Who’d Mount A Squirrel?

• Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Hope the title would get some lookers. Spent an afternoon in the woods after work under a hickory tree and knocked down a couple squirrels. One of the squirrels happens to be black, which I think looks pretty cool. I was wondering if anyone would mount a rare, in my area at least, squirrel?

Attachments:
    1. 898592C9-D6B0-47B9-81CA-572E2A7FE3BC-scaled.jpeg

2. 68AB6000-DA3C-43AE-910D-3EC99E60A32C-scaled.jpeg

3. 9A527739-242C-4DDB-9228-AAA557489B0F-scaled.jpeg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

What are you shooting there ? It’s a pretty gun !!!

As for a black squirrel mount would go great with a red and white as well. We have lots of all 3 around my house.

wkw

Just shaking hands would be good enough for me.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Sure mount whatever you want, well with permission of course. whistling

Squirrel mounts can look really cool. Get a cool piece of wood and have them put on it together.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

I haven’t seen a squirrel mount since I did a couple of them during taxidermy class in high school, 20 years ago. I still have one of them & it doesn’t look too shabby. A black squirrel mount would look pretty cool. I’ve always wanted a nice big Fox Squirrel mount and idk why, just thought they were cool colors.

*not my mount but would be a great conversation piece grin

Attachments:
    1. Squirrel-Mount.jpg

Deuces

Lots of funny squirrel mounts on etsy which id have in the house, plain squirrel mounts r kinda weird but whatever floats ur boat, aint my house! toast

Sharon
    SE Metro

jester jester

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

This tavern mounted the squirrel to hold a cup and forced you to take a shot out of it. Had an indent in the butt for a better hold.

Attachments:
    1. squirrel.jpg

Jimmy Jones

Years ago, I was sitting on a snow-covered log deer hunting and a least weasel startled me by hopping right up in my lap. I swatted the little sucker, maybe a bit hard. I put the carcass in a sandwich bag to take home to show the wife. My hunting buddy thought it was a cool critter so I let him have it and he had it mounted. Cost him a c-note to mount that thing, maybe 5″ long minus the tail and no more than an ounce in weight. I’ve seen two of these things in my life and if I had another hop up in my lap I’d rather enjoy having the company.

It made a super nice mount on a piece of birch log to go with its pure white coat and black tipped tail.

Deuces

Was hoping ud post that rodwork, pic doesn’t do justice to that gnarly thing!! F’in hilarious

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

UPDATE: so last night I put the squirrel in the freezer and didn’t tell the wife. I worked from home this morning so I got up early, while the wife was in the shower, got the frozen squirrel out of the freezer and set it up on the counter by the coffee pot. Never heard a woman scream so loud in my life. She’s in the backyard building me a dog house to sleep in, think the squirrel mount will look nice in it. jester

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

applause rotflol That is great Steven. Hope you recorded it.

Charles

I mounted a few squirrels when I was in 6th grade for a class.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

WKW You get hah out too much!

We have black, white and gray squirrels. I’m just going to leave it at that. whistling

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Dupe

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Guessing you are Iowa? Blacks aren’t rare in wi or mn and season isn’t open until next weekend.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Guessing you are Iowa? Blacks aren’t rare in wi or mn and season isn’t open until next weekend.

Yep, I’m in Iowa. Although, there were ten Toyota Tundras from Minnesota parked at my spot opening morning.

dirtywater

Some folks would never mount a squirrel but then again, some folks’ll— like Cletus the slack-jawed yokel.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

Yep, I’m in Iowa. Although, there were ten Toyota Tundras from Minnesota parked at my spot opening morning.

Every time I’m there bird hunting I love seeing your big fox squirrels. Reminds me of growing up in Southern Michigan where that’s all we had.

Deuces

Is it just me or is there an abundance of black squirrels this year? Riding around the cities seems like more and now down in mankato same thing, curious..

glenn57
    cold spring mn

we have black squrrels at the cabin.

yea i’d mount a black and white one on a piece of wood in a heartbeat!!!!!! peace

MX1825

In Central WI you don’t see many fox squirrels but grays and blacks are everywhere.

Gerty

My Dad mounted a few of these little red squirrels for fun. Sitting on motorcycles, snowmobiles, etc. I turned one into this. I know it’s not a gopher, but it worked!

Attachments:
    1. Gopher.jpg

LabDaddy1

Omg, I agree with sharon- WKW that was amazing. rotflol

As far as mounting a black squirrel, I think it could make a really cool mount if done creatively and only once. As in only kill one once. They’re not extremely rare but not super common. Same with albinos.

Would be sweet to have an action mount on a piece of red pine. I’m thinking vertical, ass up, tail “flicking” with mouth open like it’s barking a warning call.

I’m sure they exist. I’m bout to hit the google images.

LabDaddy1

My Dad mounted a few of these little red squirrels for fun. Sitting on motorcycles, snowmobiles, etc. I turned one into this. I know it’s not a gopher, but it worked!

Dude, gerty, that’s hilarious!!! (laughing crying iPhone emoji here)

LabDaddy1

During my search I came upon this and found the title hilarious…

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0938.jpeg

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

During my search I came upon this and found the title hilarious…

Squirrel attacks are not uncommon, I have a can of squirrel spray with me every time I go out in the woods, or to fill up the bird feeder. Can never be too safe. jester Also, that Gopher themed squirrel mount is awesomely hilarious!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

We have more black squirrels than any other color here along Pool 4. Rewind 15 years and it was noteworthy if you saw a black squirrel. It’s not anything to have 4 or 5 in our yard at a time if the in-laws dog isn’t visiting.

I would probably never mount one. We do shoot our share though if they become too densely populated. I’m fine with some running around the trees, but when you look out in the yard and see dozens, a few meet their maker.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

This guy almost took the arrow. But the Grey squirrels chased him off

Attachments:
    1. 20230924_172906-scaled.jpg

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.