Weak Helix 7 return

• Reed

Hey guys,
    I’ve been on hold with Humminbird for 30+ minutes now and figured I would turn to other Helix users for help. I have a new Ice Helix 7 G4. I was on Mille Lacs this weekend and was getting very weak return where I could hardly see my lure. The attached picture was when I was using a 1/8 oz buckshot. I messed with the gain, zoom, chirp and couldn’t get it to improve. My buddy I was fishing with has the G3 version and gets a great return even with tiny jigs. I’m new to these units and am still trying to figure it all out, but if any has tips on settings it would be great!

Thanks

Attachments:
    1. helix-scaled.jpg

Bassn Dan

I’m also a new Helix 7 G-4 user, but the photo looks like the display is showing the gain setting as “1” which is the lowest setting. (The half circle under the 23.4 depth reading.)

Is the transducer hanging straight, and is it below the bottom of the ice in the hole?

If the above doesn’t improve things, try swapping transducers with your buddy’s Helix 7 if it’s the same to see if your ducer may be bad.

Good luck.

MNdrifter

I had the same with my g3. I had to have gain up to 10 to see my tumbler jig. Also my boy was using my previous FLX28 in the same fish house and even with chirp IR he was blowing me up with interference. Could hardly use my Helix7.

Reed

Yes, the gain was set low. I tried adjusting it and the chirp settings but all that did was add interference. I did get ahold of someone at Humminbird who told me how to turn on the noise filter to see if it helps next time I’m out. It would be awesome if they had support available over the weekend when most people maybe using the equipment to get help.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Are you running a lead acid battery? May not be enough power? These units almost have to run lithiums.
    Restore to default settings. May not work for you but I had all sorts of clutter and couldn’t see my jig at all. I tried every button up, down, inside, out and nothing worked. Came home and restored defaults figured why not at this point. Everything back to good now. Wish i had done it sooner.

MNdrifter

Are you running a lead acid battery? May not be enough power? These units almost have to run lithiums.
    Restore to default settings. May not work for you but I had all sorts of clutter and couldn’t see my jig at all. I tried every button up, down, inside, out and nothing worked. Came home and restored defaults figured why not at this point. Everything back to good now. Wish i had done it sooner.

Yeah I tried running it on 9ah lead battery. Would only run a couple hours then it went wonky. Got a 18ah MarCum lithium. Now I got all the power, but still runs wonky. I will try setting it back to factory settings. Do you run A scope mode? I really like the a scope when it’s working properly.

Karry Kyllo

I’ve been running a lead acid battery on mine for two or three years and I’ve never had any issues.
    Reed, did you ever try your buddies transducer last weekend to see how your unit worked then? If not, it’d be something to try because it’d eliminate or confirm a bad transducer. Even if it’s new doesn’t mean it’ll work right.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eyeguy507 wrote:</div>

Do you run A scope mode? I really like the a scope when it’s working properly.

Yes A scope. It’s neat but just a different view.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

This was my screen prior to restoring. I tried everything to get rid of it. No idea how or what happened?

Attachments:
    1. 20220116_144921-scaled.jpg

Matthew Sandys

In Sonar settings your unit is set on switch fire. Change it to MAX. Will help you out.

Ryan Scholl

also double check if jigging mode is on

Reed

I’m running the Norsk Lithium battery that came with the unit.
    No I didn’t try my friends transducer. I may have to do that next time I’m on the ice with him.

I’ve been running a lead acid battery on mine for two or three years and I’ve never had any issues.
    Reed, did you ever try your buddies transducer last weekend to see how your unit worked then? If not, it’d be something to try because it’d eliminate or confirm a bad transducer. Even if it’s new doesn’t mean it’ll work right.

Reed

I don’t see a “Jigging Mode” option in the menu.

Matthew Sandys

2D SwitchFire
    Humminbird incorporates two different sonar settings called SwitchFire. Choose from Max Mode or Clear Mode. When you power on the ice fishing unit for the first time it defaults to Clear Mode.

Max Mode shows the highest level of sonar detail possible so you can see thermoclines, small bait fish and your jig. Clear Mode, on the other hand, filters out weaker signals and only reveals larger objects like structure and fish.

