Fridley Minn. Info

• walleyeflats
    Illinois City, Illinois

Would like info on eye fishing and ramps on the Mississippi in the Fridley, MN area.

Thanks, Chuck

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

There is a launch south of 694 on the east side of the river. It’s in a park off East River Road. I think there is an earthen access near the Camden Bridge, never used it. There is another landing farther south at Boom Island. There is a small harbor, and concrete ramp, you could get just about any rig in there. Anything from Camden bridge north is touch and go this time of year, average depth is probably 4 feet, north of 694 up to the Coon Rapids Dam is even worse, until you get up the area just south of the dam.

What kind of rig are you planning on running? I wouldn’t suggest anything bigger than a 16 foot Jon, or a jet boat. I think just north of 694 is called Islands of Peace park, stay on the west side chanel, the east side is about 12 inches deep.

Basically if you see riffles, or it looks shallow, it is.

The only walleye fishing I have done on that stretch has been from shore, usually in the spring. Around the dam is hot early in the year, and where Coon Creek pours in on the south end of the CR Dam park. Where Rice Creek pours in at Manomin park. There is some much deeper water down south of the power plant near Downtown, never caught any walleyes down there, can’t say I ever tried. I have spent a night or two on the rip rap in front of that corny lighthouse they have down at Boom Island, lot’s of cats to be had.

Good luck, I hope the best for your prop.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

I just noticed you are from Illinois. Frankly, there isn’t much of a walleye fishery until you get down to St. Paul, from the Ford Dam south, lot’s of guys on the site fish Pool 2, they fish the wingdams down there. It is about a 35-45 minute drive from Fridley to the 494 access, I would definitely suggest going there. There is another access at Hidden Falls park, that is just below the Ford Dam, probably about a half hour from Fridley with no traffic. Definitely check the Pool 2 reports.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Ill second what Dan said. Plenty of small mouth in the Fridley section of river. Most of that pool may be better suited for wading or canoe right now. Im sure there are still a few walleyes hanging around in there.

walleyeflats
    Illinois City, Illinois

Dan and Mike thanks for the info.When i visit my son i will trailer to p2 or Red Wing,Dan i run a Ranger 1850 its not getting close to old MISS in Fridley area. Thanks again Chuck

sippiriverrat
    Andover MN.

I was fishing in the Fridley area out of my old flat one day and this idiot in a fiberglass runabout comes over and drives right thru were I was casting, I mean 25 ft away from my boat, I was pissed so I didn’t bother to warn him that I was fishing a rock pile that was 2ft deep, I watched him plant his boat ontop of those rocks, I reeled in…..smiled and moved to my next spot

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Looked at the ramp below 694 today. The end of the cement is a good 5 to 10 from touching the water. There was one trailer in the parking lot.

John I had a cruiser do that to me on pool 2 on Saturday. 1st time it has happened to me down there. Now I know what guys fishing other pools go threw.

sippiriverrat
    Andover MN.

I think alot of times it’s just the simple fact that some people just don’t have a clue, they don’t know there is a channel or what the buoy’s are for, I had a guy blast over a wingdam last weekend in a big crusier, I thought for sure he was going to bottom out.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.