How many people use fireline and what pound test??

• tfuller4
    Marion, Ia

It seems that 6/2 is the most common but has anyone tried or use the 4/1 fireline. What is your favorite kind(flourescent or smoke)!!!!!!!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I’ve used all strengths of Fireline and I love the stuff. I have developed a preference for Power Pro now but Fireline still ranks very high with me.

I mostly use the 4/1 and the 14/6 though. The 4/1 is stronger than 4lbs on tensile strength tests and is very versatile in it’s applications. I have developed a preference for the flourescent stuff…………..it’s always nice to be able to see your line. I use the 14/6 a lot for cast/retrieve/trolling applications. So far, so good and I’ve been using it for 3 years now.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Stillakid2:

How often do you respool that stuff? I have been considering trying one rod/reel spooled with it this year. What makes you feel better about Power Pro?

Mark

tfuller4
    Marion, Ia

im sure the 4/1 will work fine but ill be using it in canada and think i will have to respool it to like 6/2 or 8/3. oh well i guess that means i just buy new reals or try and use the 4/1 in canada.

tfuller4
    Marion, Ia

is the power pro like fireline and what is the cost compared to fireline. what ounce jigs do you use when fishing the 4/1. im sure you can get vertical with a 1/4 ounce with 4/1.

herb
    6ft under

I’ve had the 10/4 fireline on my reels for about 6 or 7 years now. The only time I’ve respooled is when I convert to power pro. So you could say I’m seconding what stillakid wrote. Cost is about the same but I think power pro has some better qualities. And with my poor eyesight I’m having to switch to the greener colors. I don’t think power pro absorbs water as bad as the fire line also.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

I much prefer the Power Pro. It seems to be limper and have less memory. Also I think it holds a knot better and I don’t have as many problems on the reel.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

geee… guess Im might be on the same path…

using the 1/4 hi vis fireline…

just got my new 1/8 powerpro yesterday along with the minnkota copilot…….

revermann
    Rice, MN

I’ve been useing fireline for 2 years now and I love that you can always feel whats going on with your lure. I use it in the summer and winter and have not had any problems with it.
    Hope to see you all on the water sometime

bmcavoya
    Farmington, MN

I used 4/1 on all of my crappie ice sticks this winter, smoke color. It is awesome line, you just have to be careful because FireLine doesn’t stretch like mono and crappies have paper thin lips. But one thing I did notice of the winter is that when the crappies swallowed that jig a little deeper the hook set was a lot better with fireline compared to mono. I am going to try 10lb test on a few of my walleye rods this spring and summer and compare it to mono on walleyes. I will post a report when this comparison is complete. But so far I would defintely recommend Fireline to anyone, it is awesome line

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Fireline certainly has its own time and place for me. The 2 main presentations I’ll use Fireline for are, vertical jigging deep water, or casting crankbaits.

For all of my other jig fishing applications mono is still the way to go for me. I feel the added line diameter of mono gives my jig that slow fall effect that is necessary when pitching to the shoreline rocks. Also when casting sand flats the extra diameter of the mono will give me a better drift V.S the super lines.

Schmidtty
    Lake Elmo, MN

Has anyone tried the new Spiderwire “Stealth” line yet? Seems to be an improvement over the old stuff and similar to PowerPro at a couple bucks less in price. Also comes in hi-vis.

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Bought a couple of spools a few weeks back to test out on my trolling rods. Haven’t had the chance to give it a go yet. Looks to be some pretty good stuff!

tfuller4
    Marion, Ia

dustin,
    just got my reels spooled up with 4/1 and not impressed with how much they put on. a liitle bit of the spool could have still been filled. im use to filling that sucker up almost. my reel takes 140yd of 4lb and they said they put 70 yards of fireline on it. whats your thoughts

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Sorry so long to reply guys! Revermann, welcome to the board! Nice to see another “local” getting in the mix!

I agree with the limper tendancies of Power Pro but wish the color was a little brighter for line watching. Also, Fireline has a fraying property that just tears at your confidence. Even though the line hasn’t broke, you lose some confidence anticipating it. I’ve only had it break under circumstances of my own making and not the line’s fault at all. But the comfort level starts to dissipate the more fray I see.

I haven’t changed out a spool of line yet but I may turn them over this year and invert the line for some fresher stuff.

Also, using clippers………….Power Pro is tougher to slice through than Fireline and that gives me TONS of confidence. I’m starting my second season on Power Pro so the longevity tracking continues. Granted, I fish more than some, but a lot less than some others. I just can’t wait for summer to get here! I’m going to try and be on the water at least 60 days!

