Chilly Thanksgiving Roosters

• Fife
    Ramsey, MN

This past weekend, a friend and I spent a couple days Pheasant hunting in SW Minnesota. There wasn’t any snow on the ground, but it was cold and windy both days. We scouted a few spots before we decided to start the day on a large WMA that has a mix of cedar trees, cattails, switchgrass, and a corn food plot. We worked the cattails first and immediately found the birds. The 6th flush of the day was a rooster that my friend dropped on his first shot. Not bad for a guy who hasn’t shot a shotgun in a couple years. A hundred yards later it was my turn and I dropped a bird in some thick cover. We searched the bird for a long time, but we couldn’t find it and the dogs were getting overheated. We pulled back out and watered the dogs and took a quick break. For the rest of the day, we made short loops hitting the thick cover and then stopping to let the dogs get water. We picked up one more bird and then went to scout for the next day. Saturday was a little warmer, but still windy.

The first stop was a 40 acre WIA that looked really good. We never saw a bird, but we did push out a half dozen deer towards some muzzleloader hunters nearby. The second spot was the same area we hunted the day before. I suggested we just leash the dogs and walk to the back corner and hunt from there. Here we are making a ton of noise at the truck, have dogs on leashes, guns on our shoulders, and a rooster flushes 20 feet from the truck. We both scrambled and shot at the same time dropping the bird right on the trail. I wish it was always that easy. We lost a bird and missed a couple before leaving to find a new area. We headed North towards Montevideo and found a spot that looked very similar to the area we had hunted previously. This area had a nice parking lot right next to the best cover. I can only imagine how many people park there and watch every bird flush before they even get their guns loaded. We parked a few hundred yards down the road and walked up to the spot. I took 20 steps off the road, Jazzi got birdie, and a rooster flushed behind me. I swung around and dropped him. He was a beautiful year and a half old bird with long tail feathers. The next bird wasn’t so easy. The dogs were spent but when Jazzi took off in to the cattails I knew there had to be a reason. Sure enough a rooster flushes and takes off towards my friend preventing me from getting a clear shot. The bird veered left and I was able to get a couple shots off. The second shot dropped the bird, but not very often. Jazzi and I run to the area and I can hear her wrestling with it. All of a sudden the bird flushes again. I’m stunned but manage to get a couple long shots. We watched it fly away, but when it landed hard and I knew it wouldn’t be able to run. We walked to the area and let the dogs circle downwind. Again Jazzi found it and the bird flushed leaving her with a mouth full of feathers. This time I didn’t miss and dropped the bird. We ended the day with 3 birds in hand and one that we were unable to recover. Overall, it was a very fun trip. The bird numbers are much lower than they were 6 years ago when I used to hunt these same areas. I used to be able to shoot birds without a dog and with my young pup and now I couldn’t imagine trying to hunt without a good dog. I’m planning to get out again next week and try a piece of private land that I have been saving for late season.

Please forgive the picture as my friend could be the worst photographer of all time. This was the best one.

umichjesse
    Plymouth

Good job, late season birds well earned.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Thanksgiving Day was something else! I was in the Brooten area. It was pleasantly mild with sun when I hit the field, but before long, the temps tumbled, the clouds rolled in, and a 30 mph wind kicked up. Brr!

I kicked up a couple birds, but they flushed pretty far away and with the angle of the sun, I couldn’t positively ID them as roosters. They would have been tough shots, anyhow.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Next weekend I am heading out there with a couple friends. We have one time access to unlimited private land near Appleton. Should be sweet but only two dogs and both pretty young. From what I hear land has not been seriously hunted for birds.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Should be sweet but only two dogs and both pretty young.

I can point…and retrieve.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Should be sweet but only two dogs and both pretty young.

I can point…and retrieve.

People pay good money for a dog that can do both. Maybe you could charge someone for your services.

clicker

Congrats on the success! Glad you found some birds. No one likes loosing birds, I let my dog search for about 30 minutes before I will pull him off. If it is there they will find it, if its running its long gone.

Not trying to be a jerk here, but you should always carry water with you out in the field, you never know when you or the dog might need it. I specifically bought a new vest this year that allows me to carry two water bottles at a time. I can take a break and water the dogs and myself at any time out in the field.

just my .02 cents I guess. I hate loosing birds but it does happen

Call me crazy but I always carry water in my vest, extra shells, a small 6 foot rope that I can use to release conibear traps or use to make splints or a tourniquet, and a lighter for fire. Some minimal things that can save you or your dogs life. I also keep some paper and other essentials in the stock of my shotgun.

Again congrats on your birds!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

People pay good money for a dog that can do both. Maybe you could charge someone for your services.

My downfall is that I don’t have a very soft mouth.

deertracker

Quote:

Quote:

My downfall is that I don’t have a very soft mouth.

So many comebacks for that…..
    DT

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Clicker, that is a good point about the water. I carry a Pheasant Forever water bottle/bowl contraption that holds about 30 oz. It works great, but with a couple dogs it goes fast. When the dogs are working hard in thick cover its nice to have a pond or stream they can lay in and cool off, but the SW Minnesota area is very dry. I wish we would get some snow before next weekend.

clicker

What kind of hounds you running? This cold weather is great for my lab. Most the time he doesn’t even wanna drink water with this colder weather. I heard its pretty dry down there. I haven’t been down that way yet this year. Hopefully get a late winter hunt in down there.

I started carrying water with me on every hunt. It has come in handy several times to wash seeds out of dogs eyes, to watering them, and this year putting out a fire on the truck!

Could smell burning when we stopped the truck. Looked under it and nothing was flaring up. The truck we take sits low to the ground so it is not uncommon to get the burning smell from grasses or corn stalks touching the exhaust.

Started hunting a field and happened to look back at the truck with smoke blaring out of it. Took of running with my water bottles and sure enough there was a corn stalk stuck in the cat that I didn’t see. Luckily it was put out! Could have been a bad end to our trip!

re-tired
    wi

Nice job on the birds Dan and a good read as well

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Quote:

Nice job on the birds Dan and a good read as well

You better take the Otter out of the truck and take the dog out hunting again. It looked like you did real well the last time out.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.