Pool Two: Not too skinny and not too fat

• fredbart
    St. Paul

Thank you Pete, Mike and other Pool Two anglers for generously sharing current fishing reports! Thursday morning I got out on Pool Two for the first time this season with the idea of trying some back water current areas. I put in a Lyons Park and headed down river. After some trolling with nothing to show I found an area where the current pushed against an island creating a nice back eddy.

Putting the trolling motor down I started working a back eddy casting number 6 Storm Shad to shore with a slow eradicate retrieve. After three casts I got my first fish a nice 25 inch walleye. Over the next hour using the same technique I caught seven walleye in all ranging from 22 to 24 inches.

It felt really nice to have to put the net in the water again and lifting some weight into the boat! My basic pattern was to cast to shore and slowly work the lure back to the boat using a slow and erratic retrieve. When I contacted bottom I would stop and let the lure sit keeping just enough tension on the line to stay in contract with the lure. None of the walleyes I caught were overly aggressive in how they hit the lure. I felt a little weight and would set the hook.

This was the first time I had fished Storm Shads and was really impressed with how well they cast as well as “ran” straight out of the box. I thought they were a very nice price sensitive alternative to more expensive Rapala’s and other crank baits. I know I am going to stock up on them

I did fish some other crank sizes with no success then go back to the #6 Storm Shad and get fish. After the crank bait bite died of I switched to a Mozi; fishing the deep lip of the hole I got one very soft hit, setting the hook I knew I had a nice fish landed a scrappy 26 inch walleye.

Pool two offers a great opportunity to catch nice walleyes and as far as I saw all the fish I got were healthy and putting on weight. Heading back to the landing I stated humming an old Mitch Ryder song: Devil with the Blue Dress: “She’s not too skinny and not too fat, She’s a real humdinger and I like it like that”. I expect that the fishing will only get better over the next weeks.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

thanks for the report! Sounds like you had a lot fun

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Nice!! Those are some real dandy fish to get into. Will have to try some more cranking myself here after this, been sticking to plastics most of spring.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Great report Fred. Hoping i can get back down there on Sunday.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Thanks for the update, Fred.

jakeh
    White Bear Twp

Thanks for the report. Looking forward to getting back down there.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Nice teport Fred!

shockers
    Rochester

Congrats on the fish. Just fyi…I noticed at Fleet Farm yesterday they’ve got a couple varieties of Storm Shad on sale. I picked up a couple to try myself.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.