bird sauces

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Does anybody out there have a good recipie for birds, orange sauce, plumb sauce etc? Lets bring out some of those recipies from the older cooks,,,,,,,PLEASE!!!!

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

My wife and I make a sauce that is wonderful on pheasant. It will also work on chicken, but why bother.
    You need:
    1/4 cup flour
    2 sticks of butter
    1 pint of heavy cream
    2-4 pheasant breasts
    1/4 cup cooking sherry
    1/4 cup brandy (more if you’re drinking while cooking)
    1 package of sliced fresh (not canned) mushrooms
    2 cups of wild rice
    Start by browning breasts in one stick of melted butter.
    Once cooked,place in 200 degree oven to keep warm.
    In same pan, don’t drain, sautee mushrooms until they start to soften up, don’t burn, or cook too long.
    In same pan, don’t drain, melt other stick of butter. Once melted, begin slowly adding flour, whisking constantly. You’re making what is called a roux. Once the flour and butter are combined, start slowly adding heavy cream. Remember to stir constantly again. Make sure there are no lumps.
    Add sherry and brandy and reduce. This also burns off the alcohol, so you can still use this recipe if you don’t drink or are serving it to kids. Salt and pepper to taste. Put wild rice on plate add pheasant, cover with mushrooms, and then pour sauce over top. Eat right away while it’s still hot. This is my favorite way to prepare pheasant. A bottle of wine, or a couple of good hearty beers, and woo hoo!!!
    Steve

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

My wife and I make a sauce that is wonderful on pheasant. It will also work on chicken, but why bother.
    You need:
    1/4 cup flour
    2 sticks of butter
    1 pint of heavy cream
    2-4 pheasant breasts
    1/4 cup cooking sherry
    1/4 cup brandy (more if you’re drinking while cooking)
    1 package of sliced fresh (not canned) mushrooms
    2 cups of wild rice
    Start by browning breasts in one stick of melted butter.
    Once cooked,place in 200 degree oven to keep warm.
    In same pan, don’t drain, sautee mushrooms until they start to soften up, don’t burn, or cook too long.
    In same pan, don’t drain, melt other stick of butter. Once melted, begin slowly adding flour, whisking constantly. You’re making what is called a roux. Once the flour and butter are combined, start slowly adding heavy cream. Remember to stir constantly again. Make sure there are no lumps.
    Add sherry and brandy and reduce. This also burns off the alcohol, so you can still use this recipe if you don’t drink or are serving it to kids. Salt and pepper to taste. Put wild rice on plate add pheasant, cover with mushrooms, and then pour sauce over top. Eat right away while it’s still hot. This is my favorite way to prepare pheasant. A bottle of wine, or a couple of good hearty beers, and woo hoo!!!
    Steve

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Steve,hey my wife is working on a cookbook.Do you care if I use your recipe in the book?If I can use it could I get your full name please?Thank you and take care.
    Ryan Hale

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Steve,hey my wife is working on a cookbook.Do you care if I use your recipe in the book?If I can use it could I get your full name please?Thank you and take care.
    Ryan Hale

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

I don’t use sauces. What i do is take real butter, and put it in the bottom of a fry pan, lay my brests in the butter. then take and spread a little bit of butter on the top of the breast with a brush. then sprinkly my lawreyes, pepper, red cajon pepper, and chili powder on them, and cook them like a chicken. mmmmm delicious. I also cook the meat covered, keeps the moister in the meat.

thanks
    shane

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

I don’t use sauces. What i do is take real butter, and put it in the bottom of a fry pan, lay my brests in the butter. then take and spread a little bit of butter on the top of the breast with a brush. then sprinkly my lawreyes, pepper, red cajon pepper, and chili powder on them, and cook them like a chicken. mmmmm delicious. I also cook the meat covered, keeps the moister in the meat.

thanks
    shane

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Here’s a favorite of mine for grilling Pheasant breasts.
    Fillet the breasts off the bird. Take a fork and puncture the breast until it is full of holes. Put the breast in a bowl and cover with Hidden Valley Ranch dressing. Let it sit for a couple of hours.(usually I do this in the morning before leaving for work and stick it in the fridge for the day)
    Get the grill good and hot before putting them on.
    over Medium high heat grill for 4 minutes/side. You won’t believe the flavor and how moist they stay.

