Thief River

• prieser
    Byron, MN

Heading up to TRF next weekend the 19th. Anyone fished up there in the winter? I have fished the Red River in the summer, but never ice fished the area. Any help would be great.

Thanks much

ib_jigged

Lots of people fish the river here, summer and winter. With the Red Lake River feeding from Lower Red Lake there are lots of nice size walleyes here and also some dandy northerns. A local club recently stocked the river in town with a bunch of crappies and walleyes too!

prieser
    Byron, MN

Super cool, bait shops will let me know what working I assume.

Brad Holtman

Grew up fishing that river. There is always a big group a fish houses near the beach where the two rivers meet. You’re better off going up the red a ways and try to find a spot where the current is still and you might have some luck. Ice was always pretty good up there, but with any river be careful. I’ve caught some pretty nice Red Lake walleyes out of that river and would slam northerns and crappies in the spring. Never had fast and furious fishing in the winter, but if your stuck in Thief its worth it. Like I said before, getting in some slower moving water will help a lot. Good Luck!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.