Trigger Swap

• blackbay

I just picked up a Triggertech trigger for my Remington 700. The swap is something I don’t have an issue with, but I’m wondering if I should remove the scope. I’m thinking more so to protect it during driving the trigger pins out and back in.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The pins on the 700 trigger should come out with very little force. I cannot see the trigger removal having any impact on a scope’s zero.

If I recall correctly, the 700’s trigger pins are very small and a tiny punch is required, so make sure you have one small enough. I don’t remember the size, but I have a whole set of gunsmith’s punches and it is like the second smallest in the whole set.

A light tapping with a mallet or small ball peen hammer is all it takes and once they budge a little, they come right out so be careful. I work on a set of sandbags so I can position and support the barrel and action with sandbags, but still have clearance to drive the pins downward. I find this easier than working horizontally with the action in a cradle, but whatever works for you.

You probably know this, but the rearward pin should NOT be completely removed unless your specific trigger requires it. The rear pin retains a spring in the 700 and if you over-drive that pin past the spring, the spring goes shooting into the next county.

Grouse

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.