Walleye rod line?

• D helms

Just wondering what to spool on new tuned up precision with a pflueger reel?

SW Eyes

I’m a braid guy myself. A little back behind the braid. Barrel swivel to a leader of some sort (usually fluoro) with a snap.

I use Suffix 832 most often. 6 lb is pretty versatile, being a walleye fisherman that runs into the occasional pike.

The nice thing about braid, especially in the winter when you’re not spooling much out and it’s not getting hammered by direct sunlight a ton, a spool can last multiple years.

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

I fish a lot outside, so braid really isn’t an option. I’m a Suffix Ice Magic in 6lb guy. I usually run a barrel swivel just to remove twist with floro.

404 ERROR
    MN

P-line Floroclear in 6lb. Comes in 600yd spools and it’s very good line at a very good price.

Tharin Benson
    NE Iowa

I use 5lb. Suffix Invisilne on my precision.

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

I have likes and used the following. CPT frost braid in 6-8#. This brai iced up less than any I have used in the past. I also like 4-6# Suffix Ice Magic, PLine Floroclear and PLine CX. Regardless of main line I run a swivel with a florocarbon leader.

zooks

In general, I don’t care for braid. Some also say ice line is just repackaged summer line at a higher price but I prefer these ice lines, seem to resist freeze up a bit more.

GAMMA ESP Ice Line, P-Line Floro Ice, Sufix Ice Magic have all been good to me, 6lb test. I’ll also try Sufix Advanced 6lb this year, will guess it’s gonna perform similar to the GAMMA Polyflex 4lb I use in open water.

Dan Baker

I like 10# 832 Ice Braid. Plus the Pfluger is made braid ready so you don’t need any backing. A nice feature. I tie a swivel and then add 20″ of fluro to that.

TipUpFishOn

Tried braid and like others have said it froze up too much as I fish outside a lot. Another vote for ice line (Ice Magic), for walleye can’t go wrong with 6 – 8lb. I also tie swivel to fluro.

szopinski6

Talk about a rhetorical question!!! Can’t beat a braided line to a SeaGuar leader using a double uni knot!

Peterbob
    Menasha, WI

Talk about a rhetorical question!!! Can’t beat a braided line to a SeaGuar leader using a double uni knot!

Also, my go-to!

B-man

4lb Suffix Elite- I’ve never once broken off on a walleye

No leader for me

No braid since I fish outside some

No barrel swivel to catch on guides

Keep it simple and don’t overthink things.

……Ice line is for suckers )

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I went with the Clam frost 6 lb mono and it was great up on Mille Lacs last weekend. I’ve got the Frost braid on my panfish rods which I haven’t used this year yet but I’ve heard really good reviews.

bfishn

I currently have braid with flouro leader on my precision, but I do get annoyed with the freezing.

Decided to order a commander that I will probably try suffix advanced and use as my outside hole hopping rod. Precision will become my inside and nice weather finesse rod for walleye.

P-line flouroclear on my dead sticks and lesser used rods.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I’ve been using Sufix 832 (8lb) with a Sufix Ice Magic 8lb mono lead for quite a while, works fine for me. while the braid does freeze up faster, if its bitter cold, Im in my flipover anyway

Walleyeguy34

I’ve tried spooling suffix advance 6lb on a size 500 reel and it was way too coily. Even tried spoiling it up in hot water and pretty much all the line jumps off the spool. I think I’ll just stick with suffix ice magic as I’ve never had any problems with that stuff.

Ice Cap

I just bought a Precision this year. Paired it with a Piscifun Ice X reel. Spooled it with Spider Wire #6 braid. Fished with it for 3 days last week and I love the set up. I’m really impressed with the Piscifun reel. Super smooth, excellent drag with carbon fiber washer and at the $30 price point. I knew the Precision was going to be great because I also have a Fusion so I knew what to expect from TUCR. This was my first experience with Piscifun so I didn’t know what to expect but I was very pleased.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Pline floroclear is a good staple line. Cheap, works great, and easily found.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

I put backing on and then tie on a length of braid to a swivel with a fluoro leader. Usually use Sufix 832 but this year I’m trying the Clam Frost Ice braid and it’s performed well so far, although it hasn’t been bitter cold yet so we’ll see. 6-8 lb main line should be plenty. Try to match diameters of backing and braid if possible.

