savage 110 Timberline: https://savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57738

Savage 110 High Country: https://savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57410

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

The only thing I see different is the spiraling of the bolt of the 110 High country. But I could be missing something.

Reef W

Here’s what I’m talking about, when viewed from the left, one is open and one is not. Weird question I’m sure it’s just bugging me to know why only the Timberline is this way.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20210401-121645_Firefox.jpg

2. Screenshot_20210401-121725_Firefox.jpg

ajw

they’re made of different steel so thats probably the reason. Hard pass on carbon steel action for me

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

The only thing I see different is the spiraling of the bolt of the 110 High country. But I could be missing something.

Top of the receiver is machined away more on the High Country.

Attachments:
    1. bolt.jpg

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

they’re made of different steel so thats probably the reason. Hard pass on carbon steel action for me

What is the reason you dislike carbon steel?

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

41XX Series steels have been used in rifle actions for decades…other than corrosion resistance there is nothing wrong with carbon steel in a rifle action.

In theory, assuming similar mechanical properties of the two steels used in either action (yield strength, elastic modulus, etc.) the Timberline receiver would be stiffer, which would lend itself to POTENTIALLY (key word) more repeatability/accuracy.

Reef W

In theory, assuming similar mechanical properties of the two steels used in either action (yield strength, elastic modulus, etc.) the Timberline receiver would be stiffer, which would lend itself to POTENTIALLY (key word) more repeatability/accuracy.

This is what Savage said:

The closed top receiver is a stiffer more rigid action. The receiver on the Timberline is one of the newest updates, with 8-40 scope screws. The 8-40 screws offer additional strength and retention over the older 6-48 screws.

You will see a closed top on many other models we make, usually premium ones.

Savage Technical Services

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Enclosing the top of the receiver has been an overall trend in bolt actions over the last 20 years. It enables a stiffer action with lower weight.

Also, with so many rifles using a detachable magazine, there is no longer the need to have an open action top because there’s no top loading of the magazine to begin with. With everyone using scopes now, the breech access is essentially “enclosed” anyway, so may as well take advantage of the strength increase.

Grouse

KPE
    River Falls, WI

You’ll notice the Timberline comes in left hand and right hand models. I would guess- and just a guess, without actually handling one or reading an owner’s manual- that the “open” models like the high country can have parts swapped to make it a left-handed model. Swap out ejector and bolt handle and it becomes a left handed rifle.

Just a stab in the dark though.

Reef W

Well, I ordered one. Hopefully I can see how it shoots in a year or whenever I can find 6.5 creedmoor lol

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Well, I ordered one. Hopefully I can see how it shoots in a year or whenever I can find 6.5 creedmoor lol

I admire your optimism. I’d offer to help with handloading some but 6.5 components are harder to find than finished ammo.

Nice rifle though.

Grouse

Reef W

I admire your optimism. I’d offer to help with handloading some but 6.5 components are harder to find than finished ammo.

Nice rifle though.

Grouse

I got a box of Winchester white box. Not what I want of course but at least I can shoot it and make sure it works while I look for something good. Few left here: https://www.opticsplanet.com/winchester-usa-6-5-creedmoor-125gr-fmj-rifle-ammo-20-rounds.html

Edit: and they’re gone, was 13 boxes left when I posted

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.