Uh Oh

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

If only it could happened in front of a weekend so I could get my sleds out.

That’s what I was thinking too. 18 inches, even if it all actually happened, would be awesome but it isn’t going to last long enough for most of us to actually get the machines out. And I would guess nobody is going to open up trails so it’d have to be on private property anyway.

CaptainMusky

Trails are open through April 1 so if there is snow, you can ride on them. The question will be whether or not they will bother grooming. THey havent groomed here once all year.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I was about to run the gas out of the snowblower. I just I’ll wait for another week, just in case. It figures, the lakes around here are ice free and I’ve got the itch to get out in the boat and then mother nature says ” Not so Fast ” A buddy and I had plans to get out yesterday morning. After seeing 21 Deg’s with a feels like of 8 deg’s with 20+ winds we decided it was a good day to stay home and watch some good golf.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It figures, the lakes around here are ice free and I’ve got the itch to get out in the boat and then mother nature says ” Not so Fast ” A buddy and I had plans to get out yesterday morning. After seeing 21 Deg’s with a feels like of 8 deg’s with 20+ winds we decided it was a good day to stay home

Haha. I was exactly the same. Get the boat and gear all ready to go, charge the batteries, and then see an inland hurricane with plummeting temps on the schedule.

Think I’ll be waiting another couple weeks now based on the upcoming forecast. Oh well. Its only March 18.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I saw DOT dropped road restrictions today. Might be tomorrow but still pretty early.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Think I’ll be waiting another couple weeks now based on the upcoming forecast. Oh well. Its only March 18.

That’s what I told my fishing buddy. Not worth freezing for a few Crappies. We will still be out about a month earlier than normal.

deertracker

Small ponds are freezing again in the Alexandria area. I’m getting my ice fishing stuff back out and ready. woot
    DT

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I saw DOT dropped road restrictions today. Might be tomorrow but still pretty early.

If the frost is gone, there’s really no “too early” to take off the road restrictions. They’re put in place because as the frost leaves the ground the material in the road beds can get soft. I don’t see any temperatures that are going to reestablish a driving frost for the Southern Half of MN and things are dry as can be at depth here.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Youbetcha wrote:</div>

If the frost is gone, there’s really no “too early” to take off the road restrictions. They’re put in place because as the frost leaves the ground the material in the road beds can get soft. I don’t see any temperatures that are going to reestablish a driving frost for the Southern Half of MN and things are dry as can be at depth here.

I just meant early date wise. Not that im saying they shouldnt drop them. Crazy year.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^For sure a strange year.

There are local builders here who didn’t stop digging one bit all Winter. There wasn’t ever more than 6-8 inches of frost in the right areas. When we built in 2021 and 2022…we found frost in SE MN on the shady side in May while getting the well connected. This year I’m not sure there was ever measurable frost in that area.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Small ponds are freezing again in the Alexandria area. I’m getting my ice fishing stuff back out and ready. woot
    DT

Now that would be interesting. Go from ice fishing to open water fishing back to ice fishing in a few weeks. That would be a new one for me.

FinnyDinDin

The ice went out on the lake I live on Friday night. This morning 80% was frozen and judging but the forecast it should be thick enough to walk on by Thursday.

Do we call this ‘late ice’ or ‘second ice’?

Forecast is calling for 16 inches of snow from Sunday through Tuesday.

JEREMY
    BP

I would say early ice 2024

tim hurley

All those people posting about winterizing sleds and blowers jinxed us-wet snow is great for the topsoil which is more like ‘topdust’ right now, that’s a plus.

10klakes

You can blame the handful of us out in the boat chasing crappies the last week or two. It’s been great with everyone sitting at home!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

All those people posting about winterizing sleds and blowers jinxed us-wet snow is great for the topsoil which is more like ‘topdust’ right now, that’s a plus.

Haha. I think it was actually “summerizing snowblowers” but regardless…

A rain/snow mix or a heavy wet snow would be so beneficial for the landscape. There’s burning and red flag warnings every single day right now.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tim hurley wrote:</div>

Haha. I think it was actually “summerizing snowblowers” but regardless…

A rain/snow mix or a heavy wet snow would be so beneficial for the landscape. There’s burning and red flag warnings every single day right now.

I have a pile of about 15 tree tops from windfalls and far too much buckthorn piled as high as the lull could stack it in a field by our house. There’s also the remnants of x6 dead ~100 year old oak trees stacked up. I haven’t dared to burn it but maybe this will be my shot. The local FD is going to come out and do some training with it if this forecast holds true

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

It’s not going away yet.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240319-193945.png

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Well PoP you can keep it up there!! rotflol we could use the moisture for sure.

CaptainMusky

I just saw a model run that called for 37 inches in st cloud. Haha the weather nazis! No chance.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

In addition to the Sunday to next Tuesday, suddenly I’m seeing a lot more on this Thursday. 3-4 inches now for east metro.

I mean, even if we get the low end of all the ranges through next week, that’s still over 8 inches.

It’s always interesting in MN.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Models runs have shifted the clipper coming through on Thursday further north. The heaviest bands now look to be from the north metro to Brainerd and northwest towards Alexandria. It may shift again to the north by the time it arrives tomorrow.

Attachments:
    1. 3-21-24.jpg

CaptainMusky

Thats pretty healthy for a clipper system.

Michael Best

Wow have the numbers shot up now.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_4009.png

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The one on Sun/Mon is still very uncertain, especially on the rain/snow/mix line on the eastern half. Where Michael is, it will be all snow. Further east, it could be a lot of mixed precipitation.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

We’ve now hit the proverbial 36 hour window for this first smaller system. That generally means that we have passed “peak terror” and totals start to dip a bit. Once we get into the 12 hour window leading up to the storm we start to hear words like “dry slot”, “shift”, “sharp gradient”, “rain-snow line” and so on. Then as it actually arrives people realize the measured totals will be around 50% of what was forecasted 3 days in advance.

The second system is still not quite to “peak terror” timing yet as we are still in the “rising action” sequence. Expect those totals to stay overhyped for a couple more days.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

^^nailed it!! I’ll be fine with rain, snow, mix or all of the above. We need it.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

We’ve now hit the proverbial 36 hour window for this first smaller system. That generally means that we have passed “peak terror” and totals start to dip a bit. Once we get into the 12 hour window leading up to the storm we start to hear words like “dry slot”, “shift”, “sharp gradient”, “rain-snow line” and so on. Then as it actually arrives people realize the measured totals will be around 50% of what was forecasted 3 days in advance.

The second system is still not quite to “peak terror” timing yet as we are still in the “rising action” sequence. Expect those totals to stay overhyped for a couple more days.

Bucky……..you and Bellruis whistling rotflol need to start collaborating on these weather forecasts!!!! whistling whistling

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

“Peak terror” Lol that’s pretty accurately stated

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 155 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.