Weekend report!!

• 690reece
    Hutchinson,Minnesota

I hunted Lake Onamia with 2 friends for the opener and all I can say is WOW ! I have never hunted the lake before much less wild rice and I was amazed at the number and variety of the birds we saw waiting to put out decoys. We set up on a small island of cattails with a small opening in front for the decoys and the birds to work. We set up 3 dozen decoys and waited for 9:00. It was crazy for the first 30 minutes and you did not have time to set your gun down for fear of getting “BUZZED” and we were all looking in different directions when the ducks would come from the one spot we were not watching and rip threw the spread and be gone. We shot 18 ducks in less than an hour with 3 mallards, 13 teal(only 1 green wing), 1 ringneck, and 1 woodduck. The warden said that we were the only ones to limit on opener as the 2 guys I hunted with went back there on Sunday while I hunted by Hutchinson.

On Sunday I hunted by Hutchinson and had the BEST and WORST second day of the duck season. I hunted by myself as my brother had to work and only set out 10 goose floaters and 18 mallard decoys. The morning was beautiful and their were ducks and geese around constantly to keep me on my toes. I called in a Cackler goose for the first bird and proceeded to limit on ducks and geese in less than 3 hours. . I picked up the deeks and headed for the landing feeling 10 feet tall . I beached the boat and walked to my suburban only to find that someone has broke in through the drivers side window and stole over $2,000 worth of gear and property from me and my family ! Words cannot describe the feelings that I had going through me! I loaded the boat and did a quick inventory of what I knew was stolen and then I called the McLeod County Sheriff and filed a claim.
    I guess the biggest problem is I left my wallet in the center counsel and the scumbag took that as well. Does anyone have any advice for me on what to do when everything is taken? I have done the normal things, cancel credit cards, cancel my wife’s cell phone and talked to the local pawn shop. I might pay closer attention to craigslist in the next few weeks, but other than that I do not know. Any help is appreciated! Good Luck to all of you guys and be sure and take the extra stuff out of your vehicle or bring it with you.

Thanks,

Cory

walleyefisher87
    Central MN/SJU

looks like a blast and congrats on some fun hunts… to bad about the thieves…they will get karma going back there way….My weekend report…..hmmmm johnnie/tommie game and homecoming equaled me shooting down the left and right…..never made it out but it was one for the books and i couldnt miss…

jetdriver
    Hudson WI

Congrats on the hunt!
    Give us a list of what is missing so we can keep an eye out for them!!

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Some people are unbelievable…. Just this weekend my hunting buddy was retelling me how he got all his GHG decoys stolen; out of his parents machine shed!!!

On the great shoots. x2 on the true cackler, and not just a dirty lesser. Keep the little guy interested, thats how I started.

sgt_at_arms2000

Im jealous! Goin out this Sunday and Saturday, hope to get half that! Nice shootin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.