Plastics, jig or drag?

• marendt
    Lake City, MN

I was wondering how all you plastic users fish your presentations? I’m a jig guy and love to continually work the jig. I usually have meat on the jig. When you are using plastics,like your ringworms and super doo’s , are you pumping the jig or do you just leave it motionless just above the bottom? Thanks for any advice.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Go with what works and try different stuff. The ringworms work best for me by holding them as still as possible 2 inches from the bottom.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

It all depends on how well the fish are hitting. I usually fish sassy shads or twistertails on as light of a jig head as I can get by with and still be in control. When vertical jigging I usually only jig the plastic an inch or two off of the bottom and set it back down. Somedays the fish want virtually no motion and on other days you can jig it up and down a foot or more and hammer the fish. When the bite is short and soft I seldom jig it instead I hold it an inch or two off of the bottom and move it very little. In all cases I use a stinger hook.

Eyehunter

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

I’ve found a key to keeping the bite going is to change presentation and color frequently if fishing a pressured area or small area. I like to try snapping the jig/ringworms a foot or more off bottom and letting them drop on a controlled drop first, then less aggressive, then go to the drop to bottom, lift, and hold. You’ll find in heavily fished areas that you will pick up some fish with each presentation on a given day, with exceptions of course.
    Super Do’s, though, are almost always best fished with minimal angler induced motion though. Vary the height of the hold from 2″ to maybe 12″ from bottom, with 18″ occasionally being best. All depends on how tight the fish are to bottom, how much they want to come up for a meal.

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

I will snap more agressively when the water temps are in the 40’s. Once the water temps hit the low 40’s to freezing “less is more”. Just hold on to your rod and pick up the slack line if you are casting. If going vertical a slow lift and hold motionless for 10-30seconds is best just dropping once in a great while to relocate bottom.

Another tip for you if using plastic. Keep the meat away from it. I do much better on just plain plastic. I will tip hair jigs with meat but have had very few days meat on plastics will outfish the plain plastic bait.

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

I too Love to jig fish.

Most of the warm water season I am throwing Bucktails.
    Temps 65 and warmer I will be doing alot of snap jigging.
    With the waters cooling I still use alot of Bucktails. This is the one time of year that I will use a minnow with a bucktail, it helps slow the jig down.

As far as the cold water bite that is upon us with the plastics. I have to agree with Dustin I do not use minnows on the plastics.
    You have to let the fish tell you there preference on a daily basis.
    When I am getting alot of tail pullers than I usually slow down more and switch up with Super Doos no motion. If you have never fished a Doo it is a no motion find bottom and hover. They will ripppp the rod out of your hand.
    The bite of late in general has been slow and hover with all the baits…meaning Ringworms,Paddle tails, K-Grubs. For my boat anyway I have not had very good luck with being aggressive with my baits. However let me say that you need to experiment every time out.
    There will be the days or part of the day that a snapped bait will out produce a still one.
    All I can say for now is that the Plastic bite on Pool 4 is on fire.
    Sunny days use the brighter baits on cloudy days use the darker natural color baits.
    Yesterday with the sun I had good luck with gold heads and Fire&Ice ring worms.
    Have fun and enjoy the fishing.
    My last three trips minnows never found there way into my boat…it is to cold to put your fingers in the water anyway

Good Luck

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

When vertical jigging…don’t be afraid to bulk up to as heavy a jig as needed to keep your line vertical..I have been using up to 5/8 on windy days to keep my line as straight up and down as possable

marendt
    Lake City, MN

Thanks for all the input. That is exactly what I was looking for!

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

ISN’T THIS PLACE GREAT

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.