USCG now requiring use of engine cut-off tethers

• munchy
    NULL

Just a heads up!

Attachments:
    1. 159450686_10165071213660357_8742152802672282685_n.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Thanks for posting Munchy. I always hook mine up to my PFD while operating the main outboard but now it’s federal law.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Interesting how that’s worded. “Recreational vessels less than 26 feet in length”. What about the guy in a 12 foot Alumacraft with an old 5 horse motor that doesn’t have a kill switch?

SR

munchy
    NULL

Interesting how that’s worded. “Recreational vessels less than 26 feet in length”. What about the guy in a 12 foot Alumacraft with an old 5 horse motor that doesn’t have a kill switch?

SR

They would be grandfathered in. Everything new must be equipped, and if equipped must be worn.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Interesting. Does this apply to all waterways or only federal/USCG-patrolled waterways?

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I was wondering the same thing. My 14 foot jon boat w/15 Merc does not have a kill switch.
    I do always wear my tether on other boat.

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

I believe that it is directed to boats manufactured after January 1, 2020 and involve waters that the US Coast Guard patrols.

munchy
    NULL

I believe that it is directed to boats manufactured after January 1, 2020 and involve waters that the US Coast Guard patrols.

It is directed to all operators of boats less than 26ft and equipped with a safety cut-off.

http://www.safeboatingcouncil.org/u-s-coast-guard-announces-new-law-requiring-use-of-engine-cut-off-switches/?fbclid=IwAR2Fwbg2Ua9Tm_7B1DjJtCJz0FZoxbDO6CZD3kdBG9bEgFPpHnoSGqJ3HdM

http://www.uscgboating.org/recreational-boaters/Engine-Cut-Off-Switch-FAQ.php

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Only on USGS patrolled waters. Sheriff or DNR can not in force correct?

blackbay
    mn

I’m surprised this is the first anyone has heard of this. I assume it apply’s to the great lakes, St. Croix and Mississippi Rivers, and maybe border waters. Similar to places where a Captains license is needed to guide people. No big deal really. I haven’t seen a boat or outboard without a tether for a long time. I’m guessing back to the 70’s or 80’s. This law doesn’t apply to that anyway, just 2020 and newer boats.

Eric G
    Eagle River,WI

Q9. My boat doesn’t have an Engine Cut-Off Switch, do I need to install one?
    A9. No, unless the boat was built on or after 1 JAN 2020. The installation requirement applies to manufacturers, distributors and dealers of “covered recreational vessels” after 1 JAN 2020. For those boats, an Engine Cut-Off Switch must be installed and the owner is required to maintain it.

this is right from the coast guard site

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

this is right from the coast guard site

Scroll down to Q23. It says if an engine cutoff switch is present, you must use it (regardless of the date of manufacture). The way I interpret that is that if you have an older boat without a switch, you’re fine, but if it has one, you must use it.

Q23. I bought my 22-foot boat many years ago and it did not have an engine cut-off device installed by the manufacturer, so last year I added a new wireless engine cut-off devices. Am I required to use it?

A23. Yes. If an engine cut-off switch is present, it must be used.

robby
    Quad Cities

Not a terrible idea by any means. I have seen boats in the “circle of death”, pretty scary.

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

Two or Three years ago I was checked by the Illinois DNR while fishing the Miss S.of Dubuque. She checked fish, licenses, and everything else you could think of. I was running my 9.9 kicker at the time. She gave me a warning ticket for not using the kill lanyard for my kicker and not having the negative terminal covered on my start battery. Positive was covered. Ever try to get bait, land fish, change tackle, or anything else in the boat while connected to the kill switch of your kicker? Danger to me is having the current or wind blowing me into rocks a buoy or other threat when I inadvertently pull the kill switch. Apparently been the law in Illinois for a while.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Not a terrible idea by any means

Completely agree. If you have one you should already be using it.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Not a terrible idea by any means. I have seen boats in the “circle of death”, pretty scary.

