Timberwolves – NBA

• buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Just read an article, Wolves are going small ball like everyone else, be a sheep and follow. Projected Starting lineup –

C – KAT
    PF – Hernangomez
    SF – Edwards (this is a stretch)
    SG – Russell
    PG – Rubio
    First off the bench – Beasley (if re-signed), Okogie

And they signed Ashton Hagans PG Kentucky, undrafted, great pickup.

tbro16 likely nailed it 25-28 win team, no where near the playoffs.

I’m not saying I disagree that this won’t be a lineup at times…but that plan won’t last long. The “Small Ball” thing is effective for certain teams, mainly those with guys who guard 3-4 different positions effectively. KAT doesn’t guard one position effectively. Russell’s defense isn’t anything to write home about. This lineup would lose a lot of games…far more than they should.

So in this scenario they’re going to ask Edwards to guard the other team’s best player with minimal help behind him (KAT and his lack of defense), while rarely handling the ball on offense and being relegated to a jump shooter? For a guy with question marks regarding his drive to get better and play at 100% all the time, this role could sink him before his career starts.

Bring Rubio off the bench. Let Russell play PG. Let Edwards play the 2. When teams overthink things, it rarely ends well.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Rubio is minutes off the bench. No common sense HC will beat that drum again…..but this the wolves.
    Beasley is the 3rd piece to the team but since his legal troubles, it makes it very hard to predict how good they can be. I don’t think they even played together last year more than a game or two. I’ll tune in time to time since NFL is winding down.
    I like the pick but anyone who thinks they know won’t know for years.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

To me the Rubio trade didnt really make much sense, other than the simple fact that the games will be slightly more enjoyable to watch now than what they would have been without him. Certainly doesnt push the needle, maybe makes a 25 win team a 28 win team with him? Doubt its that dramatic, but I think they’ll be somewhere along those lines. Hope I’m wrong, but either way it looks terrible financially.

Sure, Rubio can do a few things that other players on the roster cant do. Pass, dribble, be a team leader, and especially play defense, but now the Wolves have 0 cap flexibility and gave up a 1st round asset to do it. Not my idea of a rebuild

They had 3 first round picks at one point. You can afford to give one or two up ESPECIALLY in this years draft with not much talent. You answered your confusion on why they traded for him. He’s a leader, incredible passer and ball handler, great defender. Skills almost all of their current players do not possess. They haven’t had a good team oriented point guard since he left and now he has some guys that will actually make some shots. Also, his shooting has improved quite a bit since he was here last. I think it makes a lot of sense. Turn Russell into the 2 and let Rubio handle the ball.

I think Bucky’s lineup is about as good as it can get with this team. Might replace Edwards with Okogie until the kid gets his feet wet but I don’t think Okogie or Culver have starting talent.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

They had 3 first round picks at one point. You can afford to give one or two up

False. They had 1, 17, and an early 2nd rounder to begin the draft. They traded 17 for Rubio, 25, and 28. They then traded 25 and the early 2nd rounder for the European guy at 23.

I didnt “answer my own question” because I’m aware of what kind of player Rubio is. The negatives of the trade outweighed the positives, in my opinion. He doesnt really make the team that much better and he puts them in an awful spot financially. Cap flexibility is so so important, and they had it, but lost it because of the trade. Its a trade terrible teams do to be a little less terrible. The Wolves are in no shape to be trading a #17 pick, and the cheap contract and team control he’ll have for several years, for an average at best veteran player on high paying contract.

For the future and team rebuild it was an awful trade but when its a Tuesday night in the middle of February with the only thing I have to look forward to is the Wolves-Nuggets game later that evening, I’ll be glad they have Rubio on the roster. He’ll make the game a bit more enticing.. but thats about it.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>
    They had 3 first round picks at one point. You can afford to give one or two up

False. They had 1, 17, and an early 2nd rounder to begin the draft. They traded 17 for Rubio, 25, and 28. They then traded 25 and the early 2nd rounder for the European guy at 23.

I didnt “answer my own question” because I’m aware of what kind of player Rubio is. The negatives of the trade outweighed the positives, in my opinion. He doesnt really make the team that much better and he puts them in an awful spot financially. Cap flexibility is so so important, and they had it, but lost it because of the trade. Its a trade terrible teams do to be a little less terrible. The Wolves are in no shape to be trading a #17 pick, and the cheap contract and team control he’ll have for several years, for an average at best veteran player on high paying contract.

For the future and team rebuild it was an awful trade but when its a Tuesday night in the middle of February with the only thing I have to look forward to is the Wolves-Nuggets game later that evening, I’ll be glad they have Rubio on the roster. He’ll make the game a bit more enticing.. but thats about it.

