What to do for transom saver?

• sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

When I asked the dealer about putting a transom saver on the boat I just ordered, I was told a transom saver isn’t needed. Said the motor mfg recommends against it because it transfers all the trailer’s vibration to the motor. He also said something about the G2 comes with a way to lock the motor trim (I think) in place for trailering. Not sure how to protect against the motor steering itself while trailering.

I would have cancelled my order immediately and went to a boat dealer that has some knowledge about boats and trailers doah

TripleA
    Blaine

This is what I use
    http://www.m-ywedge.com/

I second this. I also only have a 90hp motor, potentially not as good for larger motors?

Apparently Ranger sells there boats with these too I heard???

I’m not really looking to tell someone what to do or what not to do. A poll of what people use would be interesting. My estimate would be that about ~50% use a traditional transom saver, 30% use a wedge or something similar, and ~20% use nothing at all.

I run a traditional transom saver on my 115hp Optimax. It has not given me any problems, and therefore I do not plan to change. It also is almost impossible to forget about. The my-wedge could be easily forgotten.

The only thing that really bothers me is when I see people with their main motor tilted up for clearance purposes (mainly older boats), with no transom saver or wedge of any sort going down the road. That is asking for a disaster.

If you have power trim you wont forget about the my wedge because you wont be able to get on plane if it’s installed.

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.