Webstaff – a couple more questions about the site

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

No, not even close. IE is used by less than 9% of online visitors in 2014. And falling. IE was used by over 50% of online visitors in 2008. There’s a reason they’ve lost so much market share in such a short amount of time…

That is true for all web visits. The most hits now are from phones and tablets where IE is not a player. IE is still in the 45-50% range of desktop/laptop hits.

So yes you are correct. Don’t know if the other data supports your demographic users (not target users) and blowing off IE at this point in time.

From a Chrome user.

We’re not going to blow off any group, regardless of browser used. That said, after some quick research it looks like IE was used on about 20% of desktops, tablets and consoles from June 2013 through June 2014 and my only reason for bringing this up was to respond to the assertion that IE was being used by the majority of visitors. It isnt. But that doesn’t mean we’re going to wash our hands of IE users. Nothing could be further from the truth.

troutbum
    St. Paul

View from my iphone.

Attachments:
    1. image15.jpg

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>rvvrrat wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>James Holst wrote:</div>
    No, not even close. IE is used by less than 9% of online visitors in 2014. And falling. IE was used by over 50% of online visitors in 2008. There’s a reason they’ve lost so much market share in such a short amount of time…

That is true for all web visits. The most hits now are from phones and tablets where IE is not a player. IE is still in the 45-50% range of desktop/laptop hits.

So yes you are correct. Don’t know if the other data supports your demographic users (not target users) and blowing off IE at this point in time.

From a Chrome user.

We’re not going to blow off any group, regardless of browser used. That said, after some quick research it looks like IE was used on about 20% of desktops, tablets and consoles from June 2013 through June 2014 and my only reason for bringing this up was to respond to the assertion that IE was being used by the majority of visitors. It isnt. But that doesn’t mean we’re going to wash our hands of IE users. Nothing could be further from the truth.

My quick research shows these numbers per browser use percentages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

FYI–I think it (IDO) is getting a little faster for my IE desk top. Now about 1/8th the speed of ALL other websites I and countless others use with IE 11. (Every time it has been suggested I change to Chrome or Firefox etc., we have troubles. I hear the same from the circle of friends we have. I for one ain’t changin’ something that aint broke.)

In the meantime, I will continue to visit and hope for the best. Good luck!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I am baffled how people have problems switching from IE. It makes me curious what the actual issues are?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

A few years ago some folks were talking about FireFox and how much better it was over IE.

I cringed at the thought of finding all of my bookmarks and changing my other settings to the way I liked them. It was wasted time.

When I did make the switch, I was shocked that all of the bookmarks transferred to FF and it was a 5 minute transition from the start of the download to using the browser. I remember saying to myself afterword “that’s the way is should be for everything…automated”.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Just to clarify how web browsers work. You don’t need to “Switch” from IE to Chrome or Firefox. You can install either or both and run them side by side with IE. Installing other browsers does not remove IE from your PC. If you like your IE, you can keep your IE.

-J.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Nobody has to switch to use IDO if they don’t want to. We’ll get all the IE guys up and running. It will just take time is all. If you want a faster experience now, I’d recommend Chrome or Firefox as the site loads dramatically faster in those browsers and formats correctly. If not, that’s your call.

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

A few years ago some folks were talking about FireFox and how much better it was over IE.

Chrome is the new firefox. :thumbs-up-to-bk:

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Jarrett, you and Pug are going to be the death of me…

…and when that happens, please spread my ashes on a popular Pool 4 walleye spot.
    eh, eh ehhh…

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I seem to use all three now. IDO on Chrome, Firefox has a couple of sites and IE 11 has the balance.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Like James said, ignoring IE is not an option. A lot of companies IT guys lock things down and will only allow IE as they are married to the companies products….and they are slow adopter, so ignoring a reasonably recent version is not an option either.

After all, how would people be able to use IDO at work? On their breaks, of course. And remember to thank your Union friends for the breaks, because without unions, we’d all be working 80 hours a week with no breaks in a sweat shop.

)

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

You are a wise and intelligent man Pug, I grow fonder of you with each and every post.:)

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Dang nabbit! I was going to call for the net, but I just got a nibble.

)

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

All I have is IE. The old IDO and IE worked just fine before the new IDO. So why would it be IEs fault now.? That every thing is sooo sloooowww. IE is working great for me on all other sites. Will check back in a week to see if its still to FRUSTRATING to use…. rrr

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Seems like speed is improving. I too experienced a lag in browsing, especially when submitting posts. I just submitted one on the hunting side that was less than 4 seconds. General cruising from page to page seems snappier now on IE and Chrome both.

Joel

deertracker

I just tried and learned something new. I highlighted a few sentences from a previous post and clicked quote and I only quoted that sentence. Has it always been that way? Just think of all of that wasted time I spent deleting what I didn’t want to quote.
    DT

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Always been that way criminal tracker.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

You mean it was like that on the old site BK?

If not, that’s a great catch DT and will save me some time. If it has, then GD I’ve wasted even more time than I thought to this site!

fishingdad

As long as we are asking questions. I just tried to post about fishing structures in the Iowa forum under general discussion and I kept getting that the page could not be found. I ended up just posting it under the General Discussion Forum. So are all of the forums not up and running yet?

Zach H

You are a wise and intelligent man Pug, I grow fonder of you with each and every post.:)

X2

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

As long as we are asking questions. I just tried to post about fishing structures in the Iowa forum under general discussion and I kept getting that the page could not be found. I ended up just posting it under the General Discussion Forum. So are all of the forums not up and running yet?

@buffalobeard
    Sorry about that. I should have that fixed now. It was a simple setting that needed to be adjusted. If you’d be willing to give it another look to see if you can access that forum I’d appreciate it so I know it is working for you and others. Thanks much.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jrhuberty wrote:</div>

X2

All hail the Pug grinpug king

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Interesting, did : grin :(without spaces) as a tribute to the old but it came through, forgive me while I experiment….

coffee :chasing: flame whistling :confused: :blah:

Off the top of the head.

fishingdad

It is working now. Don’t you just love debugging all of these little items that keep popping up? Thanks for the quick turn around.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

It is working now. Don’t you just love debugging all of these little items that keep popping up? Thanks for the quick turn around.

He’s got nothing better to do.

chased :axed: :unemployed:

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

bawling …….

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

There’s been a bunch of them and I’m sure there will be many more before this is behind us. But we are starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

James:

It appears that the speed is greatly increased on my end today!!! Will edit, but I think that the Chequamegon thread is the same as the IA GD thread… I will check again and post back… Took the time to run through the rest of the WI threads and only found the WI GD to not be working along with the fore-noted Chequamegon thread…

I don’t know if anyone else has suggested this yet, but the index at the bottom of all of the posts was a nice feature. Once a 2nd page is generated, probably not a need… but an almost full 1st page is kind of a hassle to roll back up to the top… Need not be at the top of the list…

It is getting better and can’t wait for the bobbers to return too!!! Great upgrade James!!!

Mark

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

But we are starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Are you sure it’s not the train grin

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

It appears that the speed is greatly increased on my end today!!!

Yup, every day things get a little faster as we tweak and tune. Things definitely took a big leap forward today with regards to speed. I expect more of the same in days to come.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.