.22LR Question

• marsh_monster
    Metro

I have a thompson center .22LR and so far I am very impressed with the quality of the gun. My issue is when I get about 250 rounds through it, it gums up (wont cycle). I use plenty of oil and Im thinking its the rounds. I shoot remingtons, and it seems these rounds are extremely dirty…Long story short, I need some suggestions for some new rounds that arnt as dirty and shoot a little cleaner! thanks!

Heres a pic just in case its needed…

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

My marlin is prone to this. I really wish I had the confidence to take it apart and clean it properly.

I have been shooting the Winchester SuperX lately. It seems to jam less.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Plenty of oil may be part of the problem as well. I have switched to all Teflon spray lube’s and have not had near as many issues since. Oil and powder residue just does not make a good mix

marsh_monster
    Metro

Quote:

My marlin is prone to this. I really wish I had the confidence to take it apart and clean it properly.

I have been shooting the Winchester SuperX lately. It seems to jam less.

try youtube for a good tear down vid…theres actually some really good videos on there!

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

I like blazer alot for my Ruger mk3 and my boys S&W AR15/22. All rimfire is dirty but we never have any problems with these. I Just clean the gun after each visit to the range and we have no problems.

johnee

I second the idea of going on YouTube for a video tutorial and doing a complete teardown and clean. I’m also wondering if “plenty” of oil is too much.

The first thing I do when I get a new gun is tear it down and strip all the grease, gop, gunk, and goo off of it. I almost never use grease and I use very little oil or dry lube in certain applications.

Grouse

marsh_monster
    Metro

Quote:

I second the idea of going on YouTube for a video tutorial and doing a complete teardown and clean. I’m also wondering if “plenty” of oil is too much.

The first thing I do when I get a new gun is tear it down and strip all the grease, gop, gunk, and goo off of it. I almost never use grease and I use very little oil or dry lube in certain applications.

Grouse

Growing up I was always taught that metal on metal should always have some kind of lube…whats the reason for this?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Growing up I was always taught that metal on metal should always have some kind of lube…whats the reason for this?

Lubricant residue (especially wet) attracts grime (dirt, dust, powder residue) that can interfere with moving parts.

johnee

Quote:

Some kind of lube? Yes. Lots of lube? No.

The key is just the right amount, of just the right type, in ONLY the right locations.

Keeping in mind, like most here, I’m a hunter and I use my firearms for hunting. I don’t shoot in rapid fire comps, I’m not in millitary or law enforcement, and so forth, so I don’t put the extreme stesses on guns that might require more lube.

The problem is that too much lube attracts grit and dirt and therefore can become worse than no lube at all. I’m not a fan of grease at all (with very limited exceptions). Since most hunting guns sit in the cabinet 95% of the time, over time grease dries out and forms a muddy gunk that can impede function.

Also, I hate to see fine old guns ruined by excessive oil seeping down into the stock. It’s just a shame to see that.

Grouse

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

As with any autoloader the only way to keep it running perfectly is to disassemble and clean regularly. No amount of lubrication is going to replace a real cleaning. That being said I dont tear my auto-22’s down much but do when they need it. I mostly use thin oil like Rem-oil but have dabbled in some heavier oils that I have been using on the AR. I have been getting back into grease as well but only in key areas of my pistols, AR and shotguns. I have not seen any issues using grease but then again I regualarly clean the weapons I use it on so there is no wasy for buildup of any kind. That Thompson 22 is sweet. I almost bought one once. I would learn how to tear it down then never worry about this problem again.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.