Walleye boat

• hoytpower
    buffalo county, wi

Looking for info on getting a deep v boat for fishing. Mostly fishing pool 4 trolling/jigging. Would also would like to be able to handle some other areas up north as well as greenbay maybe. Been t looking at tracker targa and pro guides, lund impact xs, going to look at an alumacraft and crestliner this weekend. What features are must haves and things brands i should look for/avoid?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

How about a fiberglass boat? Might be better suited to handle those big waters than tin.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I’d go for about 18 ft and get enough power. A bow mount trolling motor with spot lock would be high on my list. Personally I’d just go with a brand / layout that works for you and your budget.

Bob Erfish

I’ve owned a 1875 pro guide and now an 1875 impact XS so I can speak on those.

For fishing the river give me the tiller any day. For strictly fishing I absolutely loved it. Only reason I went with a boat with a windshield is that it’s more family friendly with young kids. If I were alone,
    I’d own a tiller.

If you do plan on spending time on big water a tiller is still a fishing machine but in my case having the windshield, sport top, and side curtains is pretty cool. In most cases you can put more HP on the wheel than the tiller and getting around quick is good as well.

I spent many years going to lake of the woods in my pro guide and never got chased off the lake by waves that wouldn’t have chased me off in my impact.

Glass boats are truly the best ride out there but I opted for a new fully loaded impact over a used Ranger Angler less equipped for the same price.
    It really comes down to where you will fish the most often and who’s coming with you.

For a few less bucks alumacraft competitors are also great boats, don’t rule those out.

hoytpower
    buffalo county, wi

I plan on fishing it a lot, but will also be crusing,sandbar hopping, and tubing with the family.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I plan on fishing it a lot, but will also be crusing,sandbar hopping, and tubing with the family.

We have an 1850 Reata and I use it for almost exactly what you are asking about. River fishing, some big water, and equal family time. Couldn’t be happier.

Bob Erfish

I did look at a reata at the state fair last year. Super nice boats for sure. Storage and layout favored leisure a little more than fishing but definitely wouldn’t hold a guy back from catching all the fish he wanted. Once my kids get old enough to tube and water ski a reata will be at the top of my list

39degrees

Remember every boat is going to be a comprise in some respects. Best advise is to really determine how much time you are going to spend fishing vs family fun. Then pick the appropriate style. If you have youngsters, generally wheel boats will have higher sides and be safer in my opinion. I have owend both lund and alumacrafts and at this time i think you get a little more value with the alumacraft, but either should be great. Glass vs aluminum is a whole debate itself with good points for both. Remember which ever size/style boat you choose you are going to need to tow it. So your vehicle may dictate your boat size. I had a salesman at the boat show tell me what a great deal he cound give me on a 21 foot glass boat with a 300 hp. I told him that price better include a truck because i have a 6 cylinder SUV.

B-man

Friends don’t let friends buy Trackers….

What’s your budget?

New? Used?

What size are you looking at?

I agree with some recommendations already listed.

An 18′ glass boat. Max horsepower. Bluetooth 2nd generation I-Pilot.

Look at the Reata, 186 Tyee, WX1850, 186 Allure, 186 Yarcraft, 1850 Fisherman, etc. Some of the newer models have different names/numbers

They’re all high demand boats and typically sell fast, but they’re high demand for a reason. They do it all, and they don’t cost $100,000

snelson223
    Austin MN

I would go and look at a bunch of different boats and when you find something you like make sure you can get it out for a test ride before you buy. The boat center is great for test drives. They have a few different brands of boats you to look at.

martyb

Mx1825 with a F150

Bob Erfish

Friends don’t let friends buy Trackers….

What’s your budget?

New? Used?

What size are you looking at?

I agree with some recommendations already listed.

An 18′ glass boat. Max horsepower. 2nd generation I-Pilot.

Look at the Reata, 186 Tyee, WX1850, 186 Allure, 186 Yarcraft, 1850 Fisherman, etc. Some of the newer models have different names/numbers

They’re all high demand boats and typically sell fast, but they’re high demand for a reason. They do it all, and they don’t cost $100,000

When I was looking a couple of the better deals I could find we’re on triton allures. Probably a fine boat, but after owning the pro guide I always imagined myself going to the impact

Bob Erfish

X2 on the tracker comment. Just don’t do it.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Get the 3rd generation i-pilot. I think 3rd generation came out in late 2017 or early 2018. 2nd generation sucked.

B-man

Get the 3rd generation i-pilot. I think 3rd generation came out in late 2017 or early 2018. 2nd generation sucked.

Consider me confused….

I could be wrong, but I believe there are only 2 generations?

Without heading sensor and with heading sensor? (Bluetooth)

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If you truly want to make the best informed decision head down the the launch with your lawn chair. When guys are loading up go talk to them and be up front. Let them know you are boat shopping and you have questions. Most guys unless in a hurry love talking about boats, especially their boat.

Once you narrow the field then like mentioned get in them and get rides. Do not, I repeat do not get talked into anything you don’t really want or need. No matter how much you beg, nobody here will be making your payments except you. jester

Now the three things guys seem to overlook when buying.

1) Be sure it fits in the garage / shed for storing.
    2) You can handle loading, unloading, storing it by yourself. (all your help disappears once you get home)
    3) Happy wife, happy life.

Good luck and post some photos when you pull the trigger.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mxskeeter wrote:</div>

Consider me confused….

I could be wrong, but I believe there are only 2 generations?

Without heading sensor and with heading sensor? (Bluetooth)

MXSKEETER is correct. I have the Gen 2 and it sucks. Purchased in 2013. Supposedly the Gen 1’s worked better than the 2.

hoytpower
    buffalo county, wi

So im planning on spending around the 45000 mark….but who knows. Whats up with the tracker boats, see on here and some other sites a lot of mixed reviews. Is this just the ford/chevy/dodge thing or something im missing?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

So im planning on spending around the 45000 mark….but who knows. Whats up with the tracker boats, see on here and some other sites a lot of mixed reviews. Is this just the ford/chevy/dodge thing or something im missing?

