pitching plastic question

• marendt
    Lake City, MN

Question for you pitching guys. When I pitch ringworms, k-grubs, ect. I have always cast to shore and slowly reeled the plastic in. Do any of you jig the plastic back? I’m just curious how all of you fish your fall plastics. Thanks.

stuart
    Mn.

Most of the time I have my best luck using a jig light enough for the plastic to be slowly swept down stream by the current. When it touches down I lft and let it drift down more.
    Hops and jigging or slowly pulling it forward will all work.Try all ways and let the fish tell you whats up.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

Most of the time I have my best luck using a jig light enough for the plastic to be slowly swept down stream by the current. When it touches down I lft and let it drift down more.
    Hops and jigging or slowly pulling it forward will all work.Try all ways and let the fish tell you whats up.

x2

tbrooks11

yep, i have had my best success casting a ringworm with a 1/8 oz jig and let it sit on the bottom for a few seconds, jig and reel in for a few seconds, then let it sit again. actually a very effective way to catch them from shore.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Pitching usually involves a specific area, weedline, drop off, emergent vegetation. And differs from flipping which it to a specific target.

In a lake, when I pitch to an area, I watch the line drop, I might shake it a bit, move it a few inches. But if no strike, I reel it up and pitch it out.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Most of the time its a steady drift. Maybe a hop here and there. But like mentioned above they dont always want it this way. I bet coming up pretty soon there will be a point when a they will take a retrieved jig well over one that is drifting. This is where Ill park close in on the dams or maybe right on the tips. make my cast parallel to the dam and give that jig a little speed on a steady retrieve back to the boat. Hops or pauses in this retrieve will trigger strikes.

Now hair jigs this time of year I think get much better action if you hop them.

kwp
    Eden Prairie

What I noticed last Fall, especially late in the yr when water temps were real cold (late November) was the slower the presentaion the better.

Seemed like some days you would only get bit if you let it drift with the current and slowly reeled it back.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.