I’m now sold on Laser Grips!

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

You might remember a post I did a while back about my Glock 26 shooting to the left. I was told by many people that it’s not the gun it was the shooter…but no one could tell me what I was doing wrong. I was convinced my 9mm subcompact was never going to hit a bullseye without doing what a number of Glock guys told me…aim to the right. To be honest, I felt that although it was a subcompact, bench resting it…the darn thing should at least group around the bullseye! I was ready to sell it.

Ted Peck posted about Crimson Trace Lasergrips around that time. I sent him a couple PM’s about my problem, wondering if a laser would help me. He gave me the thumbs up and the next thing I know, I’m looking at the directions on how to install a new grip. It took me longer to read the three step directions than to install the grips! Push out one pin, slide on the grips, replace the pin…oops! Install batteries first! Took all of two minutes to install.

So, I get to the range. Crimson Trace claims that they are factory sighted for 50 feet although some minor adjustment may be needed. (Note: Most laser sites are non adjustable for windage and elevation as CT is) Fifty feet is too far for me….30 feet is out there, but I felt it was doable. I only had enough time to run about 30 rounds down range that day…couldn’t really tell anything…except how shaky I am!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Today I had more time and armed with the directions and the tiny, tiny allen wrench (they give you two) for adjustments, off to Bill’s Range I went.

Using a bench rest I shot 5 times… The group labeled 1 was to the right and slightly high…couple tweeks… the group labeled 2 was moving in closer…but I turned the elevation screw the wrong direction. And the five shot group labeled 3 put a smile on my face!
    Sighting in a laser is a bit different than iron sights. With a laser, shoot with the iron sites…then move the laser dot towards the impact point.

For the rest of the day all shots were place in or very close to the 10 ring unless I pulled the gun as I squeezed the trigger.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Today I had more time and armed with the directions and the tiny, tiny allen wrench (they give you two) for adjustments, off to Bill’s Range I went.

Using a bench rest I shot 5 times… The group labeled 1 was to the right and slightly high…couple tweeks… the group labeled 2 was moving in closer…but I turned the elevation screw the wrong direction. And the five shot group labeled 3 put a smile on my face!
    Sighting in a laser is a bit different than iron sights. With a laser, shoot with the iron sites…then move the laser dot towards the impact point.

For the rest of the day all shots were place in or very close to the 10 ring unless I pulled the gun as I squeezed the trigger.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Beside zeroing in my G-26, the other features are very impressive. I have bi-focal lenses in my glasses. There are times when I just can’t get a clear view of the sight picture. Using the laser dot…this is completely gone!

The switch is in the grip and stays in the off position until I grip the gun. I don’t have to worry about flipping a switch …it’s a thoughtless process. The batteries last about 4 working hours and start dimming to alert the shooter to replace them. CT used their heads when they used the common inexpensive batteries that can be purchased at any Wal mart.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Beside zeroing in my G-26, the other features are very impressive. I have bi-focal lenses in my glasses. There are times when I just can’t get a clear view of the sight picture. Using the laser dot…this is completely gone!

The switch is in the grip and stays in the off position until I grip the gun. I don’t have to worry about flipping a switch …it’s a thoughtless process. The batteries last about 4 working hours and start dimming to alert the shooter to replace them. CT used their heads when they used the common inexpensive batteries that can be purchased at any Wal mart.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

My other concern with a laser is that I’ve heard is they can’t be seen in the daylight. This turned out to be a non-issue as today I went outside in bright sunlight with the ground covered with snow… I paced off 25 feet for the effective range of the red dot using the fresh snow for the background. In lower light…that dot seems to go forever, well past the effective range of the 9mm.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

My other concern with a laser is that I’ve heard is they can’t be seen in the daylight. This turned out to be a non-issue as today I went outside in bright sunlight with the ground covered with snow… I paced off 25 feet for the effective range of the red dot using the fresh snow for the background. In lower light…that dot seems to go forever, well past the effective range of the 9mm.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Here’s a video if you have an interest in learning more about Crimson Trace Laser Grips. This is a broadband video.

Laser Training and Defense Techniques

A 15-minute introduction to laser use, this video demonstrates Lasergrips instant, accurate target acquisition in dynamic and low light situations. Accelerate your handgun skills and get the basics in self-defense from the experts at Crimson Trace.

http://www.crimsontrace.com/ltdt.wmv

I’m not trying to make this sound like a commercial…it’s hard not too since I’ve become a Crimson Trace believer!!!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Here’s a video if you have an interest in learning more about Crimson Trace Laser Grips. This is a broadband video.