Good Eatin’ !!
    Crossin’

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Fillet the breasts off the bird. Take a fork and puncture the breast until it is full of holes. Put the breast in a bowl and cover with Hidden Valley Ranch dressing. Let it sit for a couple of hours.(usually I do this in the morning before leaving for work and stick it in the fridge for the day)
    Get the grill good and hot before putting them on.
    over Medium high heat grill for 4 minutes/side. You won’t believe the flavor and how moist they stay.

Good Eatin’ !!
    Crossin’

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Ryan,

Absolutely not a problem with that. My full name is Steve Hartke.

Thanks,

Steve

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Ryan,

Absolutely not a problem with that. My full name is Steve Hartke.

Thanks,

Steve

tazbbassin
    Des Moines, Iowa

Don’t know about “fancy” sauces . . . . but soaking them in some good old Wishbone Italian Dressing sure works for me !!!

tazbbassin
    Des Moines, Iowa

Don’t know about “fancy” sauces . . . . but soaking them in some good old Wishbone Italian Dressing sure works for me !!!

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Ryan,
    I forgot to ask, but what type of cookbook is she writing? I maybe interested in a copy.
    Thanks,
    Steve

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Ryan,
    I forgot to ask, but what type of cookbook is she writing? I maybe interested in a copy.
    Thanks,
    Steve

stuart
    Mn.

16oz jar marmalade one package liptons dry onion soup mix 160z.bottle western salad dressing combine all ingrediants pour over 4 duck or phesant breasts let sit in fridge at least 4hrs bake at 350 for 60 to80 min….sounds kinda wierd but a very good sauce…ive served it to many diff people and know everyone liked it

stuart
    Mn.

16oz jar marmalade one package liptons dry onion soup mix 160z.bottle western salad dressing combine all ingrediants pour over 4 duck or phesant breasts let sit in fridge at least 4hrs bake at 350 for 60 to80 min….sounds kinda wierd but a very good sauce…ive served it to many diff people and know everyone liked it

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Steve, she is putting a cook book together for a project for the local nursing home.I’m going to put a post up about it in the general discussion area.Thanks alot for your help Steve.
    Ryan Hale

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Steve, she is putting a cook book together for a project for the local nursing home.I’m going to put a post up about it in the general discussion area.Thanks alot for your help Steve.
    Ryan Hale

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Im willing to buy a cookbook with some nice recipies for gamebirds, geese, ducks, fish, rabbits, cookies, cakes etc. Have her put a price on it if she wants ryan.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Im willing to buy a cookbook with some nice recipies for gamebirds, geese, ducks, fish, rabbits, cookies, cakes etc. Have her put a price on it if she wants ryan.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

I make a sauce with equal parts cream of celery soup sour cream and white wine. season with rosemary and marjoram. Works for pheasant grouse or rabbit.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

I make a sauce with equal parts cream of celery soup sour cream and white wine. season with rosemary and marjoram. Works for pheasant grouse or rabbit.

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

I would be interested in purchasing one too!
    Thanks,
    Steve

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

I would be interested in purchasing one too!
    Thanks,
    Steve

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

I have a wild game cookbook with some good looking sauces in it, if anyone is interested in getting them, just PM me and I will go and dig them out.

shane

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

I have a wild game cookbook with some good looking sauces in it, if anyone is interested in getting them, just PM me and I will go and dig them out.

shane

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

Quote:

Fillet the breasts off the bird. Take a fork and puncture the breast until it is full of holes.

Between the lead shot and my shorthair my pheasant breasts have lots of holes already

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

Quote:

Fillet the breasts off the bird. Take a fork and puncture the breast until it is full of holes.

Between the lead shot and my shorthair my pheasant breasts have lots of holes already

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.