Timberwolves – NBA

• toddrun

Well, the NBA draft is tonight, Wolves have the first pick, and I still don’t have confidence in who they will pick of the top 3 prospects. But, stands to reason, if there were a clear #1 future star, the NBA would not have given that pick to the Wolves in their closed door supposed lottery, they save them for the BIG market teams.

Consensus sounds like it is for them taking Anthony Edwards. Not sure they can really go wrong with Edwards, Wiseman or Ball, its a coin flip between the 3, they are completely different. So then it goes to which fits best on the team.

Edwards – super athletic, strong, 6′-5″ SG, which the Wolves would have a need for, has the ability to be a good defender, but he is basically another Zach LaVine in my opinion, more of a good all around support player than a future superstar.

Wiseman – super athletic 7’1″ center, kind of an old school center rim protector, but has the skills and athletic ability to become one of today’s NBA centers that step out to shoot the 3, personally I think this is the best pick for the Wolves, create a new Twin Towers with him and KAT, he has the athleticism and skill to be a superstar in this league.

Ball – tall, lengthy, 6’7″ PG with exceptional court control with magician like passes, has a great handle on the ball, passes extremely well, his size for a PG should translate to good defender although he does not play defense now, but needs to develop a 3pt shot, and even a mid range shot, and he has the poor shooting mechanics as his brother, could be a superstar like Jason Kidd if he works on it, but odd fit with DeAngelo Russell.

My personal opinion, I think they are going to take Ball, he will make the most media noise to help the team sell tickets, but probably the worst fit for the team. Best case, they can trade to #3 with Charlotte, since they want Wiseman before Golden State, and pick up some future draft picks or good veteran player or 2, and then still get one of the 3.

Who you got?

JoeMX1825
    MN

I think they’ll trade down a few spots (likely with Charlotte who wants Wiseman) and get an additional 1st round pick next year. I then think they take whoever is left of the top players eliminating the pressure of picking the 1st overall pick in a dud draft. I really hope they can get the North Carolina PG at the #17 pick and then get the Gophers Oturu with their 2nd round pick.

I they don’t trade the pick then they should take Edwards…

bigpike

After the trades the bucks made yesterday the fans of the team dont have to worry about a 1st round pick until 2027.

toddrun

Bigpike, you are right, but they may get to watch their team play in the Championship series. Wolves are a LONG way from that, and likely may never get there.

Wiseman is the closest thing to the Greek Freak in this draft, so maybe…..

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

It would make no sense to me that the wolves would draft Wiseman. The Wolves havent brought him in for an interview or a predraft workout. Hes made it quite clear he doesnt want to play in MN behind/with KAT. Additionally, Flip jr envisions this team having 2 superior ball handlers and a team that can run up and down the court with the best of them.

In the perfect scenario, Rosas absolutely loves and is extremely confident in one of Ball or Edwards, he just hasnt made it clear to the media to try to drive up the value of the pick. I wouldnt hate trading #1 to CHA for the 3 and an asset, like what Joe said.

Assuming they dont trade out of the opportunity, I’m on team Ball. Think his incredible size and length will give him the opportunity to develop into a great defender of positions 1-4. He’s already a phenomenal ball handler and passer. Good rebounder too. Each of those attributes improves the wolves on day 1. His shot is inconsistent but so is about every other kids his age entering the NBA. I’d be content with Edwards, but I think Ball could be really, really special. His extremely high upside is worth the risk imo.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I don’t think all 3 of them would make a difference. They don’t play in the East where they only have a couple teams to contend with.

Taylor will take his TV money and watch the value of the franchise continue to go up.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

After the trades the bucks made yesterday the fans of the team dont have to worry about a 1st round pick until 2027.

The NBA draft picks are far and away the least valued assets of any professional sports team. The way the NBA is structured, if you don’t have at least 1 of the top 10-12 players in the entire league…you will not win. Period. In recent years it’s proven that you need at least a couple top 15 guys to make a run.

This isn’t like the NFL where a pro bowl caliber player is swapped for a second round pick. The longevity of NBA careers also lowers the value of draft picks. The Bucks know what they are doing and will be just fine.

Lund4Life

Give me Edwards for the only reason that he can play defense (allegedly). Ball looks good but I heard his defense is awful. With Ball and D-Russ playing in the backcourt and KAT playing the post, the Wolves will give up 150 pts per game.

toddrun

tbro16 – I have no idea what Sanders game plan is?!? I don’t think he has had the players to fit any given system yet.

My thinking on Wiseman follows what the Lakers did, go BIG. Every team is going small ball, fallen in love with the 3pt shot. In pro sports, seems like if you go the opposite of everyone else, it makes for a winner. That is what NE and Bellichek have made a living at, doing the opposite of everyone else. Twin Tower NBA had been a winner for a long time, and both KAT and Wiseman can mirror image each other.

