What Kind of Bow for 4 and 5 Year Old

• Brewer

My kids have been asking about getting a bow because they like watching me shoot my recurve. I think it would be a fun activity for all of us to do together. Does anyone out there have a good suggestion for a recurve or long bow for young kids? I’m thinking my daughter would need something in the 9-12 pound draw range and my son something in the 10-15 pound range. Thanks!

blackbay

Genesis. They make a Mini and the Original. The Mini is 291/2 axle to axle with 6 to 12 lbs of draw weight. The Original is 35 1/2 axle to axle with 10 to 20 lbs of draw weight. My kids are older and they love their original models.

Lost
    Shafer, MN

I would also recommend the original Genesis bows, I have two that I use for introducing people to archery. They are also used for National Archery in the Schools Program (NASP).

Brewer

Thanks for the input! I’ll check out the Genesis bows.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Another +1 for Genesis bows. Great adjustability and they last forever. My kids have a Mini and a Standard Genesis bow.

The Standard will be too heavy for a 4-5 year old IMO. The Mini is perfect for that age group.

Thanks for the input! I’ll check out the Genesis bows.

Before you buy, have you done the dominate eye test so you know left or right-handed bow? Dominate eye does not align with dominate hand, I have a right-handed son who is left eye dominate so he shoots a left-handed bow.

It is much easier to get this dominant eye sorted from the beginning. Kids will rapidly adapt to shooting “off” handed and within 2-3 sessions they won’t even notice anymore.

Grouse

Ryan Scholl

I know its not as quality of a bow as the genesis, but for less than half of the price I bought my 7 year old daughter a PSE Guide. its an adjustable draw length of 16-26″ and a max draw weight of 26#. It is all plastic, but she can shoot it. Its pretty slow with her draw length but it should speed up as she grows.

Plomp

I bought my daughter the Genesis this year and it has been great for her. She is 9 but it is nice because it is adjustable so I am sure it work well for kids younger as well.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

I wasn’t going to reply, but looked at the price of the Genesis mini…$180-220. I picked up a couple Banshee bows at garage sales for my grandkids. They just want to shoot at a target. The Banshees work well for that and are a very cheap way to introduce a kid to a bow to even see if they have an interest. In my case the grandkids love ’em. Pull is more in the 10-15 lb range so might not be appropriate for 5-6 year olds. Will keep the Genesis in mind if they become more “serious” about archery.

blackbay

Normally I like to shop locally but Lancaster Archery Supply had the best price for Genesis combos I could find.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.