As for the amount of line on your spool, remember that you’re dealing with a thinner diameter than you may be accustomed to and while all the yardage is there, it appears less because it takes up less space.

bigpike

Fireline is tremendous if you are going to Canada to fish toothy critters, I have had tons of lures get chewed up, my leaders have turned into a snarled mess but my fireline withstands it all, I have yet to lose a fish/lure from fraid or busted fireline. The stuff is just plain tuff and it cast a mile. Mono can never give me that comfort!!!

gimpy
    Owatonna, Minnesota

what is the best 6/2 for walleye?

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Hi guys, it’s great to hear all of your opinions, man you can learn tons of stuff on this site. As far as what I use, I LOVE firelne, always 4/1. My favorite color is flame/green, I think that is what they call it, there is only two colors so I guess you get the idea. And of course I use it mainly vertical jigging. One other KEY point that know one has mention yet that I can recall is, you must use a palomar knot when you tie on any jig or lure. TRUST ME ON THIS ONE. . I also use filler on my reels before I put fireline on. Three reasons. 1.) Cost 2.) So the line will not spin. 3.) 50 yards to 75 yards is pletty for vertical jigging. As you all know they come in spools of 150 yards, 300 yards or 1000 yards. I’m not that rich so when I buy fireline it’s usally 150 yard and that will fill two reels for me IF I use filler. BOLA

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I like the 20/8 Fireline for trolling, especially crankbaits. Works great for me. Real good feel if you want to check to see how your crankbait is running, haven’t lost a crankbait on it yet, and don’t seem to lose fish either provided your drag is set light. Thanks, Bill

tfuller4
    Marion, Ia

dustin,
    does color seem to matter for the ringworms when fishing them deep. if so what color are good combinations for the ones you use.

tfuller4
    Marion, Ia

what pound test do you use in canada. where do you fish at in canada. im going to sioux lookout, ontario to fish pickeral arm resort. been fabulous the last few years and continues to be a trophy lake. i was wondering if i would have to use a leader or not when im up there.

kevin
    hancock,wi

Anyone have any problems with super lines eating up eyes on your rods.This happened to me on two rods about three years ago and have not used it since.Maybe cheap rods or what?
    Now i only use g loomis and guide series rods from gander mountain.Thinking of swiching back as long as its not going to chew up my beutiful rods!!!!!
    Kevin Budny
    LET EM RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

tfuller4
    Marion, Ia

fireline wont chew it up but spider wire will. it chewed up one of my good rods when it first came out. spiderwire is more like a wire. fireline wont at all. get some on your rods and make your great poles your using even better.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

I pretty much stick to mono and 8 lb test XL, on my jigging rods. have no trouble feeling any bites and I like a little extra stretch on my hook set. In winter when It is real cold, I’d heard of some who have had Fireline absorb water and freeze on the spool, or start to freeze that they had to hand peel the line off when letting line out. anyone else have the problem. My 8# XL has really never given me any grief or probs. Jack..

current-break
    ROCK ISLAND, ILLINOIS

Stillakid :
    Did you know POWERPRO now has 8LB/1LB dia out now.
    It worked great this winter for jigging the river.
    I also agree Powerpro is the way to go in Micro Fiber Lines
    The only down fall is the noise that they make some times.

CURRENT BREAK

bigpike

I use 30lb test 12lb diameter. I have never had it chew through my guides. I fish lake Nipigon above Thunder Bay, if you look on a map its the huge body of water between Lake Superior and Hudson Bay. I agree with Bill 100%, even though it is no stretch, you have to use your rod and drag for give, that will more than make up for the no strech quality if set up properly.

theleadsled
    Washington, Ia.

I am with you on my thinking Jack. depends on your rod as to which to use. I,ve use mono on my stiffest rod, but love the fireline on my medium flex fast action rods.

fireline
    Rochester

I use 10/4 Fireline for just about all my river fishing . I use it for the zebra muscles .

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Current Break,

Hey! Thanks a lot for the tip! You know, it seems to me I saw it on a shelf once already but for whatever reason, my brain didn’t really register it! Oh well, old family trait and I’ve been doomed from the start! LOL!

I’ll have to run out and pick some up for a try! I sure liked the 10/2 I’ve used! The noise seems to depend some on the guides too………….can be annoying, but only when you’re not fighting fish! Get a tug on and suddenly the noise disappears!!!

Thanks again for the info CB!

eye verson
    Mantorville, MN

I use and love it. When three waying or dragging cranks. Just remember no stretch means you have to compensate with a little less drag or you’ll rip lures away from the fish. I’ve stayed with 10/4 primarily.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.