Wanna Give Back???

• prieser
    Byron, MN

Zone 3A, second week of the 1st deer season – Dates are November 13th through the 16th. There will be a special hunt for disabled American Veterans and their families. It is at Chesterwoods County Park down here by Rochester. They are looking for all kinds of forms of assistance for this hunt. Taking the guys and their families to the blinds/stands, cooking and helping with meals, helping drag and gut deer, photos, set up, clean up, you name it…..everything and anything that may take place during a hunt, they need help pulling it together. Some of these vets have never stepped foot in the woods to pursue deer, some of them have lost the ability and some have lost the spark. For some it will be a way to move forward, for some it will be a chance to forget (even if it’s just for a short time) some of them will fulfill a long dream of going on a deer hunt. I do know that, all of them will have the chance to spend the weekend in the woods and have the fellowship of their peers and the admiration of us volunteers. If you choose to come down, I promise that you won’t soon forget this event.

If you are interested, I’ll leave my cell phone number below. I’ll get you some more information if you need it. If I don’t know the answer, I’ll find out. If you want just show up at the gate and tell them your hear to help out a vet, If no one is at the gate, drive right on in, there will be signs to guide you. Wear or bring your Hunter Orange regardless of what you’d like to help with.

Maybe you’ve already filled your tags, maybe your hunting second season, maybe you just want to show your thanks to our vets. There truly is no excuse needed to help.

Bob Pries aka The Prieser – 507-993-2753
    Thanks IDO

prieser
    Byron, MN

It was a pretty successful weekend. The deer didn’t cooperate the greatest, but our vets still had a good week. I talked my buddy Logan into helping out this past weekend for the Disable Veterans Hunt. From my understanding I believe there were roughly 32 vets and an additional 20 family members – wives, kids and parents that participated in this years hunt.

We were told to come down around 9:00 am on Saturday morning and they would let us know what they needed help with. Many of the hunters were already starting to file into the maintenance shop and get some grub in their bellies and the chill out of their bones. By the look of the deer pile it had been a fairly fun few days. We counted 13 deer laying on the ground, everything from a large 11 point that was pushing 150″ if not over, to button bucks, does and doe fawns as well. I am pretty certain that all these deer were trophies.

The vets were chatting and talking about the afternoon sit. A large group photo was taken and they put 8-10 of us to work skinning and butchering the weeks harvests. By 3:00 in the afternoon all the deer had been skinned and deboned. Let me tell you, there were some great volunteers there and they really knew how to make short work of them deer. We were averaging a deer every 30 to 40 minutes. My back was killing me and my feet were begging for a chair. But it all seemed very worth it.

I can tell you that I shook a lot of hands that day from vets trying to tell me how much they appreciated the help. It was a great feeling that was equally if not more reciprocated back to them for their service and their duty to our country. I did take some photos, but I’m only going to share the ones of Logan as to not infringe on anyone’s privacy.

If anyone would like to help out next year, it is truly worth it.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20141115_124213_832.jpg

2. IMG_20141115_124202_011.jpg

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.