Thoughts on Elliot and 2B ice fishing (formerly Thorne Bros) ?

• usmarine0352

Recently found out about Elliot and 2B rods ice fishing which are made by the Thorne Bros. (Paul & Gregg) who sold Thorne Bros and then later started Elliot rods.

Elliot rods appear to be their premier line while 2B is their value brand rods.

I went to Reeds in Onamia and checked them out and they seemed nice. The Elliots run about $120 each and the 2B’s are about $80.

What do people think about the quality and price and is there better rods in those price ranges for walleyes?

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I have built around 15 rods on their open water blanks and I like them. They have great action. But they have been out of stock for almost 2 years now. I am sure you are looking more at their hard water line. The hard water blanks are top notch. Right in line with the blanks that Thorne Brothers, TUCR, JT, DH, … offer. The only difference being the tapper of the blank. Their construction seems to be on par also with the others. The Syncork is a nice material that is lighter than normal cork and will holds up better over the years. Gregg has always been good to work with.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Anything those brothers build is top notch. Syncork is awesome as well.

Brady Valberg

I have built around 15 rods on their open water blanks and I like them. They have great action. But they have been out of stock for almost 2 years now. I am sure you are looking more at their hard water line. The hard water blanks are top notch. Right in line with the blanks that Thorne Brothers, TUCR, JT, DH, … offer. The only difference being the tapper of the blank. Their construction seems to be on par also with the others. The Syncork is a nice material that is lighter than normal cork and will holds up better over the years. Gregg has always been good to work with.

I will 2nd the long rods ive built 8 or 9. Top notch closest thing to my old Loomis I could find power and action wise.

usmarine0352

Is their taper a good or bad thing?

How do they compare to Mags ice rods?

MrWalleye74

What Elliott rod do you recommend for perch/walleye?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Not to hijack this thread, but who builds thorne bros rods now?

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MrWalleye74 wrote:</div>

What Elliott rod do you recommend

Evolution 44LF

Good crappie rod also

That 44 looks like a sweet rod, but also consider the 32” Paragon. That length was a better fit for me. Very sensitive and works well with small to medium spoons and larger tungsten jigs. I bought for perch and walleye, but will work on panfish as well.

Cameron white

I have 11 Elliott’s, and 3 2b select rods. Hands down the best production rods out there. And yes I’m including the “ custom “ builders as they are production rods as well.

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Rippineyes or Walleye Perca are excellent walleye rods. Perca is also an excellent big perch rod.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Haven’t caught fish on either but have messed around with Elliot rods in a few stores and they feel very nice.

Cameron white

Here’s a diagram for you.

Attachments:
    1. C9E331EA-E8E0-44F6-8305-62087FBBC7CD.png

Wardcst

The elliot 44 lf is best rod I have.
    Great for panfish and even better for keeping walleyes on.
    I use it for hole hoping.
    But also excells in my otter hideout.
    My go to rod.
    Took me 2 seasons to find it though.

PmB

44″L works great in my otter cottage. Just have to jig from the hip.

MrWalleye74

I Ordered the deadstick and Fast Draw.

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

Can any Elliot owners comment on the ES44UL-XF?

I have some long power noodle rods, but they shine best with 5mm tungstens. I’m looking for one that loads better with 4mm.

Cameron white

Can any Elliot owners comment on the ES44UL-XF?

I have some long power noodle rods, but they shine best with 5mm tungstens. I’m looking for one that loads better with 4mm.

I have one. Have it rigged but haven’t used it yet.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Are Elliott rods in stock anywhere. I’d love to get my hands on one before the weekend trip out west

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Are Elliott rods in stock anywhere. I’d love to get my hands on one before the weekend trip out west

Could check with Joe’s. They were 20% off a couple weeks ago and had some in stock. I picked up their last paragon, but they had others at the time.
    Where are you heading west?

usmarine0352

Reed’s in Onamia had a bunch.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Is their taper a good or bad thing?

How do they compare to Mags ice rods?

90% of ice rods are solid carbon or fiber glass blanks. The taper (thickness of the rod blank at a spot on the blank) creates the action of the rod. A slight diameter difference here and there will change the way the rod reacts. Here is a small example of some of the rod tapers that I have recorded. (others have helped me make this database) I have not had my hands on Mags rods.

I played with the Evolution 44LF at the ice show and fell in love with it. I have been shaping different blanks to make my own version of that rod since then. I am hoping to have 5 versions ready for testing next year.

Attachments:
    1. Rod-Taper.jpg

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Not to hijack this thread, but who builds thorne bros rods now?

I know St.Croix / Rodgeeks makes Thorne Brothers open water rod blanks to their specs. I think Batson Enterprises makes Thorne Brothers hard water blanks. Thorne Brothers assembles all of their rods in house in Blaine MN.

TheCrappieFisherman
    West Metro

Cabin Fever and Scheels had a few during the season, not sure what is left if any.

Perch Patrol

I have 13 Elliott’s and 4 2B love them! Bought doubles of a few of my favorites to avoid running into availability issues if something were to happen.

Hey

Are 2B made entirely in China and imported via ship to the US?

Are Elliot blanks made overseas and made into rods in the USA?

What’s your go-to China rod?

And why not support TUCR or JT that is made in MN? They may have to outsource the blanks…but where are the blanks being made in USA?

PmB

Jt or tucr doesnt have models that compare to the elliot evolutions. Or syncork. Otherwise i would

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Are 2B made entirely in China and imported via ship to the US?

Are Elliot blanks made overseas and made into rods in the USA?

What’s your go-to China rod?

And why not support TUCR or JT that is made in MN? They may have to outsource the blanks…but where are the blanks being made in USA?

Paul and Gregg thorne are from Bemidji mn and built a store in Blaine. So I don’t see the difference besides preference of rods. Where do the blanks for jt or tucr come from. I doubt they are all us products

Hey

Jt or tucr doesnt have models that compare to the elliot evolutions. Or syncork. Otherwise i would

Why support China economy? Agree that JT and TUCR are behind. Why won’t JT or TUVT make these rod lengths?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.