S.E. Iowa opener

• SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

We saw good numbers of birds today with quite a bit of the corn crop still in the fields. We had several young roosters to go along with some good ones. This is my shorthair “Pepper”. There is a lab in the box who was camera shy and more less wore out. Glad it was cool here today,sounds like a nightmare out in S.D.

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

Oh yeah, A nice shed a cow skull and one bunny. I hate it when they shoot bunnies around my bird dog!

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

Oh yeah, A nice shed a cow skull and one bunny. I hate it when they shoot bunnies around my bird dog!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Nice lookin dog spinner, looks like a nice day in the field plus the advantage of a decent rattling shed too.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Nice lookin dog spinner, looks like a nice day in the field plus the advantage of a decent rattling shed too.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Hey Dave,
    How old is Pepper? My Short Hair (Abby) is seven. The reason I ask is I am tring to decide when to get anther dog, I would like another one before she gets to old to hunt. I think the young dogs can learn alot from the old dogs. This is my first short hair so I am wondering at about what age are they at there prime?

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Hey Dave,
    How old is Pepper? My Short Hair (Abby) is seven. The reason I ask is I am tring to decide when to get anther dog, I would like another one before she gets to old to hunt. I think the young dogs can learn alot from the old dogs. This is my first short hair so I am wondering at about what age are they at there prime?

crbasser
    IA

For my report I would have to include S.E. and S.W. Iowa, because we were about right in the middle, maybe a little to the eastern side. But, the key here is south, south of 80 that is. Saturday myself and a buddy had our limit by 11:00, but should of been a lot quicker if someone could have hit the broad side of a barn. There were people everywhere down in that area and it sounded like a war was going on. Sunday was a different story, we stayed up around the C.R. area and got 3 for 3 guys, and that was an all day hunt. There were a lot more crops still in the fields around this area, but we did see several hens, so next year should be looking up. Monday a myself and another buddy of mine got our limit by 2:30. We got all of our birds out of public areas south of 30, around mid-state. There are definetly a lot more birds around this year, and from all the hens we are seeing, next year should be even better if the weather co-operates with the hatch. All in all we had a blast -em. I can’t wait until saturday to do it all again, and then a week later do it in S.D. My pup should be a seasoned pro after all of this, and ready for the last month here in state.

crbasser
    IA

For my report I would have to include S.E. and S.W. Iowa, because we were about right in the middle, maybe a little to the eastern side. But, the key here is south, south of 80 that is. Saturday myself and a buddy had our limit by 11:00, but should of been a lot quicker if someone could have hit the broad side of a barn. There were people everywhere down in that area and it sounded like a war was going on. Sunday was a different story, we stayed up around the C.R. area and got 3 for 3 guys, and that was an all day hunt. There were a lot more crops still in the fields around this area, but we did see several hens, so next year should be looking up. Monday a myself and another buddy of mine got our limit by 2:30. We got all of our birds out of public areas south of 30, around mid-state. There are definetly a lot more birds around this year, and from all the hens we are seeing, next year should be even better if the weather co-operates with the hatch. All in all we had a blast -em. I can’t wait until saturday to do it all again, and then a week later do it in S.D. My pup should be a seasoned pro after all of this, and ready for the last month here in state.

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

Hey Steve, I am thinking the same thing. My buddy’s shorthair kinda taught Pepper the ropes and know he has retired “Meg” and Pepper is the main and sometimes only dog. I have been looking for another dog that I dont have to spend an arm and a leg for. Pepper is 6 or 7 but you could not tell it by the way she hunts, she hunted all day and would not get out of her box when we got home.We had to take here box off the truck and set it on the ground before she would get out. She wants to go every day now.Huntin Crazy she is.

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

Hey Steve, I am thinking the same thing. My buddy’s shorthair kinda taught Pepper the ropes and know he has retired “Meg” and Pepper is the main and sometimes only dog. I have been looking for another dog that I dont have to spend an arm and a leg for. Pepper is 6 or 7 but you could not tell it by the way she hunts, she hunted all day and would not get out of her box when we got home.We had to take here box off the truck and set it on the ground before she would get out. She wants to go every day now.Huntin Crazy she is.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.