You would rather waste a draft pick on a player that has a good chance to never even make the starting lineup with the team over the next few years over a guy that immediately improves the defense, improves the ball movement (which was HORRIBLE last year) and fills the need of a ball moving point guard?

Now I know why you love the Twins so much. Always planning for the future to the point of neglecting the actual team. I get the contract situation isn’t ideal. But you can’t say the deal doesn’t make them a better team. I don’t think you give Rubio enough credit. He has been an above average player since he left MN especially the last couple seasons. AND he makes the players around him better. Something that KAT and Russell know nothing about.

I forget why I’m here. I don’t even like basketball.

wave

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

You would rather waste a draft pick on a player that has a good chance to never even make the starting lineup with the team over the next few years over a guy that immediately improves the defense, improves the ball movement (which was HORRIBLE last year) and fills the need of a ball moving point guard?

But you can’t say the deal doesn’t make them a better team.

I forget why I’m here. I don’t even like basketball.

Wasting a draft pick? Is every draft pick a waste then? Maybe just those that aren’t in the lottery? I’ve already stated why I don’t like the trade. I think most that actually understand basketball and how front offices work would agree. I also clearly stated that I think Rubio makes them better. As did I mention how he improves them defensively and passing. I think they could have done a lot of different things with a first round pick and $40 mil over the next two years. Instead, we get Rubio.

You’ve already said you don’t like or know basketball, but yet here you are telling me the trade was so great for x, x, and x reason lol. Some day you’ll learn basketball like you think you know baseball!

toddrun

tbro16, the one thing I think you miss on your theory, is that you think a player wants to come play with the Wolves just for the money. Its been proven that the Wolves cannot get free agents to come play in MN, so that $40M is basically worthless. The only want the Wolves can get veteran talent to come to the team, is in trade, like for Rubio.

The biggest problem with the Wolves draft strategy is that they do not take into account the love of the game. Wiggins did not love the game. KAT does not love the game. And I don’t think Edwards loves the game, he made the statement he would rather play football. These guys play basketball because they were big and athletic, and its better than getting a job, but they don’t love the game.

All of the greats, Loved to play basketball, it was a passion.

AnotherFisherman

The biggest problem with the Wolves draft strategy is that they do not take into account the love of the game. Wiggins did not love the game. KAT does not love the game. And I don’t think Edwards loves the game, he made the statement he would rather play football. These guys play basketball because they were big and athletic, and its better than getting a job, but they don’t love the game.

All of the greats, Loved to play basketball, it was a passion.

There have been a ton of athletes who would rather have played other sports but played the one they did because of their abilities in that sport. Joe Mauer for example, would have rather played football. I never once thought he was lacking effort (insert countless Joe M jokes). Edwards clarified what he meant with an interview on The Jump. He said he loves basketball, just doesn’t watch the game religiously during the regular season. His coach, Tom Crean said he is a workhorse in the gym.

Also, love the Rubio trade.

toddrun

I heard an interview with Rosas, and he said the same as you AnotherFisherman, so it seems they did their homework on this kid. Another thing that came up, in the NBA pre-draft bio, he was listed as 6’5″, 225 pounds. Rosas said when he came in for the face to face, he measured 6’8″, 260 pounds. So the kid is still growing. That is why they have him slated as a Small Forward, not Shooting Guard. Another interesting statement, Rosas said that Edwards strengths are KAT and Russell’s weaknesses, and Edwards weaknesses are KAT and Russell’s strengths, so that should benefit all 3.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Twolves resign Beasley to a big deal. Frankly I’m surprised. Wanted him back before the incident. Kinda hard for me to root for a guy who pulls an AR on some poor family that makes a wrong turn. I also read that he said he wants to play elsewhere (before signing with us) Im hoping they signed him so they can trade him later but not sure if thats the case.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

College hoops is where its at.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

College hoops will be a mess this year also. Although I’ve heard something about bringing many teams into one site for a bunch of games. Gotta get that TV money ya know. wink

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I never said I didn’t know basketball. I don’t claim to be an expert but I think in this particular draft, I would much rather have a proven player than a mid or late first rounder in a draft that was considered one of the worst talent pools in history.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Some day you’ll learn basketball like you think you know baseball!

No you di’nt!

