WHITEWATER GROUSE REPORT

• bassguy
    MANKATO

WENT GROUSE HUNTING TODAY IN WHITEWATER. HUNTED FROM NOON TO THREE THIRTY WITH NO DOG. HAD 11 FLUSHES FROM 8 DIFFERENT BIRDS. CONVERTED ON 2 OF 4 SHOTS. THE COVER HAS THINNED NICELY ALLOWING FOR A BETTER CHANCE AT A SHOT. ALSO BUMPED A PRETTY HEFTY 8 POINT OUT OF BED WHILE TRYING TO CREEP UP ON A REFLUSH. NICE BONUS AND HEART JUMP.
    SAW NO OTHER HUNTERS TODAY.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

hey riggy, thanks for the report.

sounds like there are at least a few grouse around this year. last year i went out 3 times and only has 3 flushes and one shot .

i’ve never hunted whitewater for grouse before, but i’ve heard that it can be a pretty good area. it must also get it’s fair share of pressure. is there a specific area that everyone likes to hunt, or is everywhere just as good as anywhere?

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

hey riggy, thanks for the report.

sounds like there are at least a few grouse around this year. last year i went out 3 times and only has 3 flushes and one shot .

i’ve never hunted whitewater for grouse before, but i’ve heard that it can be a pretty good area. it must also get it’s fair share of pressure. is there a specific area that everyone likes to hunt, or is everywhere just as good as anywhere?

bassguy
    MANKATO

HI JAKE,
    I HAVE SEEN VERY LITTLE PRESSURE FROM HUNTERS ON GROUSE SINCE I HAVE STARTED HUNTING HERE IN 1989. I HUNT A LOT DURING WEEKDAYS, BUT I HAVE DONE A FAIR SHARE ON WEEKENDS. MOST PEOPLE I RUN INTO OR SEE ARE EITHER LOOKING FOR PHEASANTS, TURKEY HUNTING,
    DEER HUNTING, OR LOOKING FOR GINSENG OR THE FIRE TOWER . THERE ARE A LOT OF GROUSE HERE THAT I THINK MOST PEOPLE DON’T REALIZE. THE LAND CAN BE DIFFICULT TO HUNT BECAUSE OF THE BLUFFS AND RAVINES OR COULEES. I USED TO GET CAUGHT IN THE BOTTOMS SOMETIMES, AND THEN HAVE TO CLIMB OUT
    I ALSO BELEIVE THESE GROUSE ARE A LOT WILDER AND MORE CHALLENGING THAN THE NORTHERN BIRDS.
    MY BEST SPOTS ARE IN THE SOUTHERN PARTS OF THE MANAGEMENT AREA. THROUGH EXPERIENCE, I HAVE PLANNED ROUTES WHERE I CAN HUNT FOR UP TO 3-4 HOURS STRAIGHT AND BE IN FLUSHING ZONES AT LEAST 80% OF THE TIME WITHOUT HAVING TO WORRY ABOUT GETTING LOST. IF YOUR INTERESTED IN HUNTING OVER THERE, I WOULD BE GLAD TO SHOW YOU SOME SPOTS. I USUALLY STAY CLEAR DURING 3B SLUG SEASON AND LOVE TO HUNT DURING DECEMBER THERE FOR GROUSE.

bassguy
    MANKATO

HI JAKE,
    I HAVE SEEN VERY LITTLE PRESSURE FROM HUNTERS ON GROUSE SINCE I HAVE STARTED HUNTING HERE IN 1989. I HUNT A LOT DURING WEEKDAYS, BUT I HAVE DONE A FAIR SHARE ON WEEKENDS. MOST PEOPLE I RUN INTO OR SEE ARE EITHER LOOKING FOR PHEASANTS, TURKEY HUNTING,
    DEER HUNTING, OR LOOKING FOR GINSENG OR THE FIRE TOWER . THERE ARE A LOT OF GROUSE HERE THAT I THINK MOST PEOPLE DON’T REALIZE. THE LAND CAN BE DIFFICULT TO HUNT BECAUSE OF THE BLUFFS AND RAVINES OR COULEES. I USED TO GET CAUGHT IN THE BOTTOMS SOMETIMES, AND THEN HAVE TO CLIMB OUT
    I ALSO BELEIVE THESE GROUSE ARE A LOT WILDER AND MORE CHALLENGING THAN THE NORTHERN BIRDS.
    MY BEST SPOTS ARE IN THE SOUTHERN PARTS OF THE MANAGEMENT AREA. THROUGH EXPERIENCE, I HAVE PLANNED ROUTES WHERE I CAN HUNT FOR UP TO 3-4 HOURS STRAIGHT AND BE IN FLUSHING ZONES AT LEAST 80% OF THE TIME WITHOUT HAVING TO WORRY ABOUT GETTING LOST. IF YOUR INTERESTED IN HUNTING OVER THERE, I WOULD BE GLAD TO SHOW YOU SOME SPOTS. I USUALLY STAY CLEAR DURING 3B SLUG SEASON AND LOVE TO HUNT DURING DECEMBER THERE FOR GROUSE.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Quote:

I USUALLY STAY CLEAR DURING 3B SLUG SEASON

that’s probably a good idea .

i’m suprised that it doesn’t get much pressure, but i guess bird numbers have been so low that there aren’t a lot of people that grouse hunt SE MN anymore.

i’m definatly gonna try and get down there this year. if you would be willing to show me a few spots sometime that would be great. after the late goose season closes, grouse is my only other option for those last few weeks in december. hopefully there’s not too much snow on the ground by then.

keep us updated

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Quote:

I USUALLY STAY CLEAR DURING 3B SLUG SEASON

that’s probably a good idea .

i’m suprised that it doesn’t get much pressure, but i guess bird numbers have been so low that there aren’t a lot of people that grouse hunt SE MN anymore.

i’m definatly gonna try and get down there this year. if you would be willing to show me a few spots sometime that would be great. after the late goose season closes, grouse is my only other option for those last few weeks in december. hopefully there’s not too much snow on the ground by then.

keep us updated

bassguy
    MANKATO

SOUNDS GOOD JAKE,
    I’LL KEEP YOU POSTED.

bassguy
    MANKATO

SOUNDS GOOD JAKE,
    I’LL KEEP YOU POSTED.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.