Which state is your favorite to pheasant hunt ?

• SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

Iowa here, I to have never had to go anywhere else. We dont have a tremendous amounts of birds but we have enough to keep us happy. Looks to be a good year ,I think we had good hatches and the weather was ok. I have to re seed my CRP this spring for the new contract,so it will be big blue stem instead of switchgrass that has been dying off more every year. Big Blue stem is taller but is not as thick as switch. This could be interesting.

SEAN

I have a hard time answering this one…I’ve only pheasant hunted in two states…PA and Iowa…..I have hunted here in PA since I was knee high to a rooster and last season I took somewhere in the neighborhood of 75 pheasant here in PA. Most of those were stockies or game farm birds, as we only have isolated pockets of wild birds now-a-days. Hunting pheasants in Iowa was a new and exciting experience and was so enjoyable that we are making the 21 hour drive back out there to do it again this year. I guess Iowa would be my favorite “real” pheasant state BUT I have not experienced pheasants in any other mid-western state yet.

SEAN

I have a hard time answering this one…I’ve only pheasant hunted in two states…PA and Iowa…..I have hunted here in PA since I was knee high to a rooster and last season I took somewhere in the neighborhood of 75 pheasant here in PA. Most of those were stockies or game farm birds, as we only have isolated pockets of wild birds now-a-days. Hunting pheasants in Iowa was a new and exciting experience and was so enjoyable that we are making the 21 hour drive back out there to do it again this year. I guess Iowa would be my favorite “real” pheasant state BUT I have not experienced pheasants in any other mid-western state yet.

crbasser
    IA

I’ve have hunted Iowa Ringnecks as long as I can remember, and I usually don’t have any trouble finding birds. This November I’m finally going to try out of State and go to S. Dakota, but only 5 miles from N. Dakota. I’ve been told that I will see more birds out there in 1 hr, than what I would in Iowa in 1 day. I guess I will be the judge of that, either way I will enjoy watching the beauty of bird dogs in action.

crbasser
    IA

I’ve have hunted Iowa Ringnecks as long as I can remember, and I usually don’t have any trouble finding birds. This November I’m finally going to try out of State and go to S. Dakota, but only 5 miles from N. Dakota. I’ve been told that I will see more birds out there in 1 hr, than what I would in Iowa in 1 day. I guess I will be the judge of that, either way I will enjoy watching the beauty of bird dogs in action.

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I have hunted in Iowa for quite a long time now… and yes we have plenty of birds to occupy us…. but if you truely want to fall into the mother load of birds…. nothing beats South Dakota… I hunted up near Aberdeen (sp?) and when you see birds roosting in town in the trees it is just amazing…. No joke …. when you get into some of these fields not just a few birds get up, I talking a huge number of birds…and we did this hunt during the last week of the season… always limited out.. you couldnt help but limit out….but one word of caution though… if you get a chance to hunt a sweet pea field… dont do it… hardest stuff I have ever tried to walk through and is very hard on the dogs… will tear them up…look for spots with cattails… birds love to go to the cattails…

bird

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I have hunted in Iowa for quite a long time now… and yes we have plenty of birds to occupy us…. but if you truely want to fall into the mother load of birds…. nothing beats South Dakota… I hunted up near Aberdeen (sp?) and when you see birds roosting in town in the trees it is just amazing…. No joke …. when you get into some of these fields not just a few birds get up, I talking a huge number of birds…and we did this hunt during the last week of the season… always limited out.. you couldnt help but limit out….but one word of caution though… if you get a chance to hunt a sweet pea field… dont do it… hardest stuff I have ever tried to walk through and is very hard on the dogs… will tear them up…look for spots with cattails… birds love to go to the cattails…

bird

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Iowa! I don’t even have to get in the truck. Walk out my door, through the grove and into the field. Looks like there will be alot more birds this year.

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Iowa! I don’t even have to get in the truck. Walk out my door, through the grove and into the field. Looks like there will be alot more birds this year.

tightline1
    nebraska

nebraska it is my home state and i can hunt five min from home.

tightline1
    nebraska

nebraska it is my home state and i can hunt five min from home.