Laser Training and Defense Techniques

A 15-minute introduction to laser use, this video demonstrates Lasergrips instant, accurate target acquisition in dynamic and low light situations. Accelerate your handgun skills and get the basics in self-defense from the experts at Crimson Trace.

http://www.crimsontrace.com/ltdt.wmv

I’m not trying to make this sound like a commercial…it’s hard not too since I’ve become a Crimson Trace believer!!!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Sorry, I posted a link to the incorrect video. I’ve edited the last post to direct you to the correct video. It’s much better than the one I had link to!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Sorry, I posted a link to the incorrect video. I’ve edited the last post to direct you to the correct video. It’s much better than the one I had link to!

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I know my fathers 9 mm Beretta has a laser site. I know that he loves it. I tried it at the GTG and found that for me it shot low and right. I understand what you mean about being shaky, that little dot sure moves around. I found that if I lightly held the gun it did not move nearly as much.
    I am left handed so that might have skewed things a little

Ron

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I know my fathers 9 mm Beretta has a laser site. I know that he loves it. I tried it at the GTG and found that for me it shot low and right. I understand what you mean about being shaky, that little dot sure moves around. I found that if I lightly held the gun it did not move nearly as much.
    I am left handed so that might have skewed things a little

Ron

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Slider…If that was a Crimson Trace laser and I think it was, the dot can be adjusted. I shouldn’t matter if you’re a south paw…

The above photo is what the black photo above that looks like with light. The shooter is hiding behind cover and using the laser to aquire the target…

Sure glad I got the honey do list done today!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Slider…If that was a Crimson Trace laser and I think it was, the dot can be adjusted. I shouldn’t matter if you’re a south paw…

The above photo is what the black photo above that looks like with light. The shooter is hiding behind cover and using the laser to aquire the target…

Sure glad I got the honey do list done today!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Why when we practice with our handguns do we stand up right and shoot?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Why when we practice with our handguns do we stand up right and shoot?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I started shooting left handed using the Crimson Trace Laser Grips…

Steve (at Bill’s North) gave me the “look” while getting me bandaids.

“That left a mark” was never so fitting.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I started shooting left handed using the Crimson Trace Laser Grips…

Steve (at Bill’s North) gave me the “look” while getting me bandaids.

“That left a mark” was never so fitting.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

They are my next investment! I am thinking Christmas?
    I shot Brian’s at Bill’s, and was very impressed! I shot a lot of competition over the years, and this is like cheating!
    I would love to try them on my Kimber!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

They are my next investment! I am thinking Christmas?
    I shot Brian’s at Bill’s, and was very impressed! I shot a lot of competition over the years, and this is like cheating!
    I would love to try them on my Kimber!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

So far…the only thing that I don’t like about them is when shooting left hand…you don’t need to use the sights…because…well, where the dot is, is where the hole is made…had I used my sights…I would have noticed my thumb knuckle was in the way…an the slide might not have shaved part of the knuckle off…I pulled the trigger and said…Dang, that’s going to hurt! and it did…

Chris, with your 45 cal…you’ll see a little red dot then it will become a big see through dot.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

So far…the only thing that I don’t like about them is when shooting left hand…you don’t need to use the sights…because…well, where the dot is, is where the hole is made…had I used my sights…I would have noticed my thumb knuckle was in the way…an the slide might not have shaved part of the knuckle off…I pulled the trigger and said…Dang, that’s going to hurt! and it did…

Chris, with your 45 cal…you’ll see a little red dot then it will become a big see through dot.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Hey Ferny! Did you get your’s sighted in yet? I was going to ask you the otherday…but Teresa told me to shut up and listen… again!

Theresa? Are you on here yet??

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Hey Ferny! Did you get your’s sighted in yet? I was going to ask you the otherday…but Teresa told me to shut up and listen… again!

Theresa? Are you on here yet??

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

Brian, I have only shot it with the laser grips the one time. Theresa wouldn’t let us qualify with dots :-(…oh well.
    From my experience so far I love them and highly recommend them!

Ferny.

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

Brian, I have only shot it with the laser grips the one time. Theresa wouldn’t let us qualify with dots :-(…oh well.
    From my experience so far I love them and highly recommend them!

Ferny.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Ya know, I was thinking about that…why couldn’t we use lazers in qualifying? Maybe it IS cheating!

We’ll have to fix that Ferny!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Ya know, I was thinking about that…why couldn’t we use lazers in qualifying? Maybe it IS cheating!

We’ll have to fix that Ferny!

JulieL
    Scandia, MN

Ferny, If you go to Bill’s to sight it in let me know. I have to also and just haven’t taken the time.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.