Pool 2 June 20-21

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

The walleyes where still on the chew on pool 2 this weekend. Water levels are still low. Temps are in the low to mid 70s and with the brief rain showers this last week clarity seems to be down a little bit. The bites I had going just a few weeks ago trolling crank baits and pitching hair and plastics seem to be slow at best this weekend. Saturday we still found a few fish trolling flicker shads in the rocks on channel edges but could not coax anything over 20″s to bite.

Today was spent pitching live bait and the bite was far better. Casting leeches and crawlers on H2O jigs to the wingdams and slowly working them back to the boat took both good numbers and quality fish. The early morning seemed to start out with more of a leech bite. As it move closer to noon the crawlers took over. The little metal bait keepers on both the H20 jigs and Dragging jigs are fantastic for keeping live bait secured on the hook.

Its was good to see a few others out this weekend. How did you guys find the bite? Sure was another great weekend weather wise.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Hey Mike, It was good to see ya out there too.

Our bite Saturday was a little ‘off’ in comparison to the week before as well. Hitting the wing dams we found some fish on cranks and almost nothing on hair. Switched to trolling and had good numbers of fish with numerous low 20” fish but we couldn’t get into any bigger fish.

Anyone else noticing the large numbers of white bass showing their face? I’d bet we caught close to a dozen off the dams on Saturday where you might catch one or two per trip previously.

Pete

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Anyone else noticing the large numbers of white bass showing their face?

Sounds like it’s time to take my Flyrod down to Pool 2!

Thanks for the update guys!

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Mike,

Good to see you again and nice to meet Bushman. On Sunday afternoon I averaged about three walleyes per hour that were over 15″ three-way rigging wingdams with leeches. I also caught a couple long-lining red/orange cranks on the wingdams. My biggest was about 25″ with the rest in the 15-20″ range. I also had about one sub 15″ walleye per hour.

I know there was some talk about a lack of smaller walleyes on P2 last year but I haven’t found that to be true in the couple of trips I’ve made to P2 so far this summer. I’ve seen quite a few 15-16″ and 19-20″ walleyes plus some 13-14″ and even a couple of 10″ inchers.

One thing I found odd today was a lack of sheephead and white bass. I did not catch a single sheephead, white bass, or channel cat and just a couple of small smallies. I enjoy catching those 3-5 lb sheephead… they can about jerk the rod out of your hand they hit and run so hard sometimes.

Boone

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

It still amazes me how few sheep head and white bass we catch while pitching live bait. You would think those fish would be all over live bait. Think we may of caught 2 sheep head and 2 white bass yesterday. So far this year I haven’t been running into many of them no matter how I’m fishing.

Boone I think the size of the fish is a little off this year also. Not sure why. There has only been a couple of 28″ fish caught out of my boat so far this year. I would bet our average size is running around 20″ this year. There are definitely spots where bigger fish hang out. Some times its just a matter of timing when the bigger fish move into a area. If some areas over time only put out smaller fish thew tend to get pushed out of the areas I fish.

Good to see you out there yesterday Boone. Let me know if you are looking for company down there some time.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

The dog and I made it out early Sat, did well on wings with hair and leaches. That said, it totally shut down for me around 700 or so, pulled out at 10 or so, it was getting toasty outside too! Nice morning in all.

buschman
    Pool 2

Boone, it was nice to meet you as well. Mike, Thanks for hoping in. We were due to get back down there and chase some eyes. Lets do it again but next time leave your brother and his kids at home instead of the launch I made it back down there last night from 7-9:15 and the fish were still going good but moved up on the tops and were eating cranks pretty good. I caught 2 eyes on crawlers and about a half dozen on cranks. Lost a pig boatside because somebody forgot the net That was just before the rain started and would have been the big fish of the day. Dark blue grapler was the ticket last night.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Got out last night with the misses a little after 7. Tried pulling cranks for a little while…pulled a flicker shad out of package and it was running crooked. Pulled out another brand new flicker and it ran crooked. Not a big fan of those anymore. Tried pulling 3-ways for a little while till the sun got low and then pitched leeches. Got this 26 near the tip of a dam. Quick picture and back in….those fish are really strong in this warm water. A lot of bait fish already in P2.

j

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Untuned flicker shads are pretty common. The only reason I put up with them is that they are cheap and do catch fish. Tuning them can be a challange but can be done. Number 7 take just the smallest turn of the eyelet. You most likely will not even see it move. 5s? Let just say after a while you wil get the hang of it. Make sure and check them after ever fish and ever few trolling passes if they are making contact with the bottom.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

i hear ya…if i remember right i could almost get two flickers for the price of one SR7. oh well, ill bring my tuning forks along from now on.

im in saginaw until friday….who will be out early on sat? Im planning on hitting the water around 5.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

It was way to nice out to stay home so down to Pool 2 I went. I caught White Bass, Sheephead, Smallmouth…but no Walleyes. I couldn’t figure out why since I had done pretty well the last few times I was down there. Then I realized that I wasn’t in the boat with Mike W The water was right at 80 degrees. Saw Jon Jordan and he reported that he had caught a few nice Walleyes off the tips of a few wingdams.

I did meet qa guy who was fly fishing for Carp…he showed me the pictures in his digital camera, he had three fish that were just huge. Boy did that sound like fun!

Rootski

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Sure would of liked to got out there this afternoon. Looked like great weather. The wife even told me to go. It was much more fun sitting in the office going over number, or lack of them. Maybe friday evening.

The bite seems to have changed Steve. Guess it would be boring if it stayed the same all the time. You going to be back down there this weekend?

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Quote:

You going to be back down there this weekend?

I’m going to try. Tomorrow I’m I’d like to get out on “My favorite East Metro Bass Lake” at first light. We’ll see.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Anyone been out lately? Any current bite info?

buschman
    Pool 2

I was down there Monday and pitching was a not much of an option so we decided to run cranks and find fish that would bite. Had a handful of smaller 18-22″ fish but did end up with a 26.5 and my cousin caught his PB at 28.25″. DT7 in shad pattern was best! Current seems to be dropping off off quite a bit in some spots lately. Hard to tell though in that north wind. I doubt the fish have moved much from last week but might have to be creative to pull them off those goods spots to get them this weekend. Going to be busy out there!!! I will be down on P3 for a couple of days here and will report back! Good luck!

Jim K
    Mpls, Mn

I was out for just a couple hours this morning. I spent way too much time on a wingie that was good to me last time without catching anything. Once I moved to a different dam I got a 25″r in the first couple of minutes on a shortened up firecracker ringworm, but that was it for the day. I had no live bait with me. I did check a total of 5 wing dams.

The cute dnr gal that checked my boat at the landing said that the guy who got off just before me said he caught two 8lb fish. She thought they were walleyes.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Thanks, Gotta get out, hopefully I get time to hit 2

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.