Wheelhouse Condensation

• patk
    Nisswa, MN

Did my first good cold overnight on Saturday and had some condensation/frost inside. Mostly around nails and the upper/lower corners farthest from the vents. One spot in the ceiling had some drops without an obvious source.

Here’s my question, do I need to worry or do anything about this? Insulation is not spray foam and original owner said he did put a moisture barrier in place when adding the insulation

On the plus side, propane and everything ran great down to -20. Was the first good test on the new to me house. Got a couple crappie and a nice way to get out for an evening waytogo

Red Eye

What kinda heater/furnace?

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

There is always going to be moisture as it’s a pretty small area. I have a small fan that is on all the time to help circulate the air inside. Even still there is a lot of moisture in the house from the snow you drag in, moisture from your breathing, water from the holes. I don’t have frosty nail holes but my curtains will freeze to the window frames at night. I would tell you it’s common but try a small fan to help keep the temperature evenly distributed.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

What kinda heater/furnace?

Forced air with two vents at floor level, 6.5×16. Return air is about 2 feet off the floor. Overall airflow is pretty good, don’t have a major climate change from high to low.

castle-rock-clown

Well, your in a box with minimal ventilation and your own body is giving off quarts of moisture with breathing and perspiration and cooking. Ventilate more often to remove humid air. I keep a propane torch in my fishhouse as sometimes the door freezes shut.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

If you have the wheelhouse back at your home, you can put an electric space heater and a fan in there. Crack a wind and let it dry out for a day or two. Do this in my RV late fall when the windows/walls get condensation.

Lot of water produced burning propane.

-J.

Mike West

Seemed to me that the better built wheel house I got, the more the consensation was an issue. Kind of Back A**words but my experience.
    My Ice castle had the problem, but my much better built Lodge was worse. Especially around windows.
    I found running 1-2 small fans and cracking windows now and again helped.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

If you have the wheelhouse back at your home, you can put an electric space heater and a fan in there. Crack a wind and let it dry out for a day or two. Do this in my RV late fall when the windows/walls get condensation.

Makes sense, looks like what I should do in few weeks when it comes off for the season.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Same as a house if it is sealed up too tight you will have moisture problems. Spend a bunch of money to make sure it is sealed up tight then you have to spend more for an air exchanger to transfer fresh air…..without the exchanger a lot of moisture can build up and rot out your windows…..this is on a house but the same applies to wheel houses…..not sure if they make air exchangers for them.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Crack the windows a bit, you’ll be fine, don’t overthink it

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.