I don’t have a problem with Ball, and I agree he “could be” a great player. But he has holes too, does not play defense, bad 3pt shooting percentage, bad FT shooting percentage, unorthodox shoot motion that may make it hard to get better. Basically, right now, he is a copy of Ricky Rubio, and saying that, I am a big fan of Rubio and don’t think he gets the credit he should. Every team he goes to wins more games with him, and when he leaves they lose more game without him.

It will be interesting, to a point, because I also agree, they cannot contend in the West with the players they have, or that they will draft. Mediocre at best, but good enough for Taylor to make his money.

Scott Gergen
    Hastings, MN

Ball has no shot, no defense, and a PITA father to deal with. Ick. Yes, he can pass. So could Rubio and we see where that got us. Take Edwards or trade if they get an overwhelming offer.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Can you blame Wiseman? I wouldn’t want to play with Kat either. No defense, doesn’t give a darn about winning and is the biggest whiner in professional sports. This team won’t ever win unless he learns how to play or leaves town. I hope they draft him. Would be nice to have a big man that actually plays like one.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

Can you blame Wiseman? I wouldn’t want to play with Kat either. No defense, doesn’t give a darn about winning and is the biggest whiner in professional sports. This team won’t ever win unless he learns how to play or leaves town. I hope they draft him. Would be nice to have a big man that actually plays like one.

Couldn’t be more right

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Mahto are your sports comments always meant to troll me? Or do we really think dead opposite on everything sports related? jester

KAT is one of the most skilled big man in the league. If he had just an ounce of talent around him he would be considered a top 10-15 player. He was all NBA the year Jimmy was around. It appeared KAT took a huge leap forward defensively in the Wolves first handful of games last year but two injuries derailed his season. The dude is just 24. Not sure how you could watched a TWolves game in the last 4 years and thought their only chance at success is getting rid of him. Absolutely absurd

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

Mahto are your sports comments always meant to troll me? Or do we really think dead opposite on everything sports related? jester

KAT is one of the most skilled big man in the league. If he had just an ounce of talent around him he would be considered a top 10-15 player. He was all NBA the year Jimmy was around. It appeared KAT took a huge leap forward defensively in the Wolves first handful of games last year but two injuries derailed his season. The dude is just 24. Not sure how you could watched a TWolves game in the last 4 years and thought their only chance at success is getting rid of him. Absolutely absurd

I haven’t watched a Wolves game in 10 years (maybe longer) Have they given me a reason to tune in?

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

To each his own. I love basketball so I’ll always watch the wolves, no matter how awful they are. Since college I’ve watched fewer and fewer games but I still watch atleast 1/4 of them and check box scores for every game.

I just dont understand how one could watch them, even just once, and think man that KAT guy makes this team WORSE. They have to get rid of him to win. ???

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Pretty sure when you can’t make a defensive stop you don’t win games. KAT is a phenomenal offensive talent. That in itself is not enough to make you a top 10-15 player. Even in the NBA where Defense is non existent (except for the teams that go far into the playoffs). The players in the league don’t even respect him. Especially after Jimmy Buckets wiped the floor with him with the scrub team two seasons ago.

To summarize, I think you and I just have completely opposite opinions on what constitutes winning talent. But hey, none of our favorite teams have any clue on how to win so why should we think we know what it would look like?

Thank god I don’t care enough about basketball to start proving you wrong about that. I have to do that enough in the Twins threads.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Thank god I don’t care enough about basketball to start proving you wrong about that. I have to do that enough in the Twins threads.

jester rotflol whatever you say mahto lol

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

jester rotflol whatever you say mahto lol

whistling

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I haven’t watched a Wolves game in 10 years (maybe longer) Have they given me a reason to tune in?

And yet you have posted more about them in the last 10 years than all the rest of us combined Lol.

I hope they make a deal with Charlotte. If not I guess I’d rather roll the dice with Wiseman. Towns is gifted enough to play the 4 and stretch the floor. Wiseman can man the middle and roll to the basket off pick and rolls

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Now now boys, don’t fight. Head over to the Twins thread and debate how the careers of Cano and Cruz is similar.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Drafting Edwards is how I expected the draft to begin. I just didn’t expect the Wolves to trade for old friend, Ricky Rubio. Wolves now own 3 picks around the end of the first round. Can they package them and move back up?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I kind of like the move. We have a couple solid shooters for him to dish to unlike his last stint here AND he plays good D.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

KAT is Kevin Love—- 3 pt shooter,soft inside, rebounds a little. I’m not sold. Rubio is back interesting.

toddrun

Edwards was the safe pick, likely fits the best for the Wolves, but has a lower ceiling than Ball and Wiseman. I compared Ball to Rubio, and the Wolves did one better by going and getting Rubio back. It will be interesting how they play him with Russell, looks like Rubio will be playing for the 6th man award. Oddly, I think Rubio is better court vision, better passing, and definitely better defense than Russell.