I really don’t like basketball and guys like KAT are the reason why. Don’t give a %^& about winning. I’m happy to concede basketball to you tbro. I can’t think of a better sport for you.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

checked in on the wolves today. this has to be the most cursed franchise of all time. they unload that bum wiggins for DLO but in 2 years he and KAT cannot play together at all. now he is out 6 weeks just after KAT missed 4 weeks with a bad wrist and covid.
    anytime one is healthy the other one is not. then it plays perfectly for Bricky to step up and I watched like 3 maybe 4 minutes and watched him brick 3 straight shots. how is he still in the league? he does try and look cute with that manbun if you are into that…..just take this team out behind the barn and shoot it

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

So???? That 2-0 start isn’t working out?

toddrun

And the worst part about the curse, they owe Golden State their 1st round pick this year (top 3 protected), and what are the chances they actually get a top 3 pick?!?!?

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Unwatchable!!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Unwatchable!!

I don’t know when the Wolves came to be but I can honestly say I haven’t watched 3 games in the life of the franchise. That includes the one game I saw at the Dome. I’m thinking I’m not a basketball guy.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I’ve only been to a handful of games when I’ve gotten free tickets. If offered free tickets now, I would give them to my son.
    Don’t call traveling. Don’t call palming the ball. Guys can get mugged and no foul call. Barely touch the arm or hand well after the shot and a foul is called. Most fade away jump shots are traveling because the pivot foot is picked up before the shot is released. Same thing with up and unders. The pivot foot is picked up before the shot is released.
    I’d say well over half of the fancy moves the players make are traveling.

Pro basketball is basically street ball brought indoors.

I enjoy the no crowds. Less showcasing because there’s nobody for the players to show off to. Like Vince Lombardi told one of his players, “the next time you make it to the end zone, act like you’ve been there before.”

eyeguy507
    SE MN

So???? That 2-0 start isn’t working out?

They just can’t stay healthy. When you have 2 average players as your “stars” and either one or the other is not available, you ain’t going to compete.
    I was really looking forward to a game or 2 here and there but I guess I will check back next year?

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Ant man looks like he could be a star.

The NBA overall is a joke. No parody in the league.

Glad to see you’re back trolling dutch

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’m just a old white guy Crappie what else do I have to do? Cheap entertainment for you so it’s a win, win eh?? coffee

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Ant man looks like he could be a star.

The NBA overall is a joke. No parody in the league.

Glad to see you’re back trolling dutch

Agreed, I haven’t watched an NBA game outside of a wolves game since Jordan’s Bulls teams. I hate this time of year. no sports, fishing dog days, wife makes me work on house crap…..can we fast forward to April?

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Too early to call miss in the draft. We will probably have to wait a few more years to make that confirmation. I would have took Ant man too. The comparison to Wiggz must be same position they play because it ain’t body type and motor. Wonder how much the losing culture gets to him tho?

toddrun

But how do you play Melo with Russell running point? Melo is not a point guard, and neither is Russell. I take Russell over Melo all day long. All this hype over Melo is overrated, look at his stats and compare them to point guards of the past 4-5 year rookies, it isn’t a stand out. Wolves were stuck, they drafted the best fit for the team, unfortunately he was not a standout, but at the draft there was not a standout player. I am sure if they could have traded down, they would have. Melo is going to be Rubio 2.0, and I like Rubio, but that is not an All Star.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

But how do you play Melo with Russell running point?

Russell is hurt or whining 85% of the season so he would’ve gotten a lot of playing time. I think if Ant can improve his shooting percentage he will be a nice player.

The biggest miss here is that Ryan Saunders is the coach. He is a great kid by the looks of it and I really do feel for him after Flip died, but this kid is a terrible coach. And this franchise needs a coach that the players can learn from (but still respect unlike Thibs).

toddrun

61orbt,

Rubio for his entire career average top 5 in assists, steals, rebounds and blocks for a PG. Just because he was weak at scoring, he is under appreciated.

Melo, is overhyped, because of his name and his highlight scoring, media overhyped. His numbers are not that good. He does not make his teammates better, yet. His defense is subpar, not sure where you think he is good on defense.

Either way, I still believe ANT has the skills to be a solid starter in the league, just needs the attitude. That is the problem with the Wolves, no one has the attitude, they are “good” guys, but don’t have the win at all cost mentality. That is why Jimmy Butthead didn’t fit in, and he couldn’t get it through to KAT, so he left. Melo will not be the star on any team he is on, and will be traded around the league just like Rubio.

KAT is a great guy, very talented, the best offensive C in the league, but does not have the mentality to be a winner, or to play NBA defense.

And I agree about Saunders, great guy, likely very basketball intelligent, but not an NBA coach. Forcing a square peg into a round hole.

Too bad previous management chose Wiggins over Lavine, he is turning into a stud too.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Well, they listened today. Saunders fired.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

7-24 that’ll happen.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.