USCG now requiring use of engine cut-off tethers

• mojogunter

I believe the post you’re referring to he was trolling with his kicker and got a warning. In that case he could be changing lures or getting bait.

You don’t have to wear the tether unless you are under way. If you are under way, you should be driving not getting bait or changing lures.

MikeV

Two or Three years ago I was checked by the Illinois DNR while fishing the Miss S.of Dubuque. She checked fish, licenses, and everything else you could think of. I was running my 9.9 kicker at the time. She gave me a warning ticket for not using the kill lanyard for my kicker and not having the negative terminal covered on my start battery. Positive was covered. Ever try to get bait, land fish, change tackle, or anything else in the boat while connected to the kill switch of your kicker? Danger to me is having the current or wind blowing me into rocks a buoy or other threat when I inadvertently pull the kill switch. Apparently been the law in Illinois for a while.

I’m curious about the lanyard cutoff when operating at trolling speeds. From what I can find, it seems the Illinois DNR was correct in their interpretation of the Reg. To me, it doesn’t make sense. I like the coast guard definition of being “on plane”. I often troll with my electric at speeds greater than what I troll with my kicker. Where is the safety shutoff on the electric??

The DNR has been out on the Illinois River checking boats recently. There is a great sauger bite going on and tons of people out. I’m going to ask the question if I have the opportunity next weekend.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Thanks munchy and ralph waytogo

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Looks like just federal waters!

Coast Guard to require use of kill switch lanyards

https://explorersguidellc.com/services/federal-navigable-water

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Has anyone seen anything from the MN DNR or sheriff’s water patrols regarding this? From another forum I frequent, people are snapping up wireless engine cutoffs like hotcakes, but it’s a nationwide forum.

B-man

Has anyone seen anything from the MN DNR or sheriff’s water patrols regarding this? From another forum I frequent, people are snapping up wireless engine cutoffs like hotcakes, but it’s a nationwide forum.

I haven’t yet, but curious if they are able to enforce the federal law on USCG navigable waters.

There’s a lot more of them than most people think…..it’s not just the Mississippi, Superior and LOTW.

Hundreds of lakes and rivers in MN are considered USCG navigable waters.

The link leads to all waters in the 9th District. Scroll down for the MN list and MN supplement list. If they state “nav”, then they apply, as do all of the lakes in the supplement.

https://www.atlanticarea.uscg.mil/Our-Organization/District-9/Ninth-District-Staff/Legal-Office/Navigable-Waterways-Determinations/

Duke M

You don’t have to wear the tether unless you are under way. If you are under way, you should be driving not getting bait or changing lures.

Oh really? Ever go hand lining?

B-man

To clear up confusion (maybe), the new law applies only when moving at planing/displacement speed.

It does not say “underway” (which is anytime you’re not anchored or moored, and not “making way”.)

Drifting is considered “underway”, even without a motor running. If your boat is moving and steering doesn’t change your course, you’re underway.

It also does not say “making way” (which basically means any speed that you’re able to steer to change course: ie 1-100+ mph)

“Planing/Displacement Speed” is a completely separate definition and description but does fall under “making way”. But “making way” doesn’t imply just planing alone.

Trolling is not “under way”, but “making way” and not “on plane or displacement speed”

Clear as mud??

Long story short, if your boat is going faster than 10mph, expect to be expected to wear your tether. We/You/I should be anyway.

I’m voluntarily getting better at it myself, but do forget sometimes.

catnip
    south metro

I am 100% certain that the kill cord on my old azz pontoon is just to make sure I don’t lose the key. I guess I will replace the red cord with a zip tie.🤫

catnip
    south metro

I am 100% certain that the kill cord on my old azz pontoon is just to make sure I don’t lose the key. I guess I will replace the red cord with a zip tie.🤫

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Does anyone have the link that BK posted a while back about the remote cut-off?
    I’m thinking i’ll give that a try.

The Fell MOB+ is the model I’ve been hearing about. I like the look way better than the “Auto Tether,” which is ugly and obnoxious looking. doah

I’m going to see how things play out, but I might go this route.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I’m going to get one. It’s been the last 5 or 6 years now that I require all persons in my boat to wear a life vest of their choosing when we are going to get under way. Trolling or anchored no. They may take it off if they choose. SO it only makes common sense to add it!

This was a compairison from a year ago about these.
    MOB

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ralph Wiggum wrote:</div>

I haven’t yet, but curious if they are able to enforce the federal law on USCG navigable waters.

There’s a lot more of them than most people think…..it’s not just the Mississippi, Superior and LOTW.

Hundreds of lakes and rivers in MN are considered USCG navigable waters.

The link leads to all waters in the 9th District. Scroll down for the MN list and MN supplement list. If they state “nav”, then they apply, as do all of the lakes in the supplement.

https://www.atlanticarea.uscg.mil/Our-Organization/District-9/Ninth-District-Staff/Legal-Office/Navigable-Waterways-Determinations/

Thanks for that link B! I knew there were more than just the few “main” CG waters talked about here. Just couldn’t figure out what to search for.

3Rivers

This seems like one of those laws that is pretty much impossible to enforce, but will fall more into the liability category if something happens.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.