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

big fish dude,

I do alot of hunting in the Clutier/Traer/Toledo area… I grew up in Traer and also do alot of hunting in the Dysart area…. maybe we should get together for a hunt sometime.

bird

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

big fish dude,

I do alot of hunting in the Clutier/Traer/Toledo area… I grew up in Traer and also do alot of hunting in the Dysart area…. maybe we should get together for a hunt sometime.

bird

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I was born and raised in iowa in cedar rapis. i grew up on the edge of town and didn’t have to walk far to hunt pheasants. In the late 60’s and early 70’s there were pheasants everywhere. I could shoot my limit with a 20 minute walk from my house. Since then i’ve found many spots to hunt. I’ve got a brittney and shes got a pedagree better than mine lol. We now hunt between Mt. Pleasant and Fairfield in southern Iowa where i bought my pup. Shes 10 now. We get to hunt quail and pheasants there, nice covies up to 50 birds. Plus the added bonus of hundreds of big rabbits. Had to start loading our own shells to keep the expense down lol. Good hunting this fall to you guys and stay safe.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I was born and raised in iowa in cedar rapis. i grew up on the edge of town and didn’t have to walk far to hunt pheasants. In the late 60’s and early 70’s there were pheasants everywhere. I could shoot my limit with a 20 minute walk from my house. Since then i’ve found many spots to hunt. I’ve got a brittney and shes got a pedagree better than mine lol. We now hunt between Mt. Pleasant and Fairfield in southern Iowa where i bought my pup. Shes 10 now. We get to hunt quail and pheasants there, nice covies up to 50 birds. Plus the added bonus of hundreds of big rabbits. Had to start loading our own shells to keep the expense down lol. Good hunting this fall to you guys and stay safe.

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Quote:

big fish dude,

bird

We will have to PM and see what we can get together. I usually duck hunt till it freezes up. I do most of my huntin’ & fishin’ with Big B.

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Quote:

big fish dude,

bird

We will have to PM and see what we can get together. I usually duck hunt till it freezes up. I do most of my huntin’ & fishin’ with Big B.

DRizzzle
    Hudson, Iowa, USA

iowa cuz its the only place i have hunted. thought about taking a trip to ND when the pheasents here werent very good but they have bounced back tremendously!! BFD i live like close to you in Eagle Center

DRizzzle
    Hudson, Iowa, USA

iowa cuz its the only place i have hunted. thought about taking a trip to ND when the pheasents here werent very good but they have bounced back tremendously!! BFD i live like close to you in Eagle Center

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

D-Rizzle,
    Do you do any hunting for the Huns in your area ?…. I live in CF and I have done alot of hunting for Huns around Eagle Center before…. Hun season starts next weekend…
    bird

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

D-Rizzle,
    Do you do any hunting for the Huns in your area ?…. I live in CF and I have done alot of hunting for Huns around Eagle Center before…. Hun season starts next weekend…
    bird

stevew
    Burnsville, MN

Kansas. Used to be stationed at Ft Riley. Great hunting areas on post and fantastic public hunting areas as well. Ringnecks, Bobwhite Quail (lots of fun!)and Doves. We burned up lots of shells!

stevew
    Burnsville, MN

Kansas. Used to be stationed at Ft Riley. Great hunting areas on post and fantastic public hunting areas as well. Ringnecks, Bobwhite Quail (lots of fun!)and Doves. We burned up lots of shells!

Beckman

Quote:

I have only pheasant hunted in SD. Literally seeing 200 rooster flushes is tough to compare to. Makes it really hard to get motivated to hunt in MN, hearing stories of hours of walking to find a hen or two. I’d rather be chasing the walleyes then.

I’ve never hunted South Dakota before, I know it’s awesome, but I can’t see the point in going out there and hunting for maybe 5 minutes and then be done because you have your limit already. For me it seems much more rewarding to walk around a while and try to outsmart a couple birds than to set foot in the field and all hell break loose then the hunt’s over. Heck even in MN you can scratch out a limit with a good dog and an afternoon to spare.

Beckman

Quote:

I have only pheasant hunted in SD. Literally seeing 200 rooster flushes is tough to compare to. Makes it really hard to get motivated to hunt in MN, hearing stories of hours of walking to find a hen or two. I’d rather be chasing the walleyes then.

I’ve never hunted South Dakota before, I know it’s awesome, but I can’t see the point in going out there and hunting for maybe 5 minutes and then be done because you have your limit already. For me it seems much more rewarding to walk around a while and try to outsmart a couple birds than to set foot in the field and all hell break loose then the hunt’s over. Heck even in MN you can scratch out a limit with a good dog and an afternoon to spare.

wing_nutt3

Im a native minnesotan, but going to school in missoula Mt,we are headed 8 hours east almost to the ND canada border to hunt ducks in the morn and rings in the afternoon, its a three day trip , i have never hunted pheasant in Mt,but i hear that its pretty good in the eastern part , let ya guys know how it went ////Tim

wing_nutt3

Im a native minnesotan, but going to school in missoula Mt,we are headed 8 hours east almost to the ND canada border to hunt ducks in the morn and rings in the afternoon, its a three day trip , i have never hunted pheasant in Mt,but i hear that its pretty good in the eastern part , let ya guys know how it went ////Tim

Viewing 27 posts - 31 through 57 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.