For general ice fishing situations, use Max Mode to get the best signals in depths over 8 feet.

Change the SwitchFire setting from the default by pressing the Menu button twice. Arrow over to the Sonar tab and arrow down to the 2D SwitchFire selection. Press the cursor button to the left to toggle it into Max Mode.

For shallow water less than 8 ft, use Clear Mode instead. Clear Mode eliminates a lot of sonar interference and shadow returns making it easier to see your lure or bait as well as fish.

Gary M

Not sure but I would double check to see if your in ICE fishing mode..
    I did that mistake in open water I was still on ice fishing mode and my screen still worked but acted strange..
    JUST a thought

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I’m running the Norsk Lithium battery that came with the unit.
    No I didn’t try my friends transducer. I may have to do that next time I’m on the ice with him.

I only ask because I have never seen a lithium read anything but 100%. yours was showing 96% but maybe the G4 units now measure the voltage and display it as a percentage?

mojo

I only ask because I have never seen a lithium read anything but 100%. yours was showing 96% but maybe the G4 units now measure the voltage and display it as a percentage?

If you update to software version 2.660, there is an option to choose a battery type that gives a more accurate battery percentage with lithium batteries.

Mr Big Eves
    Prior Lake, MN

Also check to make sure you are selecting the correct transducer that you have in the settings.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Yeah I tried running it on 9ah lead battery. Would only run a couple hours then it went wonky. Got a 18ah MarCum lithium. Now I got all the power, but still runs wonky. I will try setting it back to factory settings. Do you run A scope mode? I really like the a scope when it’s working properly.

Sounds like a pos.

MNdrifter

<blockquote

Sounds like a pos.

Yeah. I’m hoping this is the learning curve, but so far I am not impressed. I was hoping this would be an upgrade from my 28 vex. I already gave my son the vex and he ain’t giving it up. I really wanted the mega side imaging for the boat, so if need be I can sell the ice bundle and not be out anything.

Ryan Scholl

I don’t see a “Jigging Mode” option in the menu.

Sorry you are right. That was an older thing. I compared my helix 7 to my dad’s helix 7. My unit is running older software where “jigging mode” is a thing

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    <blockquote

Sounds like a pos.

Yeah. I’m hoping this is the learning curve, but so far I am not impressed. I was hoping this would be an upgrade from my 28 vex. I already gave my son the vex and he ain’t giving it up. I really wanted the mega side imaging for the boat, so if need be I can sell the ice bundle and not be out anything.

I really like my 28 so far. I also have a garmin set up, but the vex is so simple I only use the garmin for mapping.

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

There is a check mark button on the unit that when you press it will change the beam angle/frequency as well as the interference settings. Might be like 7 or 8 settings. Usually when I am fishing with mine I press this until I get the screen to look the best. I have a vexilar fl-8 and fish them side by side all the time and am able to pretty easily get interference issues resolved with the check mark button.

Attachments:
    1. helix-1.jpg

eyeguy507
    SE MN

There is a check mark button on the unit that when you press it will change the beam angle/frequency as well as the interference settings. Might be like 7 or 8 settings. Usually when I am fishing with mine I press this until I get the screen to look the best. I have a vexilar fl-8 and fish them side by side all the time and am able to pretty easily get interference issues resolved with the check mark button.

this was not interference, i was the only one with a flasher within 500 yards. trust me i tried every button. i ended up putting the chirp IR to 3 and turn the gain down to salvage my trip.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    <blockquote

Sounds like a pos.

don’t give up on it. any new tech is going to have a learning curve. i hung on to my ice 55 for a year until i felt comfortable with the Helix.

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

I am sure there is another way to switch the cone angle frequency, but this seems to be the easiest way for me. You should get a better return with a narrower cone angle. Like mentioned there is a bit of a learning curve to these. It does seem like you have to run the gain pretty high most of the time. I would say I am usually running above 10 for my gain depending on the size of lure.

Loren I Duerr

I have a 7 gen 3 and have noticed while fishing in 50 fow I have noticed that when I am over a rock bar I get interference the bottom 15 ft. As soon as I moved off the rocks it goes away. I can see the rocks with the camera. No Idea why or what to do about it. Any suggestions?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.