Twins 2023 Thread

• Brittman

Analytics, spray and pray, whatever roster building strategy you want to call it. Year 5 is kind of a pivot year … for this management team.

Strategy worked OK years 1 & 2 (really enjoyed that covid shortened season) … but years 3 & 4 not so much.

Interesting they went from long ball “bomba squad” to more of a small ball and defense based strategy…

Brittman

Then there is this:

M.L.B. Bans the Shift and Adds a Pitch Clock for 2023 The league’s competition committee chose to take immediate action on the issues despite the players voting against the changes. Starting in 2023, M.L.B. teams will no longer be allowed to use a defensive shift in which three infielders line up on the same side of the field.

Brittman

Nelson Cruz – one of my all-time favorite Twins even if his time here was short.

Brittman

Donovan Solano – age 35 expected to sign with the Twins. Could be a good hitter addition.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Twins make an interesting signing of another veteran infielder. Donovan Solano. I’ve actually never heard of him but he’s hit .305 over the last four seasons and won a Silver Slugger in 2021. Not sure where they are going to play him but I’ll be happy to have someone that can actually hit in the lineup. You also can’t have too many good backups behind Polanco and Kiriloff.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Varland and Maeda on the mound for the first two Twins games today to kick of Spring training. Probably go two innings each. Maybe only one for Maeda.

Ripjiggen

Twins make an interesting signing of another veteran infielder. Donovan Solano. I’ve actually never heard of him but he’s hit .305 over the last four seasons and won a Silver Slugger in 2021. Not sure where they are going to play him but I’ll be happy to have someone that can actually hit in the lineup. You also can’t have too many good backups behind Polanco and Kiriloff.

Most likely plays for Kiriloff. I’m not convinced that wrist isn’t going to be a problem. He is still haveing some pain.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

Most likely plays for Kiriloff. I’m not convinced that wrist isn’t going to be a problem. He is still haveing some pain.

I would agree. I’m not sure they think he’s ever going to be pain free but they are hoping to make it as little as possible so it doesn’t affect him too much. He’s at least able to swing 100% so far, which wasn’t the case last year. We’ll see.

Their depth alone should make them quite a bit better this season. Rocco still has the ability to screw that up with his bullpen virtually the same. We’ll see how much better.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

First game of the spring on BSN right now. nice to see baseball again.

Jake Cave 2-2 with bomb for the Phillies. I know there’s a lot of Cave fans here! jester

Brad Dimond

I hope for nothing but the best for Jake Cave. That said, he’s a marginal major leaguer.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Estimated Career Earnings
    Year Salary Signing Bonus
    2020 $217,593 –
    2021 $597,500 –
    2022 $281,344 –
    Est. Earnings (5 seasons) $1,807,009 $600,000

I’d wanna be a marginal baseball player.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Watched 3 pitches and the pitch clock is the best rule change in MLB in 30 years. Batters don’t have much time to redo their batting gloves.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I think games are averaging around 3 hours now. It’s pretty amazing how well it has worked so far this spring.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Things I like so far this spring training:

-Eduard Julien
    -Maeda looks good and is throwing 90+ already
    -Austin Martin looking pretty good.

Things I hate so far this spring training:

-The boring ass 1970s little league jerseys the are wearing this year.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Gallo went deep for the first time and had 3 hits today. Kepler also went deep. Mahle looked really good in his first game action on the mound. Pretty good start by the starting pitchers so far this spring too. No rotation arms hurt yet and everyone throwing normal mid season velocity. There’s a sliver of hope!

Matt Vogel

Miranda with another dinger today, makin it rain! applause peace toast

Walleye Man42

Are starting staff will be the best we have had in many years, it also looks like we will have the deepest team in years, but we still have no ace, but I believe this team will be a good regular season team and should compete for the division.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Boy are you guys getting sucked in!! hah

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Boy are you guys getting sucked in!! hah

It may seem like it, but this rotation is easily the best they’ve had in 20 years. The lineup should be solid as well. The thing that could/will derail it are the injuries. Well, and Baldelli.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Are we sure Baldelli isn’t the puppet on the end of the strings?

Walleye Man42

Maybe we need to have a bad start to the season to get the ax, but I think Dutch is right, he is just a puppet.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Are we sure Baldelli isn’t the puppet on the end of the strings?

I think it’s been very obvious he is since he’s started here. I also think most people would agree.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Sonny Gray pitched a perfect 3 innings with 4 k’s against the starters for the Dominican WBC team today. Twins beat them 2-1.

Side note. Wonder if Buxton is going to play in a game this spring?

JEREMY
    BP

Why should he. He has such a good track record he needs no practice.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I just don’t understand this catching with one knee on the ground. How can you pop & throw from one knee? What is suppose to be the advantage of catching from one knee? You certainly can’t slide out to block a pitch. It doesn’t matter when framing a pitch.

I don’t get it.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

It allows the catcher to set the target lower and give the ump a less obstructed view of the lower half of the zone. That’s the thought process. Does it make a difference, I’m not convinced.

Brittman

I have heard the Red Sox had a RF shift in play against the Twins that circumvented the new rule … any comments on that ?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I have heard the Red Sox had a RF shift in play against the Twins that circumvented the new rule … any comments on that ?

Well really the rule only says you have to have two infielders on each side of second base and your feet have to be in front of the outfield grass. Doesn’t say the right fielder can’t play shallow and basically be that shifted player. I personally don’t care about the shift. What pisses me off is the players and coaches that refuse to beat it or bunt against it. If they did that teams would stop shifting so, that would solve the issue in my mind.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Not Twins related but we now get to see what advertising on the helmets and uniforms (WBC teams) will be. The beer softball team look and game gets closer every year. jester

RT
    Twin Cities

Well Sanchez pitched a heck of a game today. Really earned that 6th spot in the rotation.

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 2,096 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.