Yeah, it’s just a Ford/Chevy debate. The Trackers have been known to be under powered and lower quality but I believe the quality has gotten better.

With that budget you will get into a new tin boat but it’ll be a little light for a new glass boat. The new Reata’s with decent rigging are in the low to mid-50’s. The 1880 Angler (same hull as Reata but more of a fishing layout) might be a little less than that.

If you PM me separately I’ll give you more specs on my boat (2019 Reata). Make a trip to The Boat Center in Chippewa Falls. They carry Ranger/Skeeter/Warrior so you’ll be able to see a bunch of glass boats.

My very strong opinion is that if you are looking for a family boat glass is the way to go. I just went through this same thing you are about a year ago. I came from a tin boat and my wife and daughter hated riding in it. The Reata is so much more comfortable for them it’s not even a comparison to the Lund. Also, I just had it at LOTW in some pretty rough conditions and it handled it well. It’s a very good fishing platform.

hoytpower
    buffalo county, wi

were planning on heading to the eau claire area this weeked and rochester on friday to look at a few different boats. i will add that to our list. thanks

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Whats up with the tracker boats, see on here and some other sites a lot of mixed reviews.

Tracker is the only boat manufacturer that still uses wood on their floors/planks. WOOD, can you believe that?! Wood eventually rots. In this day and age there is absolutely no reason to be using an inferior material anymore. Use aluminum for crying out loud.

Lots of people have trackers. They are the best selling aluminum fishing boat in the country. I don’t see a lot of them around here, but they clearly have done a fine job at selling their product.

B-man

They’re a low quality boat and they don’t stand behind them.

A buddy of mine literally split the keel open on his 2016(?) V17 a few years ago from hitting a wave.

Tracker was of no help and said he must have hit “something.” He repeatedly told them yes, I did….it was a wave.

They told him to pound sand and take it up with his insurance.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I own a 2008 Targa 17.5 with a Optimax 115hp, it is a nice deep v boat and has been good to me. I bought it used because the price was to good to pass up and the first owner barely used it and garaged stored it looked like. I wish it had the 135hp it is rated for but it does 35-40 depending on weight in the boat. The quality it probably not that of a lund, but at 10K less you have money left for the other things. Only thing I can say is my plastic dash is starting to crack as it is stored outside, but my buddies nitro is doing the same thing so? Bottom line is look at what you want but don’t get sold a brand, no one knows who lund is down south.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Aren’t nitro and tracker the same company? With your budget, you have lots of options, doesn’t the boat center carry starcraft delta series? Lots of options.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I would go and look at a bunch of different boats and when you find something you like make sure you can get it out for a test ride before you buy. The boat center is great for test drives. They have a few different brands of boats you to look at.

This right here ^^^^^^

And if you are lucky enough, go hit up a boat show to do this all at once. Sit in them. Have your wife sit in them. Put all your kids in it. Compare features with other boats. If you find the perfect boat, just buy even if it’s slightly out of price range. A boat should last a lifetime.

Regarding Tracker boats, if everything you want is found on the Tracker, it’s has your best layout, by all means, BUY IT! Tracker doesn’t have the love up here in the upper Mid West but it does plenty well down south! Also comes with a pretty good warranty I hear.

Beast

Aren’t nitro and tracker the same company? With your budget, you have lots of options, doesn’t the boat center carry starcraft delta series? Lots of options.

Ranger, Triton,Nitro, and Bass Tracker are all owned by Johnny Morris,who is the owner of Bass Pro.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

For the record if I was shopping with the budget you mentioned I would really look close at fiberglass for the ride. Was not trying to pump up Tracker by any means, just don’t think that there as bad as some people say. Bman I have heard of a couple of those stories about the hull. So far so good on mine, not sure how hard you need to hit a wave but I have had mine on LOW a several times.

CBMN
    North Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>hoytpower wrote:</div>
    Whats up with the tracker boats, see on here and some other sites a lot of mixed reviews.

Tracker is the only boat manufacturer that still uses wood on their floors/planks. WOOD, can you believe that?! Wood eventually rots. In this day and age there is absolutely no reason to be using an inferior material anymore. Use aluminum for crying out loud.

Lots of people have trackers. They are the best selling aluminum fishing boat in the country. I don’t see a lot of them around here, but they clearly have done a fine job at selling their product.

By no means am I sticking up for Tracker but they are not the only ones using wood floors today. There are several midwest manufactures still using wood floors.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I would probably be looking at a Lund Impact or Crossover (or the Cliner or Alumacraft equivalents) if I were you. I could be wrong, but if you are beaching a boat frequently you may want to stay away from a glass boat. At least that’s my thinking as I’m looking for something similar and plan on camping with whatever I get on Rainy/Vermillion/St Croix. Also, if pulling a lot of tubers/skiers is in your future I would opt for a windshield and steering wheel, I’m sure you can do it with a tiller but would eventually be a pain imo.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I plan on fishing it a lot, but will also be cruising,sandbar hopping, and tubing with the family.

Right here is where you sign up for a full windshield boat and don’t skimp on power.

Depending on your family tubing may likely lead to other sports like wakeboarding or water skiing. My little sister never got out of tubing but my brother and I progressed into slalom skiing(seems a dying sport). Wheel boat is superior for this. Family will also much prefer a windshield.

BigWerm makes a good point about beaching in the aluminum vs glass debate. Good buddy has a Reata(awesome do it all option) and put a keel guard to help mitigate when beaching.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.