Field trials?

• crbasser
    IA

I just wanted to see if any of you have done any field trials with your hunters, or thought about trying any? I personally haven’t since my pup is only 8 months old, but several of my friends run them. I am thinking about trying mine in some next year, depends how the season goes. I know they’re kinda pricey, but just wanted to hear your adventures and thoughts on the subject.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Yes I’ve ran hunting test and field trails.Your hunting test are past and fail,you go against a test standard-not against another dog..There are 3 levels,JR,SR,MR. You can start to run these with your pup at 6 months.I had my setter female at her first when she was 10 months old.These are AKC events.My setters are FDSB so I had to get them AKC papers before I could run AKC events.Hunting test are very fun.
    Your field Trails can be more cut-throat to say the least.I did not care for them very much because of the nature of some of the dog owners.Alot of people are trying to get points on a dog to get championship status with them = more $ when they have pups with them.It was neat to see and compete but it was just not for me.It was FDSB event in S.D. Some of these guys showed up with 10 dogs to run the events.I was a little nervous showing up with my little setter female and running against dogs that were very close or were champs.
    But anything like this involves training which will always make your dog and yourself better.Best of luck.
    Ryan Hale

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Yes I’ve ran hunting test and field trails.Your hunting test are past and fail,you go against a test standard-not against another dog..There are 3 levels,JR,SR,MR. You can start to run these with your pup at 6 months.I had my setter female at her first when she was 10 months old.These are AKC events.My setters are FDSB so I had to get them AKC papers before I could run AKC events.Hunting test are very fun.
    Your field Trails can be more cut-throat to say the least.I did not care for them very much because of the nature of some of the dog owners.Alot of people are trying to get points on a dog to get championship status with them = more $ when they have pups with them.It was neat to see and compete but it was just not for me.It was FDSB event in S.D. Some of these guys showed up with 10 dogs to run the events.I was a little nervous showing up with my little setter female and running against dogs that were very close or were champs.
    But anything like this involves training which will always make your dog and yourself better.Best of luck.
    Ryan Hale

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.