How many people use fireline and what pound test??

• yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Here’s a tip for you guys who have had trouble with super lines freezing. Spray it with dry fly spray.[silicone]. It also works great for keeping rod guides from feezing up.

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

tfuller4,

To answer your question about what Ringworms to use in deeper water. This time of year I stick with blacks, blues and purples. The jig head color does not play an important role for me.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Hey Kevin, I have not had any problems with the fireline and my rods. This came up last year and I was about to order six new St. Croix rods so I made a post about it asking if anyone had any problems [ I hadn’t had any ] and everyone assured me that I wouldn’t have any problems. Couldn’t help but chuckle when I saw your post asking about this as last night I just ordered six more rods from St. Croix. Seems this comes up everytime I order. And yes I will be using fireline on some of these rods too. By the way if you are considering buying any new rods to use that fireline on, St. Croix sure has alot of great rods and they have added some new ones too. Thanks, Bill

http://www.stcroixrods.com/rods/default.asp

SNAKEYES
    Iowa

I’ve been using 10/4 fireline and I like it, but the last few years I’ve been using Power Pro 10/2 and I’m begining to like better than the fireline.

barc
    SE MN

I have used 20/8 and 14/6 Fireline for long lining cranks the last few years. I switch between chartreuse and smoke just to see if I notice any difference. I don’t see any drastic differences in catch rates between color or test weight (lots of people look at me like I’m nuts when I cleat off the line to the boat and use the motor to pull the lures out of snags cause ya can’t break it with your hands and you can’t believe the tackle you will pull up from the bottom of the creek..). Last year I went to the light weight lines for vertical jigging – both Fireline and Power Pro – and like both of them. It might just be the rod/reel that I have the Power Pro on but it does make a lot of noise/resistance pulling thru the guides…
    I was wondering how many of you folks go to the sports shop and have them wind on the line from bulk versus buying on the spool and winding yourself?? I personally think for $.10/yard (i.e. $10 for a hundred yds) that is the way to go – no leftovers (at just about $.10/yd) on the spool when you are done and they put it on the spool with the correct tension etc… Just curious…
    barc

MikeHuppert
    Western Wisconsin

I’ve been a avid user of Fireline for a long time and really like it. Until I was given a spool of the Power Pro by a rep when it first hit the market a couple years back and I couldn’t believe how much better the line held up from fraying vs Fireline. The first spool of Power Pro I used on the river was 15/4 and it didn’t take me long to go to 10/2, The 15/4 should be rated for 50/4 as it’s almost impossible to break loose. Spectra Fibers are impossible to color dye which is why they are so strong, the line color you see is what’s trapped between the woven fibers, this is why the Super Lines will fade over time as the color rubs out. Give Power Pro a try, I did and just love it!

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.