What spinning rod should I get for smaller to medium catfish and sturgeon?

• Adam Giljum

I was looking to buy a new spinning rod and reel that I could use to catch smaller to medium catfish, as well as smaller sturgeon species such as the shovelnose. I have never really fished for these fish before, so if anyone has any rod and reel suggestions as well as line and baits I could use that would be great. I would also need to know a good size for the rod and reel too.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Where are you planning on fishing Adam? What body of water?

Of course I’m not really sure why I’m asking, I’m not a spinning rod kind a guy.

Adam Giljum

Probably rivers like the Missouri/Meramec and lakes around St. Louis.

Adam Giljum

So I’ve done some more research and I think I’m going to get an Ugly Stik Tiger, but I was still wondering what would be the right size and a good reel to pair with it.

Riverrat

I was going to suggest the Tiger for a shore rod. I use it for catfishing and occasionally musky fishing too. I have a 7 foot medium and its pretty sturdy. I have a 90 Series okuma abf baitclicker reel but it’s overkill.

Adam Giljum

Thanks for the recommendation. What would be a more reasonable size? Also, could you link that reel for me? I haven’t been able to find the exact one you’re talking about.

Riverrat

Yeah they aren’t available anymore, I went looking to replace the one I have thats 12 years old. I think they make a 4000 series baitclicker though that would be about right. And you don’t need a baitclicker but I use it almost exclusively when catfishing. Edit: So i went back and amazon carries the new version as ABF B Series. Super cheap reels but mine works.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.