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

I use ice braid within the 8-15 lb. range

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

P-line Floroclear in 6lb. Comes in 600yd spools and it’s very good line at a very good price.

100% all you need unless you are targeting MONSTERS then something a bit heavier might be needed!

Hartley

Don’t get caught up in that “Ice line” gimmick. There isn’t any special formula for Ice specific line. They are selling a 100yd spool of that Ice line for the same price as the spool of line you buy for open water fishing and it’s the same stuff.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Some lines perform better than others in actual ice freezing conditions. So there is such a thing called an ice line. The rest of them are just marketing that people buy into, cuz you bought the same stuff.

If you want an actual ice line, buy an actual ice line. Not the same stuff re-labeled.

B-man

Some lines perform better than others in actual ice freezing conditions. So there is such a thing called an ice line. The rest of them are just marketing that people buy into, cuz you bought the same stuff.

If you want an actual ice line, buy an actual ice line. Not the same stuff re-labeled.

Some “summer” lines are definitely better when it comes to others in the cold (that’s why I like Suffix Elite)

But your reply begs the question:

Do you use ice line on your open water reels in cold weather?

Your line doesn’t know if it’s going through an ice hole or hanging over the side of a boat when it’s 15 degrees out.

I’d assume guys that swear by the stuff would use it for open water too??

Do you?

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

To answer the question…yes, I do end up using my “ice” line for open water

Still remember the time when I was casting 2# line. What an eye opener…lure sure flew far away, further than I had ever expected.

No I don’t swear by the stuff I use. I allow it to prove itself. So it’s not based on opinion, but actual real world results. Sample is what’s great at 20# isn’t the same great results at 4#. Let the results prove itself in real world applications.

Yo Zuri Hybrid 4# at .235 mm with 8.5# manufacture claimed break strength
    Stroft GTM 2X at .22 mm with 11.5# manufacture claimed break strength
    Gamma High Performance 4# at .20 mm with 8.5# manufacture claimed break strength

Let the real world results tell you how it fishes. Out of the three which would one choose over the other and why? Those don’t have to be the only choices.

milemark_714

P-Line CX and YoZuri Hybrid worked good for me.Or Fireline Crystal above freezing temps.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Yo Zuri Hybrid 4# at .235 mm with 8.5# manufacture claimed break strength
    Stroft GTM 2X at .22 mm with 11.5# manufacture claimed break strength
    Gamma High Performance 4# at .20 mm with 8.5# manufacture claimed break strength

Good comparisons to try. For now, I’m still sticking with the 4# Yo Zuri Hybrid as my walleye favorite. That’s why I got a one-pound spool of it a couple years back. Yesterday, I tried it side by side with the newer Sufix Advanced 6# mono that’s so highly touted on here. They were both on full-sized spinning reels (2500 Shimano).

It was my first time trying the Sufix. It’s good line, and I can see why people like it. However the 4# Hybrid was much more limber and felt more appropriate for the situation, despite the 4# Hybrid being listed at 0.235mm and the 6# Advanced only slightly larger at 0.010″/0.254mm. The Advanced just ‘felt’ larger and stiffer, like a bit of overkill for 1/8oz spoons, mid-sized Slab Raps, and such. Feeling the lines side by side left me with much doubt about the manufacturer-listed diameters.

I yanked a 25″ walleye out of the hole with the #6 Advanced after playing it very little, and had little concern the line would break. Not sure if I need that. Much like with bass fishing, I’m not going to throw jigs on 20# fluoro when 15# will get the job done.

I’d like to try the Advanced 4# next to compare with 4# Hybrid. I’ll likely do a 6# vs 6# comparison this winter. Might have to throw that Stroft in the mix as well.

Deuces

Still don’t forget the biggest mark I’ve seen on mille lacs one year on a bobber rod, 4# test, you see that big plop of the bobber, slightly sitting lower in the water, and then start tailing away. Right after sunset, catching eyes all the way up to, big sucker on. Go to set hook and snap.

Was fairly aggressive with hookset, too big of weight on end of rod, to much force going other way. Will never use just 4# test in waters you know will have big fish again.

Deuces

Bass thumb, been using Advanced in some open water this winter, when it’s real cold out and new line it will coil up a lil. I went to the parking lot, casted it out several times and it really straightened out nicely. I have 4#-6# pline on my ice stuff now and know Advanced will perform just as well with possibly less stretch.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.