Twins 2023 Thread

• FryDog62

I think it’s very unlikely Gray is back. At his age, he’s going to want to get as much for as long as he can and that’s unlikely with the Twins.

Plus, Sonny isn’t a fan of Rocco as we know. In his mind, the pitching philosophy of the Twins and short leash cost him stats, innings, wins… and minimized his leverage to get a bigger contract in 2024 and beyond.

I think he’s quite bitter. A top offer from Minnesota could change his mind but it would have to be a lot better than anywhere else. That’s not the MO around here…

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

I think it’s very unlikely Gray is back. At his age, he’s going to want to get as much for as long as he can and that’s unlikely with the Twins.

Plus, Sonny isn’t a fan of Rocco as we know. In his mind, the pitching philosophy of the Twins and short leash cost him stats, innings, wins… and minimized his leverage to get a bigger contract in 2024 and beyond.

I think he’s quite bitter. A top offer from Minnesota could change his mind but it would have to be a lot better than anywhere else. That’s not the MO around here…

He may have been last year, I recall him making those comments. But the Twins were in 2nd for highest IP for their starters this year. So Rocco listened, with basically a 180* turnaround.

So who knows what he’s thinking right now.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’d say 80-20 that Gray is gone. He can still get it done. Wins are the most overrated stat in baseball as he is someone who got no run support. He had the 3rd lowest ERA of his 12 year MLB career.

It seems like someone who is a step closer to winning it all than the Twins will pay handsomely for his services. He is exactly the type of arm the Twins need to retain if they’re serious about being in this same spot every October…to the point they should consider “overpaying” for him.

Their division is a dumpster of teams who avoid winning at all costs (all teams have below the league average payroll except the Sox who are just above). I’d expect to see the Twins right back in this spot if they can retain some pitching depth and the young returning bats stay healthy.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Gray made a comment before joining the Twins if he didn’t get the right deal he had no problem retiring. He doesn’t care about a long term deal or pitching late into his 30s. I think if the Twins offer him a competitive extension for one or two years he will take it because of the situation they are in. As long as the kids keep improving, he will have a good shot at being in the postseason for however long he stays with the Twins.

CaptainMusky

There were definitely some encouraging signs from some of those guys like Stewart, Paddox and the other guy I forget maybe Varland? 1 or 2 of those could be starters so there could be our Gray replacement, but then it would weaken the bullpen.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I would have saved Buxtons feel good charity at bat for friday night… whistling

CaptainMusky

I just from Dan Hayes that Gray said “he loved it here and wouldnt be swayed by more money to play somewhere”. SO theres hope!

CaptainMusky

Baldelli gets a lot of flak, but I just read that he has the highest winning % of the last 4 mgrs. More division titles than Kelly and Molitor and more playoff wins that Molitor. Id say he might be doing a good job, but certainly could do better in many areas.

FryDog62

I just from Dan Hayes that Gray said “he loved it here and wouldnt be swayed by more money to play somewhere”. SO theres hope!

Maybe throwing out Vlad Jr. and Correa chest-bumping him did it lol

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Baldelli gets a lot of flak, but I just read that he has the highest winning % of the last 4 mgrs. More division titles than Kelly and Molitor and more playoff wins that Molitor. Id say he might be doing a good job, but certainly could do better in many areas.

It’s arguable that he’s had the best players of the last four managers as well.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

That’s kind of what I was getting at with Gray. His previous comments has made it seem like he doesn’t care about term or money. It’s more about the situation.

CaptainMusky

Umm, not so sure about that Gardy had a pretty stacked roster when he was here, but definitely could be right about the other two.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

He had Mauer and Morneau and Cuddyer. That was it. Kubel, Koskie, Hunter, were solid but not great. AND they had ZERO bench players. You gotta let the MN bias not fool you.

CaptainMusky

Who on Rocco’s teams have been better than your fringe guys from Gardy? They are all in the same mold and I’d argue Gardy had far better pitching with Nathan, Santana etc

CaptainMusky

Rocco had a much better roster THIS year but not previously. I’m not even a baseball guy but I watch it and I know what I see.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I just think outside Mauer, Morneau, Cuddyer, and Santana, Gardy’s Twins didn’t a ton of real talent. You could put Hunter in there I suppose. Some guys had a great season or two but nothing prolonged. Nathan was a typical Twin, great during the regular season, but couldn’t handle the postseason. Duran seems to be able to handle it. It’s probably closer than I’m remembering but I would say Rocco has had better overall rosters.

CaptainMusky

Doesn’t Nathan have the most saves in the history for the twins? If so that says something. Gardy also had Liriano for a while and that is damn good pitching.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Liriano was good for one and a half years. After that he was hurt or average. He was the guy Dark Star’s famous “if he’s on it’s going to be a good night, but if he’s off get the women and children out of the first ten rows in left field” quote was referring to.

CaptainMusky

Yeah I remember that but to say Rocco is reaping with talent that Gardy didn’t have I think is a stretch.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

So who is the Nick Punto, Matt Lecroy, Jason Tyner, Denny Hocking, and Alexi Casilla of this era? mrgreen

kidfish

No that was filmed by a sprinkler fitter. Former apprentice of mine. He stopped by my house today and showed me the video and said he was being contacted for permission to post it.

Brittman

Imagine the Twins if Sano or Buxton could have reached even a portion of where Yordan Alvarez is today … pretty sure that was the Twins vision … but well we all know how that turned out.

One can dream I guess. That would be a difference maker.

Brittman

1991 – World Champion MN Twins

1B Hrbek
    2B Knoblock
    SS Gagne
    3B A mix – Pagliarulo
    LF Gladden
    CF Pucket
    RF Mack
    DH Davis

SP Morris, Erickson, Tapani
    Closer Aguilera

Dan
    Southeast MN

Didn’t they try out automated ball/strike calls at some level of minor league ball this year? Anyone hear how that went? I’d honestly be very open to that.

CaptainMusky

Didn’t they try out automated ball/strike calls at some level of minor league ball this year? Anyone hear how that went? I’d honestly be very open to that.

Yes they did, I cant remember what level it was, maybe low A but they certainly did maybe not the whole year. I dont remember how it went, but I like the thought of it.

CaptainMusky

Also, I cant remember if I posted this earlier, but it came out that the Twins had more strikes called balls (pitchers) and more balls called strikes (hitters) with a total of 38 missed calls which the rangers the next closest had 27. That is quite a disparity.
    The missed strike call on Kepler when Lewis was stealing led to an inning ending DP when it should have been a walk and runners on 1 and 2 with 1 out. That dramatically changes the game.

Brittman

Well, it ended the series creating an opportunity for the Umpire crew to have a late evening out on the town and a few days off before the next series starts or if this crew is now done … vacation time for the next 6 months.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I think EVERBODY wants an automated strikezone, the only worry is what happens when (you know it will happen) the system doesn’t track a pitch or glitches out? Just imagine the 3-2 count against Kepler in the bottom of the 9th and the pitch is 5 inches outside but the automated system didn’t track the pitch or glitched out and therefor requires a redo… that would be chaos…

Viewing 30 posts - 2,041 through 2,070 (of 2,096 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.