I read a lot about the international players before the draft – when they drafted Aleksej, I thought that was a great pick, the Serbian Unicorn, but then the trade happened, and it is somewhat confusing, but figured they valued the 2 extra picks. Then they trade 2 picks to move up to draft Balmaro, who could be special as well, compare him to his countryman Ginobli, but may not come to US to play either.

McDaniels fell in the draft and was good value pick, a solid forward and at best a good player off the bench, good upside pick.

Still don’t know who they are going to start opening day?!?!

KAT and Russell for sure, I assume Culver and Okogie, and then likely Edwards.

Do you think they would start Rubio, Russell and Edwards all at the same time?!

Don’t see a playoff team here either way.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I think they made good choices, I would have preferred they kept their picks and taken Oturu in the 2nd round where he fell too, but they seem happy with the guys they got. The expert reviews I’ve read said that Balmaro was the best “pick and wait” pick in the draft with a very high upside, but needs a few years to mature…

I have good vibes about Edwards, he seems well grounded and has high potential to become a star scorer.

Finally, i’m happy they got Rubio back, he still can’t shoot worth a lick, but he’s a good defender, great passer and is a really smart player who they can put the ball in his hands at the end of games and know the right decision will be made and get the ball into the hands of our scorers.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

To me the Rubio trade didnt really make much sense, other than the simple fact that the games will be slightly more enjoyable to watch now than what they would have been without him. Certainly doesnt push the needle, maybe makes a 25 win team a 28 win team with him? Doubt its that dramatic, but I think they’ll be somewhere along those lines. Hope I’m wrong, but either way it looks terrible financially.

Sure, Rubio can do a few things that other players on the roster cant do. Pass, dribble, be a team leader, and especially play defense, but now the Wolves have 0 cap flexibility and gave up a 1st round asset to do it. Not my idea of a rebuild

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

To me the Rubio trade didnt really make much sense, other than the simple fact that the games will be slightly more enjoyable to watch now than what they would have been without him. Certainly doesnt push the needle, maybe makes a 25 win team a 28 win team with him? Doubt its that dramatic, but I think they’ll be somewhere along those lines. Hope I’m wrong, but either way it looks terrible financially.

Sure, Rubio can do a few things that other players on the roster cant do. Pass, dribble, be a team leader, and especially play defense, but now the Wolves have 0 cap flexibility and gave up a 1st round asset to do it. Not my idea of a rebuild

Agreed. I don’t mind what Rubio brings to the table, but this move seems to just lock them in to being about the 10th best team in the West the next couple seasons. I’d have rather seen them tear it down completely and solely build around KAT, Russell, Edwards, and the other young guys on the roster. Edwards is going to have to learn how to be effective and impact the game off the ball. Guys like Rubio, Russell, and KAT handle the ball a ton. Hopefully he is a slasher who takes the ball to the rim hard and creates pressure. My gut tells me we may unfortunately see Edwards sit and shoot a lot of jump shots with the makeup of the team.

JoeMX1825
    MN

All of the legit NBA PG prospects were gone by pick #17, so they traded for a known talent backup and mentor and then drafted a long term high ceiling prospect that will need time to develop. Not sure what else they could have done…

toddrun

Rubio is all about putting butts in the seats and earning Taylor more money, not winning. Rubio is still well liked in MN, and will sell tickets regardless of what he does on the court. He isn’t even a good veteran presence for the young guys, Russell is already established himself, Edwards is a completely different player. All about ticket sales, jersey sales, and whatever else fills Taylor’s pockets. Plan must be to let Beasley walk now, Rubio is the solid 6th man off the bench PG.

I don’t believe KAT is the kind of player to bring a Championship here, but I also don’t think Taylor is the kind of owner to bring a Championship here either. Whether KG would be a good owner or not, I know he would do everything in his power to try and win a Championship as an owner, albeit a minority owner.

toddrun

Just read an article, Wolves are going small ball like everyone else, be a sheep and follow. Projected Starting lineup –

C – KAT
    PF – Hernangomez
    SF – Edwards (this is a stretch)
    SG – Russell
    PG – Rubio
    First off the bench – Beasley (if re-signed), Okogie

And they signed Ashton Hagans PG Kentucky, undrafted, great pickup.

tbro16 likely nailed it 25-28 win team, no where near the playoffs.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.