I agree for the most part but still should be your choice.not mandated by big brother. Now personally they should be cracking down on 26’ boat plus! They can operate those things in a way more dangerous manner then any dang run about with a tiller. Think about the 40’er plus with twin diesels and zero care in the world. Now I’m primarily on the river so I see it every weekend in the summer.
    What gets me is the water patrol to the coast guard is they single out the the smaller craft. How many large boats do you see floating through the no wake zone “getting checked”. Zero that is what p’s me off!! Sorry for the rant but its a sore subject with me!!

munchy
    NULL

Two or Three years ago I was checked by the Illinois DNR while fishing the Miss S.of Dubuque. She checked fish, licenses, and everything else you could think of. I was running my 9.9 kicker at the time. She gave me a warning ticket for not using the kill lanyard for my kicker and not having the negative terminal covered on my start battery. Positive was covered. Ever try to get bait, land fish, change tackle, or anything else in the boat while connected to the kill switch of your kicker? Danger to me is having the current or wind blowing me into rocks a buoy or other threat when I inadvertently pull the kill switch. Apparently been the law in Illinois for a while.

Not one bit surprised with Illinois. Doesn’t seem that common sense laws exist there.

At least the Coast Guard law says “while on plane”.

Joel W Taylor

You don’t have to wear the tether unless you are under way. If you are under way, you should be driving not getting bait or changing lures.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Does anyone have the link that BK posted a while back about the remote cut-off?
    I’m thinking i’ll give that a try.

munchy
    NULL

Does anyone have the link that BK posted a while back about the remote cut-off?
    I’m thinking i’ll give that a try.

They are called Auto Tether

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

You don’t have to wear the tether unless you are under way. If you are under way, you should be driving not getting bait or changing lures.

What is technically defined as being “under way?” As soon as you are in gear or if you are on plane? Obviously the risk is very low if you are in gear but driving in a minimum or no wake zone, while the risk is significantly higher at a higher speed on plane. I attach my tether to my PFD while I’m driving so it’s not really an issue here but I am curious about it.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Thanks Munchy

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joel W Taylor wrote:</div>

What is technically defined as being “under way?” As soon as you are in gear or if you are on plane? Obviously the risk is very low if you are in gear but driving in a minimum or no wake zone, while the risk is significantly higher at a higher speed on plane. I attach my tether to my PFD while I’m driving so it’s not really an issue here but I am curious about it.

From the Coast Guard FAQ I posted

Q12. Do I need to keep the Engine Cut-Off Switch Link attached at all times?
    A12. No. The Engine Cut-Off Switch Link doesn’t need to be attached when the vessel is idling, performing docking maneuvers or just going slow. The Engine Cut-Off Swith Link must be attached whenever the boat is operating on plane or greater than displacement speed

Q13. What does “on plane” mean?
    A13. For a boat, “on plane” means the boat has reached a speed that moves the boat from a “displacement” mode to a “planing” mode. As more power (and speed) is applied, lift increases, and the boat, in effect, rides over its bow wave, reducing wetted area of the hull and thus reducing drag. At this point, the boat is said to be “on a plane” or simply “planing.” Sailing vessels are generally not capable of getting “on plane” because of their displacement hull, whereas a ski boat, bass boat or runabout can usually achieve planing with little effort.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

What is technically defined as being “under way?”

Here:

Q12. Do I need to keep the Engine Cut-Off Switch Link attached at all times?

A12. No. The Engine Cut-Off Switch Link doesn’t need to be attached when the vessel is idling, performing docking maneuvers or just going slow. The Engine Cut-Off Swith Link must be attached whenever the boat is operating on plane or greater than displacement speed

Q13. What does “on plane” mean?

A13. For a boat, “on plane” means the boat has reached a speed that moves the boat from a “displacement” mode to a “planing” mode. As more power (and speed) is applied, lift increases, and the boat, in effect, rides over its bow wave, reducing wetted area of the hull and thus reducing drag. At this point, the boat is said to be “on a plane” or simply “planing.” Sailing vessels are generally not capable of getting “on plane” because of their displacement hull, whereas a ski boat, bass boat or runabout can usually achieve planing with little effort.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Instead of drafting a novel couldn’t it just state something simple – for example

When a motorized watercraft is moving + 5mph a cut off switch is required.?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.