Rifle Calibers

• marsh_monster
    Metro

I came across a .260 and was wondering where this caliber sits compared to (7mm, 30-06 etc) This is in reference to possibly purchasing another deer rifle…

twoscrews43
    nd

i think you can go federal.com an look at the balistic chart

marsh_monster
    Metro

Thanks! That answered everything I needed

jeff_heeg
    Marshfield WI.

The 260 is ranked as one of the best all around mid to long range guns, the other being the 6.5×47 Lapua. A low recoil caliber yet sending a 139 grain bullet down range with the BC comparison of a 180 gr. 300 Win mag. thus making this a very effective round at hitting steel or other intended targets out to 1000 or more.

Pure fun to shoot and highly accurate!

Also if you ever get in the North Central WI. area, your more then welcome to shoot the 260 suppressed or unsuppressed as well as the 6.5×47 or 338 Lapua mag. suppressed or unsuppressed as well.

Note all accuracy results are dependent on the accuracy of the rifle build, shooters true capabilities and load development.

Here’s an article with a more in-depth look and comparison of the 260s capabilities. It has always been one of my favorite write ups and take note its 8 pages long so scroll to the bottom to click onto the next page and enjoy

http://demigodllc.com/articles/the-case-for-260-remington/?p=1

Jeff

johnee

Quote:

I came across a .260 and was wondering where this caliber sits compared to (7mm, 30-06 etc) This is in reference to possibly purchasing another deer rifle…

Well, if you look at it in terms of diameter, 6.5 MM is .264, whereas 6 MM is exactly .243 and 7 MM is .280.

However, the 260 Remington is a bit of a misnomer, because it actually uses the 6.5 MM (.264 bullet).

The advantage of the 260 / 6.5 MM rifles is that they really pick up where the .243/6 MM /.25 chamberings leave off in terms of being able to push bigger bullets. You can go all the way up to 160 GR bullets with the 260, so there is considerable overlap with both the 7 MM chambersings and even the .30 caliber chamberings to some extent.

Factory ammo selections are going to be somewhat limited in most retail outlets. I wouldn’t want to overplay this, however, because in most decent shops there will be some on offer and even in discount chains like Walmart, I’ve seen it on the shelf. Obviously, you won’t often find the array of choices that you will with the more common 7 MM, 30 caliber, or 243 cartridges, but it’s usually available.

I think the 260 would be a great open-ground deer and antelope caliber. You can push 120 grain loads right up to the 3000 fps mark.

The elephant in the room that I can see is that where is the mention in this discussion of the venerable .270 or absolutely devastating .270 WSM? This is where things tend to go all propeller-headed with lots of terms like “ballistic coefficient” getting thrown around to little or no good effect.

The bottom line is a lot easier to draw. The fact of the matter is there is going to be a lot more 270 ammo on the shelves, so if this matters to you then you have to consider this angle. The .270 WSM in particular pushes bullets even up to 150 grains into the 3000 fps range. The potential to do this combined with the range of ammo available has to be considered.

Grouse

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.